"Kind of Blue" - My new 1988 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jamieson22

SILVER Star
Threads
Been wanting an '89 Land Cruiser for at least the last 20 years. Not even sure why I wanted an "'89" so much, just think my uneducated way of preferring the look of a 62 over a 60. Used to search a couple times a year to see what was available, but always as a window shopping.

Then a couple months ago the looking got a little more serious and I was finding 60 and 62s I liked. Learned a lot from this forum, got tons of great advice (big thanks to @Major Nelson and @Seth S), and finally decided that if I was gonna do it it had to be a 62. My kids are 8 and 10 and wanted them to have safety of shoulder belts and headrests in back.

That helped focus my search. Was scanning MUD, CL, and FB Marketplace across the country a couple times a week. Viewing photos, videos. etc. Started negotiating with a few folks. Just couple not find a deal I was comfortable with. Then I saw a response to an ISO on MUD and reached out to them. Couple days of talking and I now own this '88 62 named "Kind of Blue" (runner up was "Stella Blue").

Truck is in great shape and just rolled to 147k miles when I drove it today. Person I bought it from had Specialty 4wd in Walton, KY service it with standard fluids/belts/etc., knuckles, and added an emu 2.5" lift w/ 33s, and White Knuckle rock sliders. Also has a nice Sony double DIN stereo, upgraded speakers, backup camera and bluetooth wireless. Beyond that it is pretty stock and clean.

Was hesitant to tag this a "build" thread as really not sure I'll be building as much as just maintaining. But I guess we'll see. First project is get the discharge hose rebuilt as it is blown so has no AC. Found local shop that still does R12 so plan to just stick with it. Also think the door light isn't working but have not played with it much - may just be a bulb.

Arriving from KY to IL 2 days ago:

IMG_3596.jpg

Pics from today:

IMG_3610.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3612.jpg

IMG_3613.jpg

So clean. Congrats. Love those two-tones!

Yeah keep looking at it and am amazed how clean things are. I believe it is original paint as well but seems too good to be. I don't see too many two-tone blue ones around.

I brought it to my local shop I use for detailing today and they said it isn't even worth it right now. Also went there for a quote on tint. I have always HATED the non-tinted aquarium looks on trucks/wagons but something about this one is changing my mind. It changed from a "get tinted ASAP" to "may not tint at all".

Oh also has this fancy pinstripe. LOL

IMG_3617.jpg

Regarding tint, wait. Wait until you’ve spent more time driving it. You’re not in the Deep South or desert. Don’t go full black-out until you want to go dark. I thought the same about my white 62 but opted against it and am fully satisfied in hot, humid central VA. No tint needed.

Wow. Super sweet clean 62! The BEST color combo in my opinion. What stereo did the previous owner install and do you like it? Best of luck with it!

Wow. Super sweet clean 62! The BEST color combo in my opinion. What stereo did the previous owner install and do you like it? Best of luck with it!
It is a Sony XAV-AX1000. Have only used it for FM so far and it was good enough. Meaning can hear stereo clearly over the 62 noises. Having the backup camera is a huge plus so love that part. The camera is mounted at the top of the rear license frame. It has SiriusXM which we use daily in other cars, just haven't added it to our account yet. Also CarPlay which I have never used before by my wife loves in her Volvo. Also seems you can plug a USB drive into the front and spec say it will play FLAC so will likely use that the most.

Regarding tint, wait. Wait until you’ve spent more time driving it. You’re not in the Deep South or desert. Don’t go full black-out until you want to go dark. I thought the same about my white 62 but opted against it and am fully satisfied in hot, humid central VA. No tint needed.
Appreciate the advice and that is my plan. If anything I think I'd do like a 75% ceramic tint so something very light.

Happy i could be of some help. This is an incredibly clean and pristine Land Cruiser!

I’m glad you found something that matched your budget and wants without being a scam.

Holy heck, she's a beaut! Now squirrel it away until you guys are done salting the bejeesus out of roads for the winter!

Holy heck, she's a beaut! Now squirrel it away until you guys are done salting the bejeesus out of roads for the winter!
Am driving as much as I can before the first snow/salt falls. One of the photos you can see my Subaru Outback daily that is now in its new home in the driveway. Lost its garage spot to the 62.

Wow! Super clean. Congrats on the rig. Truly a beautiful example. :cheers:

Nice truck! Love the perfect dashboard.

With a hydraulic press and a block of wood, you could get 90% of that front bumper dent out of there. But, there is a trick to removing the bumpers without dorking up the bumper bolts - you lock the bumper bolt heads down tight with a c-clamp before removing the nut underneath.

Nice truck! Love the perfect dashboard.

With a hydraulic press and a block of wood, you could get 90% of that front bumper dent out of there. But, there is a trick to removing the bumpers without dorking up the bumper bolts - you lock the bumper bolt heads down tight with a c-clamp before removing the nut underneath.

The seller mentioned the dent looks way worse in photos than in person. Once I got it I agree. Also seems like front plate may make it even less noticeable so will see once they arrive.

So as nice as this 62 is it still certainly has some issues one would expect with an old vehicle. Any advice on how best to tackle?

The passenger front door has a small rust-through. Is in a weird spot but perhaps someone knows what may cause this? Guessing a bad window seal? The bottom edge has slight visible rust as well but still totally solid. Already reached out a local retired autobody guy that now works out of his barn shop on the door and was thrown a rough $450 to cut/fabricate/repair/paint the door issue. Reasonable?

IMG_3635.jpg

Also the rain guttuer above driver's door has a few bubbles"

IMG_3633.jpg

As does the top passenger corner of windshield:

IMG_3632.jpg

You need to pull the door panel and see what's going on inside the door. Odd place for rust, but not unheard of.

Ultimately (after any repairs) you will want to squirt oil/ATF or grease in the bottoms of your doors (the seam area) to prevent future rust. Close the door on some newspapers to soak up what leaks out.

Check the lower seams on the tailgate and hatch as well (and the hood, for that matter). Any folded seam is a place for rust to start. Your roofline (rain gutter area) has body filler on it, and has rusted in the past. Check the 'floor' of the rain gutter to see if it is sound or needs sealing. The windshield area, too, has had rust in the past that is sprouting again. Those areas (once fully cleaned/de-rusted) could be touched up with a brush.

Whatever you do, the truck must be parked inside and not driven in the rain any more than absolutely necessary. Sadly, that will be hard to do in Illinois.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom