Killer Puddle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All

So today in the crazy rains we are having I got a little cruiser happy and drove my truck through this huge puddle pretty fast. It was on the passsenger side. Now the truck idles horribly and puffs out black smoke. It almost feels like its running on half the cylinders. Any idea what I damaged? I pulled the air cleaner thinking it sucked water in but it was dry. Any and all help is appreciated! Oh and its a 12ht.

The turbo gauge also is going crazy flickering all over. Lots of Black smoke!!

Last edited:
Hey All

So today in the crazy rains we are having I got a little cruiser happy and drove my truck through this huge puddle pretty fast. It was on the passsenger side. Now the truck idles horribly and puffs out black smoke. It almost feels like its running on half the cylinders. Any idea what I damaged? I pulled the air cleaner thinking it sucked water in but it was dry. Any and all help is appreciated! Oh and its a 12ht.

The turbo gauge also is going crazy flickering all over. Lots of Black smoke!!

:idea: Check your distributor cap and rotor, perhaps you got a little water in there.... :D:D

Check your turbo.

Exactly how deep was this puddle?

~John

No D cap on a 12HT you may have knocked off a vacume hose or fried a relay switch.... check all you vacume hoses to make sure they are connected

Is the turbo down low on a 12H-T? Maybe you cracked the housing due to thermal shock from cold water?

Gulp! The puddle wasnt more than a foot deep but i hit it with some speed....I think the force of the water into the engine bay is what caused the problem. I will check the hoses and look at the turbo... yikes.. and let you all know. Its weird because the gauge for the turbo(after market) flickers like its on crack and the boost light on the dash(factory) flickers a little but still reads green.

Thanks again!

Never a good idea to go screaming through a water hole. You never know what's hidden underneath.

As a kid we always used to do that on our bikes until my friend went through one ahead of me and his front wheel went into the open manhole that was hidden under the water!!

The puddle was on a street I drive often but had pooled quiet a bit. I knew there were no lurking bicycle tire swallowing man holes! As for hoses loose, I cant seem to find any... I havent looked at the turbo yet. What else could the force of the water messed up? How would the relay check process go? Thanks again all!

the flickering light makes me 99% sure that you knocked a ground loose. Look carefully at your wires, especially where the wire terminates into a bolt for ground. That may or may not be affecting the smoke, probably isn't, but at least you can figure out the flickering.

take a look at the wastegate on the turbo, maybe some gunk got on it somehow and it is getting stuck open? a jammed wastegate will prevent your turbo from spooling up, which could result in overfueling and black exhaust.

basically: get under the hood, clean up whatever you can, and look for dangling bits that got knocked loose by the water.

Getting it wet shouldn't have much of an effect on your 12HT, but the force of water could bungle hoses or wires.

Once a similar thing happened to my 13B-T , I can RE IN ACT the same thing by grabbing the VSV vacum shut off valve on top of the elbow on the intake manifold by slight ly closing it ie choking it.

Just an idea!

I had a buddy with an old Bronco go puddle hopping at high speed one time and he hydrolocked his motor to a full rebuild! 45 mile with me towing him in the middle of the night back to civilization and several thousand dollars later he never engages into 4x4 anymore!

vacuum hoses?

The only thing I can think of on the engin that would be affected by high pressure water in the engine bay is the small vacuum hoses on the injector pump/monifold/etc........allso controls the green light on the dash
Goog luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom