1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kill Your TV

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by stinkyfj60, Aug 15, 2006.

1. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Its been since June since we have had a TV to fall back on as a cruth for entertainment. Since the wife moved out its been since July since somebody has popped in movie to watch.

We just got done jumping around to AC/DC playing air guitar :D :D :D :D :D :D
    I think my daughters need to learn good metal ;)

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

but, but....

Television is my friend.

3. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

I think my wife was addicted. We have read more books, coloured more things and danced to more music and taken longer walks than ever before. I know that winter is coming, but there are games and Hot Wheels race tracks and if I get the shop built a GTO to work on :D

4. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

Air Guitar is soon to be an Olympic metal sport . . .

5. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    We watch DVDs and select videos upon occasion. We got rid of TV / Cable / Satellite 2 years ago and we are happy with the results. We still have 2 TVs, 2 DVD players, 2 VCRs, but the kids fight less, I get more done, and it's quite a bit more peaceful too.

The kids watch Disney / Dora / SpongeBob, and my wife and I watch mysteries, movies, and lots of BBC produced movies.

I even get to bed at 9:00 pm most nights instead of 3:00 am. :D I can watch Discovery, A&E, History Channel, etc. all night....It takes a while to get used to it, but it's nice to recover your time. If I want to watch a select show, I can always rent, borrow, or buy the 1st / 2nd/ 3rd season of the show without enduring the endless mind numbing commercials.

Everyone tells me I should get Tivo, but I find that I watch even more TV with the Tivo. No thanks. I am no longer a slave to the TV like I used to be....

6. re_guderian

re_guderian SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    That'd be great. Then I'd have more time to surf 'MUD... ;)

7. Fly Rod

Fly Rod

We haven't had tv hooked up for 9 years. We have a vcr & dvd for movies. Netflix is great! Yet my 15 yo Sony tv died a mysterious death a couple of days ago. I gues Netflix will get cancelled until I can afford a big screen. (ten years....)

8. rachel1027

rachel1027 TUT NURSE

no can do
    I would not be able to watch drag racing anymore

I have a great desire to sleep at night so watching TV never keeps me awake. My kids like TV but would just as soon play outside anyway, never an issue to get them out of the house, playing with toys, reading books, or coloring!

9. whodat

whodat

Media:
    Albums:
    Teach em how to wrench a cruiser.

10. Ullr

Ullr

TV is my friend. Not much else to do in hotel rooms in strange towns. I never watch it when I am home though, too much fun stuff to do.

Of course, there is nothing quite like watching mindless daytime TV when you are sick. Beats just lying in bed and feeling bad. After knee surgery I had the cable company turn on every station and laid there popping Percocets and waching b-movies in HD.

11. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

I have taught Zoe how to pack bearings and she hung out with me when I drop the chunks to get in the 4.56s.

12. bustanutley

bustanutley

We have a huge tv and I ignore it as much as possible. We have DVR so I record the 3 shows that I actually watch and watch them on Sunday night when I am winding down from the weekend. Otherwise I’m outside getting something done or riding my bikes. I do spend too much time on the web though…

13. Jman

Jman

Awesome thread.

Wife pressured me to put a TV in the bedroom a while back. I held her at bay for years. Once it became baseball season, she started asking me to remove it.

I don't think TV is evil, but having it be so readily available is a problem--it can be a real time and brain waster, especially for the kids. So, we now have designated TV time, and no TV until the work of the day is done. That goes for all of us.

14. 2badfjs

2badfjs

it was hard to get anything done on a monday night when "HELLS KITCHEN" was on :D

15. Ross IV

Ross IV

you fellas that got your wives to quit, how did you do it? mine, she won't quit. we get into WWIII everytime i try to turn it off, but i notice that we get allong better when there is no watchy.
    should i just chunk it out the window?:confused:

16. 89GASHOG

89GASHOG

Too much TV contributes to obesity and ignorance. We have one for viewing DVDs and tapes, but don't subscribe to any programming. Allowing kids to watch anything other than very limited TV is poor parenting, IMO.

17. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

I think TV was one of the first signs something was wrong with my wife. She got sucked into the artificial life in the tube really bad, but only over the last three months when everthing else was going wrong.

With my kids they stopped fighting as much when the TV was off. Last night was a perfect example, they were with me... I cooked while they played out side, then we jammed to AC/DC, then ate, then danced to music together, then looked up things on wikipedia (bats, bugs, frugivore, pollination), then we played dominos and then it was story time and bed. The conflict level was LOW last night between the two. TV, what TV? Best decision I ever made.

I MAY bring it back, and use a TV guide and limit our time. But then again.. I enjoy the silence....

18. ff347

ff347

Media:
    Albums:
    OK, here is a good reason.........

www.lifescript.com
    TV in the Bedroom May Affect Sex Life
    Thursday, February 9, 2006

A generation ago, a single television set in the living room was a symbol of relative luxury. With lowered prices and more compact slim-design screens, those days are long over as TV sets invade every room and nook in the modern middle-class home. However, a new study of couples' sexual health finds that the bedroom may be one place where the convenience of a TV set may detract from other life priorities. According to a study conducted by European psychologists, couples who have a TV set in the bedroom experience a significantly diminished sex life compared to their peers. On average, couples involved in the study reported having sex twice weekly, or eight times per month. However, among only those subjects who watched TV in the bedroom, frequency of sexual activity was reduced by roughly half.

Personally, I would like to try and not have one. The advertising and the way it affects the kids really pisses me off. I always try and get them outside and playing, it really is mindless entertainment.

Scott

19. Benson

Benson

<<I think TV was one of the first signs something was wrong with my wife. She got sucked into the artificial life in the tube really bad, but only over the last three months when everthing else was going wrong.>>

Have you read Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451? Your statement reminded me very much of that book. Parts of the plot are eerily prophetic about television and its impact on families.

20. srplus

srplus Walked with the Dinosaurs

multitask

mind numbing TV + brain stimulating IH8mud = balanced individual... the noise does not bother me. Once in a while there is actually something enjoyable on like History Channel or Tour de France on OLN.

You can have my TV when you pry my cold dead fingers from around the remote!

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">