Kill switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a great anti-theft setup in my Scrambler: a twin-sticked Dana 300. I mean, a manual trans knocks out 75% of badguys, add two more levers and it wasn't going anywhere. I'll admit, there were times I'd have to think for a second... "Okay, this one up... and, no.. these two down...no... HOLD ON! I'm coming"

Last edited:
Follow up - My new to me 1989 had a cylinder lock which I assume is a kill switch, any idea what brand and what I can do to get a key? This will be a truck we drive out to go river tubing and it would be great to have a secondary key to lock the thing up.
IMG_20200510_133054.jpg

Hey! Aren't you supposed to be installing an air conditioning system in that truck? More wrenching, less posting!! :p

You're right! I am waiting on a new 4Runner condenser, compressor & dryer. I'm not going to put all this effort into the installation without making sure everything works and doesn't leak!!

Follow up - My new to me 1989 had a cylinder lock which I assume is a kill switch, any idea what brand and what I can do to get a key? This will be a truck we drive out to go river tubing and it would be great to have a secondary key to lock the thing up. View attachment 2304918

Looks kind of like a key that would lock a Tuffy middle console or something.

Follow up - My new to me 1989 had a cylinder lock which I assume is a kill switch, any idea what brand and what I can do to get a key? This will be a truck we drive out to go river tubing and it would be great to have a secondary key to lock the thing up.

If there are only two leads, you could replace the switch with another keyed switch.

If you want to keep the barrel style;

Or slightly cheaper with a normal key;

Although if a thief can find a kill switch with only two leads, then the kill switch isn't going to do much on its own.

If there are only two leads, you could replace the switch with another keyed switch.

If you want to keep the barrel style;

Or slightly cheaper with a normal key;

Although if a thief can find a kill switch with only two leads, then the kill switch isn't going to do much on its own.

I'd be concerned that all a thief would have to do is cut the wires and splice them together to start it. I'd go with something hidden that's not easily seen.

For the tube lock on mine, it is an armored cable, not real easy to cut. I haven't tried on this one, but I had an old Volvo with an armored ignition coil cable that took me 10min with a dremel to get through. Stuff is tough.

For the tube lock on mine, it is an armored cable, not real easy to cut. I haven't tried on this one, but I had an old Volvo with an armored ignition coil cable that took me 10min with a dremel to get through. Stuff is tough.

I bet a cordless sawzall with a Torch carbide blade would go right through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom