Kill switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey- What parts do I need and how do I go about installing a kill switch on a 40? Thanks!

I used a Moroso kill switch on my '72 40... It was pretty easy to wire up. Remove the wire from your battery to starter (including the fusible link), put the kill switch wherever you want it (mine is where the brake warning light ? used to be), and run battery-type wire from the battery to the kill switch to the starter. Works like a champ. I also installed an in-line 60 amp fuse right before the kill switch to replace the fusible link. No problems at all, cost me about 40 bucks. Hope this helps some.

:beer:Big Mike :beer:

OK cool. I'll try that. I'm just worried about theft where I am. Thanks.

well killing a mechanical pump isnt that bad, buying a new one each time is :flipoff2:

electric pump, it will allow the vehicle to move till it runs out of fuel, and some pump allow flow through.

i wired a kill between bat and HEI, but coil you could do the same with.

my dad bought a 1957 chris craft boat with a 454 big block. When we got it we couldnt figure out how to start it. After much head scratching we found a switch under the dash. (fuel pump kill switch.) I think this is a better method the a switch on the battery. And most people wouldnt think about a switch on the fuel pump. But hide it well dont go and put a switch on the dash.

Given the condition of the wiring on most 40's, and the way the big amperage is routed into the instrument cluster, I think a battery cutoff switch is a great idea, even if you're NOT concerned with theft. I would only switch the ground, though. AND back it up with a hidden ignition kill switch. Nothing complicated there.
About all you can do is slow thieves down...a little. The more trouble it is, the more deterrence.
I agree with hiding the battery cutoff switch, they've got to find it before they can futz with it, but how far do you want to route those bigass cables????
Ed

A battery cutoff switch is easy to find if you can get under the hood. Would take me less than 15 seconds to locate if I were a thief. The ignition switch is a good idea to back up the battery cut-off to deter theft. Deterring a thief simply involves throwing them off "kilter" or out of their comfort zone.

If I were going to steal your Cruiser and was slowed down by a battery cutoff, found it, and still couldn't get your rig to go within, say a minute or close to it, I'd be gone.

On my 4runner, I located the switch for the fuel pump and installed a switch as far as possible from the cab. Its a pain to get to, but thats the point. A decent theif is going to look for an obvious switch within reach of the drivers seat. As mentioned above, the more time it takes for them to get it going, the more likely they are to give up. Most importantly, don't tell ANYBODY after you've installed it, even your friends. I do plan on putting one on my '40 as well.

Kill switch location -

As several others have said, if a thief is determined, and patient, or has a tow truck, it's gone - but here's an idea that might make the switch difficult to locate (not impossible).

1.) Install an (old school) floor-mounted dimmer switch (those that don't already have one)
2.) Reroute Coil wire to dimmer switch -
3.) Incorporate all under-hood wiring into a single wiring harness
4.) Wrap your wiring harness VERY GOOD so anyone looking under your hood and trying to trace your wiring.....(to figure out why it won't start) would give up rather than unwrapping the entire harness.

5.) When you get in the cruiser, discreetly tap the switch (with your foot - duh!) before turning the key.

--> If you have a floor mat or carpet, you could achieve the same results be placing a push-button switch under the carpet in the same location.

To anyone riding with you, it just looks like a foot rest.

However, it's jut an idea, not error proof.

Mike

Wouldn't a master battery kill switch kill all power to say the radio and clock (if installed) so each time you would lose your presets? I know, not a big deal if your cruiser is gone when you get back, but did anyone put one in where it still retains power to some accessories? A bigger concern I have is some a-hole kid in the city (Chicago) thinking he's funny and pulling my headlight switch on while I have it parked somewhere. I'm not a big fan of push starting my rig on a busy city street. Of course, a thief would probably have less of a chance to take it then. :)

Rob

Hidden kill switches are an excellent idea. Ask yourself this; If my cruiser was stolen, would I pay $600 to get it back? Most would say yes. Especially when you consider all of the hard work and parts we have put in them. $600 = Lojack. >95% recovery rate. A flat bed truck (Landoll style) can snatch your vehicle in less than 3 minutes, running or not.

4 and counting of my Cruisers are LoJacked :)

If anyone in WA wants a deal on LoJack PM me, Connie is a dealer and gives Cruiserheads(and any of there rigs) a big discount..

John

Roadnoiz40 said:
Hidden kill switches are an excellent idea. Ask yourself this; If my cruiser was stolen, would I pay $600 to get it back? Most would say yes. Especially when you consider all of the hard work and parts we have put in them. $600 = Lojack. >95% recovery rate. A flat bed truck (Landoll style) can snatch your vehicle in less than 3 minutes, running or not.

I've installed a battery kill switch in my 40 that kills the power to everything but the CB and HAM radio that are locking in the center console (left power to the radios in case of emergency they will be ready to go). Its a switch like this one...the bottom one with the red key. I hid the switch in a locked compartment so its hard to get to unless they want to really tear it up and have the time. Also I take the key with me so they will have to find something to fit in there and turn it to bypass it. Thats all if they find where the switch is...which they can't trace the wires under the hood because of hood locks. Just make sure you unlock them when offroading or the flex from the hood will break them...have a few spares now :rolleyes:

As far as them just towing it off...thats not a problem where I am now, but when I move up to College Station that will be a big problem. Hopefully I will have a parkign garage so that will help alot but I will also be using some oil field chain to chain it to the support pillars. And if I'm outside in a lot I will chain it to a light post.

I also have a few more anti-theft devices but now that I told you where to find my rig I'm not going to tell you guys the other secrets :D

Joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom