Kickass GPS Shareware Program (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
No affiliation here but I just discovered a sweet-ass GPS shareware program. The complete full-version can be downloaded from http://www.jdmcox.com and is called USAPhotomaps. The software aquires 7.5 minute USGS seamless topo maps and aerieal photos for the entire USA for free from terraserver. You simply list coordinates or an address and then hit a button and wait while the software aquires the maps for a given area. The area can then be expanded by using the cursor arrows to move the map page. Real-time GPS tracks will showup on top of the photo or topo maps and tracks can be uploaded or downloaded to/from the GPS. Not as nice as Fugawi or Oziexplorer but the price is right and this is actually a better program to aquire the topo maps or photo maps. The maps could probably be used in Fugawi or Ozi by doing a screen capture with four reference coordinates but I have yet to try this. Worth a quick download though.

Also this guy could probably figure out a program to download the PDF service manuals and lit. from the Toyota website with a batch capture as terraserver is a similar setup. Just a thought and again no affiliation...just a great piece of shareware.

Snow

FINALLY!!! Someone found a free version of this! Thanks snowcruiser! :beer:

It's sad to see how much development has been done in my area since the photo was taken. :mad:

Very cool post dood!

excellent, playing with it.
Can get the topo maps easily enough.
Not sure how the route feature works yet, though.

Forgive my ignorance...............

Are you saying this program has free topo maps that will download to the GPS?

Snowcruiser:

Thanks for posting this!! I have it and am checking it out.

Mike

V-DAWG said:
Forgive my ignorance...............

Are you saying this program has free topo maps that will download to the GPS?

it's a viewer that gets the maps off the Terraserver site (and you can store them as images locally). There is some possible connection to a GPS receiver I think, but don't know about dowloading to GPS.

I will try and see how / if one can superpose streets on the topo maps. That would be great, but may not be possible.

Just downloaded this and its awesome! I used it on a trip to Toroweap on the N. Rim of the Grand Canyon last weekend. Worked great to have all the maps at hand between Fredonia and the GC...

reviving an old thread here...

the original URL is dead. anyone have this software somewhere i can download from?

loeky said:
reviving an old thread here...

the original URL is dead. anyone have this software somewhere i can download from?

Worked for me this morning when checking, and last week when I downloaded the sw to another computer. Some temporary problem maybe?

Cox lives in Palo Alto. He is a retired airline pilot who does this for fun. I have not experienced an interuption in his hosted site, but I only go there once in a while.

If you guys like his stuff, and are using it, why not pop a small check in the mail?

M

thanks. the link seems to work again. wasn't sure if the guy got enough support to keep the project going since this thread was started.

i'm w/ mike - if you guys like the software, consider throwing him a couple bucks. more than the cash, it shows people are actually using his work.

Try it out and see. Integrates topo, photos and GPS, zooms in and out, aloows overlay of maps and photos. Very cool.

M

coolest thing ever!

For it's price it rocks. Well worth a small contribution for me. I love having it on trail rides. Works with my GPS great.

I have used this when running the intercostal in my boat. It gives a nice perspective vs the standard navigational GPS charts. I can toggle between the two which makes it nice. Free as well. I think I have downloaded most of the western coast of Florida from Destin south to Naples.

Very Cool. Sorry I didn't share it with you guys.

ALF

Hmm very small program and the source code is all in one CPP file. To bad it doesn't work for the Mac, or does it....

Naa I'll never get around to porting it over, or will I....

Naaaa

It probably uses to many MS api's and what not to make it easily portable.

Last edited:
Does this require a live internet connection while out in the field? I'm looking for some topo stuff and I'd like to just save all of maps and whatnot on my HDD.

Thanks,
-Andrew

Last edited:
No, once the data is downloaded off the web they reside on your harddrvie.

ALF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom