Kick vent speaker enclosures - help finding picture/thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a specific FJ40 that I saw on here. It was an 80s truck with custom blue/grey paint with metal tech sliders. It was well built. It's had custom kick vent speaker enclosures that were low and didn't block the vents. There's a build thread somewhere on here. It was sold on eBay about a year ago for over $30K. The owner also has a crazy 60 series but I can't find the threads anywhere. I think the 60 was grey. He did both builds in his garage. Anyone remember the trucks or the threads?

I just built some super simple ones for 5 1/4" speakers I did a cardboard cutout for a test. Still low enough for the kicks to work good

I'm planning to use black ABS plastic and marine speakers... When I eventually get tired of just the V8 rumble.

I used the ones from SOR. They're aluminum and they sit just below the level of the kick vents. I did modify them slightly to get them to fit into the space better, though. Really easy with a hack saw.

It would be really easy for someone with access to a brake, a hole saw, and some sheet aluminum to make something equivalent.

Mine, made from plywood, but they didn't sound good (no bass at all) so they are gone again.
If you go this route you'll need "closed" speakers.
DSC05765.JPG

I changed to this:
DSC00866.JPG

Rudi
DSC05765.JPG
DSC00866.JPG

it appears to me that the intention of Toyota for the 40 was that we listen to the engine, the exhaust, the road noise from the tires, the endless rattles (whether source identified or not - did I mention I hate Hi-Lifts :mad:), and after that, the other traffic around us - none of which is bad as such, as it were . . .

and I agree to a point - I won't be able to hear Japanese music in my 40 with that background of cacophony, either :doh:

my solution, after muffling the rattles I can find the source for, is to crank the volume up to infinity :hillbilly: - good thing some PO installed the monster amp in the toolbox and mongo custom rear speakers :grinpimp:

Here's a picture of mine...not under the vent but behind the seat in a ute...6 inch sewer pvc pipe with end caps , 235mm hole and boating speakers screwed in...works well:clap:

you could adapt this idea with shorter tubes and extra end caps ... and way cheaper than $129 dollars for those Cr4ppy bits of board ...mine cost me $70 to make including speakers
011.jpg
012.jpg

Last edited:
I made a few brackets that mounted the speaker as high up in the kick panel area as possible. I then paired these with a couple 6x9s behind the front seats and I can even hear it at highway speeds. I used cardboard to come up a template and cut out a metal plate to fit. The passenger side leaves plenty of room to open the vent with your foot. The drivers side has to fit lower given the fuse box, but it still works and clears most of the vent.

Brian
speaker kick panel driver.JPG
speaker kick panel pass.JPG

Hey Doghouse,

I purchased those same baffles from Crutchfield thinking they would provide better sound over just having the speakers in open space, as well as providing some protection from the elements on the backside. For my setup, they improved the low volume sound (much fuller), but at higher volumes it seemed to muddy up the sound. In the end, I removed them as I need the higher volume to combat the wondrous sound of an FJ40 at highway speeds. Your setup may sound different, but just my experience.

Brian

Hey Doghouse,

I purchased those same baffles from Crutchfield thinking they would provide better sound over just having the speakers in open space, as well as providing some protection from the elements on the backside. For my setup, they improved the low volume sound (much fuller), but at higher volumes it seemed to muddy up the sound. In the end, I removed them as I need the higher volume to combat the wondrous sound of an FJ40 at highway speeds. Your setup may sound different, but just my experience.

Brian

Thanks for the heads up. I'll report back on how they work for me (in a few weeks).

I really like your high-mount solution, and might try that if I end up kicking the driver's side speaker too much when I push the clutch.

I'm looking for a specific FJ40 that I saw on here. It was an 80s truck with custom blue/grey paint with metal tech sliders. It was well built. It's had custom kick vent speaker enclosures that were low and didn't block the vents. There's a build thread somewhere on here. It was sold on eBay about a year ago for over $30K. The owner also has a crazy 60 series but I can't find the threads anywhere. I think the 60 was grey. He did both builds in his garage. Anyone remember the trucks or the threads?

These are in the door rather than the kick vent area, but it might be the thread you were thinking of:

1973 FJ40 Custom speaker box build

send a PM to gladly, he has the truly mad MUD search skillz

Last edited:
Those look pretty similar to the ones from SOR, except they're made of diamond plate.

Funny just by this description I knew exactly which rig you were talking about. I drooled over it when it was listed in the classifieds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom