kick down problem solved. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've played with the kick down cable till I'm blue in the face, matter of fact it never changed a thing in my case.

Yesterday I noticed that while cruising up a hill my transmission downshifted really easily. Normally I drive up that same hill on cruise control. That got me to thinking why would it do that?

The TPS of course.

This morning I moved the TPS counterclockwise about 2-3mm.

Problem solved. :D

BTW, the kick down cable currently is loose.

What type of kick down problem were you having. My 93 doesn't seem to kick down like I think it should. It seems to be more noticable when the AC is on.

Thanks, Jay

Mauk,

What year, and what was the issue?

DougM

jaysdead40 said:
What type of kick down problem were you having. My 93 doesn't seem to kick down like I think it should. It seems to be more noticable when the AC is on.

Thanks, Jay

If I slowed down to say 10mph the transmission would drop into 1st, but if I pressed on the gas peddle more than 1/3 it would spin freely then 2nd would grab.

This usually would occur slowing into a corner and then accelerating out.

I have a 93 with almost 300k and had this problem for almost 1 year. I've taken my poor dinosaur to a couple of dealerships and local LC experts and no one could figure this one out. I just thought my transmissions is dieing.

I tested it some more at lunch and still working. :grinpimp:

Thanks for clarifying. So, it's running fine now, then?

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
Thanks for clarifying. So, it's running fine now, then?

DougM

Well with 300k as fine as you would expect. I think with another 100k my LC might fall into a brand new land rover category thou?

Mauk, Thanks for the added info. Mine has a different symptom, it wants to hold a gear and lug rather than downshift and get the revs up. Maybe the Landcruiser fairies secretly slipped in a diesel?

Jay - sounds like classic cable adjustment. Tighten it a bit I believe.

Mauk - if my bro in law's 290,000 mile 93 is any indication, it will be more than another 100k miles before your 80 starts resembling the durability and reliability of a Rover.

DougM

Glad to hear the TPS adjustment fixed your problem. May I ask where the TPS is located?

I have a similar problem as the transmission shifts/downshifts fine going up hills, but on a flat road when not coming to a full stop in 2nd and needing to accelerate again it doesn't want to jump down to 1st and I have to depress the accelerator pedal quite a bit to get it to downshift. BTW I don't have the FSM yet to locate the TPS myself.

PACNW96 said:
Glad to hear the TPS adjustment fixed your problem. May I ask where the TPS is located?

I have a similar problem as the transmission shifts/downshifts fine going up hills, but on a flat road when not coming to a full stop in 2nd and needing to accelerate again it doesn't want to jump down to 1st and I have to depress the accelerator pedal quite a bit to get it to downshift. BTW I don't have the FSM yet to locate the TPS myself.

It's right next to the IAC... of course. :confused:

Standing in front of your LC you'll see 2 funny looking cylinders on your TB, IIFC they both have electrical connectors.

The one on the left is your IAC and the right is the TPS.

If I were you I'd wait until you get your FSM, because the official adjustment procedure is out of this world, so be sure to finely mark your positions before you do any adjustments with a scribe or something.

DougM, Thanks for the suggestion I'll give it a tweak and see what happens.

Jay

I had a similar bogging issue on my LX after I installed 33's. Problem went away when I installed Slee's speedo gear. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom