Kick-down cable availability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
Toyota US, Amayama and PartSouq all show

35520-60140​

as not in production. Are there any new replacements?

Last edited:
Discontinued. The only application to use this part number is US 95-97 FZJ80 and US/CDN 96-97 LX450. That's very small population. As such there would be no reason for other world markets to stock it.

Here's a link to a prior discussion. One person (White Sheep) has said another model's Throttle Cable Assy (35520-60111) will fit with modification but his Throttle Body had been repositioned for a Supercharger so the Transmission to Throttle body distance is likely shorter.

A couple years ago I had a discussion with Cruiser Outfitters; they said at the time that they might have that Throttle Cable assembly (35520-60140)
reproduced (aftermarket) but haven't seen it yet.

Discontinued. The only application to use this part number is US 95-97 FZJ80 and US/CDN 96-97 LX450. That's very small population. As such there would be no reason for other world markets to stock it.
Well, crap. So, what to do when it needs to be replaced?

Punt.

So what did the earlier 80s use?
A442 transmissions. The A343 was used only in the US-Canada 95-97. The rest of the world got 442s 93-97. A LOT more vehicles.

The connection at the valve body is different. It may be possible to use a cable from another 343-equipped vehicle, Tundra, 4unner, etc) but it's going to be a crap-shoot on length and the engine-end of it.

Well, that's an interesting bit of trivia. I never considered an A442F swap into a '95-'97.

Well, that's an interesting bit of trivia. I never considered an A442F swap into a '95-'97.

It would be a complicated affair. The computer controls are quite different. I suspect merging the two would be quite challenging.

There is a place on line called Inline Tube ( www.inlinetube.com ) that will build custom cables. They can build from your broken one, or if someone has a good one, they can duplicate it. If so, they may keep a "template" of it to build some for future trucks. Call them on the phone to discuss and maybe email pics back and forth.

They served us well on my son's 70 GMC that had non-standard parking brake cables, but they do all sorts of cables and such.

There is a place on line called Inline Tube ( www.inlinetube.com ) that will build custom cables. They can build from your broken one, or if someone has a good one, they can duplicate it. If so, they may keep a "template" of it to build some for future trucks. Call them on the phone to discuss and maybe email pics back and forth.

They served us well on my son's 70 GMC that had non-standard parking brake cables, but they do all sorts of cables and such.
Deeeal! I'll give them a call and see what I can work out. I'll let you know what I hear. Thanks very much!

It would be a complicated affair. The computer controls are quite different. I suspect merging the two would be quite challenging.
As soon as I wrote that, I knew it was too good to be true...and it looks like the A442F cables are NLA as well.

442 cables are still available.

@Malleus : what's wrong with your current/original Throttle (kickdown) cable?
is the cable itself coming apart or is it just the outer heat-abrasion resistant sleeve that's fraying??

@Malleus : what's wrong with your current/original Throttle (kickdown) cable?
is the cable itself coming apart or is it just the outer heat-abrasion resistant sleeve that's fraying??
The outer sheath, for certain, is frayed, but I haven't pulled the cable to inspect it completely. Yet. I was hoping to source one, in the worst case scenario, where I had to replace it. If it turns out to be the outer heat shield/sheath, I'll just rewrap it.

It's not showing any signs of being stretched or having a worn cable end, at least regarding driveablity, but we've just gone through the entire engine bay, during a headgasket R&R, and it's one of the last items on the list to be renovated or replaced.

Sourcing a used one will be next to impossible. Unfortunately junk yards almost always cut cables instead of taking an extra minute to disconnect them. Also the oil pan has to come off to R&R them.

IME the original heat/abrasion wrapping (FZJ80 with A343F ATM) tends to fray and come loose, but that can be covered by various methods. The original wrap appears to be a combination of a thin aluminum foil insulation wrap that is attached to an anti-abrasion cloth wrap; you can't remove one without removing the other although any pieces that are dangling can either be cut off or rewrapped before covering.

What I did was to go over the existing cable wrapping first with TESA brand abrasion resistant tape, then over that I slid a two foot section of double wall flexible adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.

It came out a bit lumpy due to my not so perfect tape wrapping, but that cable assembly is now better protected and looks a bit neater than before. I also slid a short piece of aluminum-fiberglass heat insulation sleeve over the section of the Throttle cable that passes close to the exhaust manifolds.

From top down in photo below:

Cruise Control cable with 8" section of adhesive lined heat shrink tubing
Throttle Cable with ~2 foot section of adhesive lined heat shrink tubing
New Accelerator cable (heat shrink tubing added before installation to center section where it crosses over the valve cover, not shown)

FZJ80 Throttle Body and cables top down view cropped.png

Throttle cable where it passes close to exhaust manifold:

FZJ80 Throttle Cable hear exhaust manifold heat shield cropped.png

Last edited:
Well, that would definitely be an improvement over mine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom