Kick down cable, adjustable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is the kick down cable on a 91 80 series adjustable? To get the tranny to downshift i have to pretty much put the pedal to the metal. Is this normal?

Thanks

Ok, thanks. Guess the first post was unclear but how do you adjust it?

Ok, thanks. Guess the first post was unclear but how do you adjust it?

Check the FAQ. Look for "throttle cable adjustment" (I think).

Our FJ adjusts a little different than an FZJ, but I was able to figure out which cable does what from the pics in the FAQ. Makes a BIG difference in how the truck drives! Well worth the 5 minutes it takes to adjust.

Ok I didnt know if it adjusted the same as the throttle cable or not. I saw where it mounts up and all that and kjnow how to adjust the throttle just didnt know if anything needed to be done to the tranny side of it or not. Thanks man

Is the kick down cable on a 91 80 series adjustable? To get the tranny to downshift i have to pretty much put the pedal to the metal. Is this normal?

Thanks

It's normal and adjustable. Be careful with that adjustment. A little goes a long way. I would start off with the FSM spec and go from there.
It will change the way the transmission shifts throughout the range.

Ok I didnt know if it adjusted the same as the throttle cable or not. I saw where it mounts up and all that and kjnow how to adjust the throttle just didnt know if anything needed to be done to the tranny side of it or not. Thanks man

Be careful - the "throttle cable" and "kickdown cable" terminology had/has me all screwed up. If I remember right, the one with the red boot is the one you need to adjust so it makes the cable tighter - i.e. move the boot thingamajig toward the passenger side of the truck.

Here's what you need - 80-series Throttle Adjustment - Land Cruiser Tech from IH8MUD.com

This might also interest you - https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/204588-throttle-cable-adjustment.html

Hope that helps.

The throttle cable is the one connected to the gas pedal and the throttle body. The kickdown cable is the cable connected to the throttle body and the tranny. At least thats the termanology that i use. Thanks for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom