Builds "Kiboko" - Texas family hunting/fishing adventure truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the shout out and let me know if you need anything. Build plans look great. Need to get "The Gray Ghost" and "Kiboko" on a run once ready.

On tires, I'm running AT KO2 on Rock Warriors and only downside I've seen is at deer lease. Sandy bottom so the treads fill quickly and do not empty till there is speed. On the other side is Black Jack mud which will suck the soul from your body but tires have handled well.

Biggest upside for me is highway driving. Little to zero tire noise and handles great with smooth ride. The extra weight on the ghost helps that as well.

We're excited to be a part of this build. It would be awesome to get all of the 200s we've built on the trails together. Now I need to convince the wife for me to pull the trigger on a 2021 Heritage Edition.

CC: @Eric Sarjeant :)

A @duggy run...I'm in.

Yall need the tax breaks...wrapped in company logo with sponsors gear. "Its a work truck."

Ty, and Campbellton (cattle and deer) and George West (exotics and deer) specifically. 45min ranch to ranch, but terrain changes quite a bit. Campbellton is in that coal seam land. Lots of water rentention and gross-can-never-get-out-clay-mud. George West starts to transition more towards the sandy soil and mesquite landscape of true S Texas.

how about y’all?
I’m close enough to be of assistance if y’all ever get yourself in a jamb. Yell if you need help.

Last edited:
  • Phase 1 (beginning imminently)
    • Front Bumper: ARB Summit
    • Winch: Warn VR EVO 12-S
    • Front Bumper Fog Lights: Rigid Dually Series Spot LED in GREEN (so we can drive around the ranch and not spook animals)
    • Sliders: Slee SliderSteps
    • Drawers: ARB w/ 1 fixed, 1 roller, and fit kit
    • Suspension: BP-51 w/ SPC UCAs (seems like people argue over this like religion!)
    • Springs: 2723 (undecided here, w/ just the 12.5g LRA + drawers and no rear bumper, opinions seem to vary)
    • Roof Rack: Prinsu w/ 40" cutout
    • Rack Light: Rigid SRpro 40"
    • Scene Lights on Rack: Rigid diffused Left/Right/Rear
    • Cargo Light: National Luna Red/White
    • Wheels: Method Racing 314s (17x8.5 5x150s w/ 0off) in Matte Blk
    • Tires: BFG KO2s 285/70R17 116S C1 BSW
    • Switches: SwitchPro 9100
    • Battery: Slee u/g to group 31, Odyssey ODX-AGM31M (w/o fridge or other big draws and not really camping, assume don't need dual-batteries, open to input here...)
    • Fuel Tank: LRA 12.5g (wanted to retain stock spare b/c no rear bumper)
  • Phase 2 (when I make up my mind)
    • Skids: open to feedback here based on the use case... between ARB or Slee, don't want to pay for aluminum, don't rock crawl
    • Awning: open to feedback here... have not made up mind yet on brand, just want something easy to take off completely/quickly
  • Phase 3 (call it the idea list, only if am convinced by Mud or use case changes)
    • CarPlay: seems like the Naviplus system is a big hit, if everyone likes it w/o issues will prob add
    • Air: ARB dual compressor (have access to big industrial air most places I would go so not a priority)
    • Snorkel: Fabulous Fabrications w/ Aussie airbox looks the coolest to me but haven't seen one in person
    • Diff Breathers: water gets pretty high some of the fishing we do, but doesn't seem consensus on Mud that they're necessary
    • 2nd Battery: only if have failures that a NOCO can't fix
    • Front/Rear Air Locker: only if we find ourselves really pushing the truck
    • Gears: only if the power is underwhelming and/or we have the truck open for lockers anyway
Some random unorganized recommendations:

- Springs: Go with 2721s. They're progressive, and the truck will drive nicer. I have 2723 with bumper + 12.5ga LRA and it's still pretty stiff unless the car is loaded.

- Don't use Rigid lights, they're woefully disappointing. I originally built my Ranger with their stuff, but pulled it all off. Lightforce has green predator spotting lights. I'd consider one of their animal spotters with a suction mount so you can aim as you drive. Their website sucks, but you'll find everything. Put two HTX2s on that front bumper. Don't bother with a roof lightbar, they just create spill onto the hood that gets in the way.

- Gears and Lockers: You won't need to regear, but that precludes a front locker. You'll be fine with just a rear, plus the electronics.

- Tires: Go with Toyo ATIIIs, not K02s. I ran both on different trucks last year and am going all ATIII in the spring. They're that much better, especially in the stuff you'll be driving down in Texas/Utah, like wet roads.

- Since your wife likes ride quality, you may want to consider the Tundra front end swap: OE Long Travel 200. Hudson (Rhys Millen and Robbie Gordon's mechanic) live in San Antonio, so it'd be an easy visit for for him.

- For big game hunting, consider a PakMule hitch rack. Make sure its the one with the low sides. My Ranger is my hunting rig, but when we need to carry a big Yeti or two up to the cabin with the 200, this thing is amazing. For bird hunting, 100% go with a fridge/freezer. It's a game changer getting to throw birds straight in a freezer, especially in Texas heat.

PakMule racks are nice but they are a JOKE at $800!!!

The transfer case skid in stock configuration is weight bearing on the TC.
Even if you don't replace the other skids, consider adding a proper TC skid.
You can order the Bud Built TC skid in a variety of materials, and Asfir 4x4 has one in aluminum.

PakMule racks are nice but they are a JOKE at $800!!!

You bought a $90k Toyota because it's made well...the PakMule is to other hitch racks what the Land Cruiser is to a Geo Metro. It'll last literally forever, can be used on any vehicle, and is way, way more practical than a roof rack (which cost about the same or more). My buddy actually said the same thing the other day. I asked him how much he'd pay to make a rattle go away during a long trip. He texted back: "About $800."

Advantages of a hitch rack are load carrying (your hitch can support 500 pounds or more on any vehicle, the roof of a Land Cruiser is rated to 400 pounds, most other vehicles are 100-150), accessibility, aerodynamics, and the ability to remove it when it's not in use. I use mine to cart around stuff like a 210 quart Yeti, firewood, etc. With the cooler on the PakMule, I can load and unload it right there (since it can't really be lifted when full). That frees up a massive amount of room inside. That it can also go on our other vehicles, or any friend's truck, is just super useful.

You bought a $90k Toyota because it's made well...the PakMule is to other hitch racks what the Land Cruiser is to a Geo Metro. It'll last literally forever, can be used on any vehicle, and is way, way more practical than a roof rack (which cost about the same or more). My buddy actually said the same thing the other day. I asked him how much he'd pay to make a rattle go away during a long trip. He texted back: "About $800."

Advantages of a hitch rack are load carrying (your hitch can support 500 pounds or more on any vehicle, the roof of a Land Cruiser is rated to 400 pounds, most other vehicles are 100-150), accessibility, aerodynamics, and the ability to remove it when it's not in use. I use mine to cart around stuff like a 210 quart Yeti, firewood, etc. With the cooler on the PakMule, I can load and unload it right there (since it can't really be lifted when full). That frees up a massive amount of room inside. That it can also go on our other vehicles, or any friend's truck, is just super useful.

I don't deny their application and how useful some might find them, but knowing people that weld for a living I can't bring myself to pay what he's asking for one. It's a super boujee price for an extremely simple piece of equipment being sold at a premium because of great marketing. I don't point my fingers and laugh at those who own one, they look great and a buddy of mine even sells them, but they aren't worth anywhere near what they are asking for them. That's my opinion, don't take it personally.

A wise man once said "Price is what you pay; value is what you get"! I agree in many facets of my life, I just don't personally apply it to this very product, who knows, maybe that'll change one day haha.

Last edited:
I don't deny their application and how useful some might find them, but knowing people that weld for a living I can't bring myself to pay what he's asking for one. It's a super boujee price for an extremely simple piece of equipment being sold at a premium because of great marketing. I don't point my fingers and laugh at those who own one, they look great and a buddy of mine even sells them, but they aren't worth anywhere near what they are asking for them. That's my opinion, don't take it personally.

A wise man once said "Price is what you pay; value is what you get"! I agree in many facets of my life, I just don't personally apply it to this very product, who knows, maybe that'll change one day haha.

Alternative is at Harbor Freight...$60...have used it for 2 years, no issues and holds 300 pounds. Yeti, deer, and hogs have all enjoyed it.

Well boys and girls, one thing’s for sure: stock tires are not approved for use over South Texas mesquite! Shrapnel from a bat wing pass was scattered all over road, and one thorn went through sidewall and another through tread. Passed over same road in ATV and pickup yday without issue. Loving that spare now!

135E0F98-057E-494B-BA06-7ABCB440312B.jpeg

I always keep tire puncture repair kit in the drawers for just such an occasion.

Changing out our tires this coming week. I took the GX to the ranch this weekend for that very reason, these street treads don't stand a chance out there.

Well fortunately stock Kiboko handles muddy roads around Anahuac’s duck holes much better than mesquite strewn S Texas.

Stock tires and having to drive around a giant hole excavated to repair a pipeline led to sliding off the road and into a tractor rut, but we were able to crawl our way out without any drama.

Hunting was decent for late season TX Gulf Coast, but it’d have been better had there been fewer misses. Definitely more “Indian” than “arrow” since we dropped 2 gadwall out of a flight of 12 twenty yards DIRECTLY in front of our blind.

EF25EBE3-A5A3-4B72-8658-685AB40859E7.jpeg

You can't always be on top of your game, there are those rusty or slow to start days too. Where along the coast did y'all hunt? I am hoping to squeeze one lat hunt in this week sometime before I head south again to chase quail next weekend.

I just got back from south Texas, we put on a bird hunt for a Houston company down south of Freer. I picked up a nice 2ft crack in the windshield of the GX as a souvenir lol.

Z8kcLtg.jpg

You can't always be on top of your game, there are those rusty or slow to start days too. Where along the coast did y'all hunt? I am hoping to squeeze one lat hunt in this week sometime before I head south again to chase quail next weekend.

I just got back from south Texas, we put on a bird hunt for a Houston company down south of Freer. I picked up a nice 2ft crack in the windshield of the GX as a souvenir lol.

Z8kcLtg.jpg

We were on the east side of Trinity Bay, west of Smith Point Road. Love the area, definitely the best duck hunting I have found near-ish Houston (though I am sure there is better to be had if I could justify a club membership). 330am wakeup to get there, get decoys out, and get settled is rough... makes me consider camping out there.

Btw, love the pic of the bird dogs. Showed my wife, and she's decided you are the first of my "internet truck friends" she would want to meet on the assumption that those dogs are constant company everywhere you go.

has Kiboko gone under the knife yet?

has Kiboko gone under the knife yet?
Yessir. She had a “pre-op” this morning at Discount Tire - new shoes. Drove straight to @duggy to drop her off (couldn’t really drive anything but straight given the rub at any kind of serious angle!). Now the 1-2 week wait begins... patiently.

F4103585-D9A7-4F84-BE7C-2BFD3992BBCB.jpeg

We were on the east side of Trinity Bay, west of Smith Point Road. Love the area, definitely the best duck hunting I have found near-ish Houston (though I am sure there is better to be had if I could justify a club membership). 330am wakeup to get there, get decoys out, and get settled is rough... makes me consider camping out there.

Btw, love the pic of the bird dogs. Showed my wife, and she's decided you are the first of my "internet truck friends" she would want to meet on the assumption that those dogs are constant company everywhere you go.
That looks like you had a good time. I unfortunately skipped duck hunting this year. We normally hunt North Padre Island. We hunt off a small island and you can see Snoopy's and Schlitterbahn from our duck blind.

That looks like you had a good time. I unfortunately skipped duck hunting this year. We normally hunt North Padre Island. We hunt off a small island and you can see Snoopy's and Schlitterbahn from our duck blind.

You didn't miss much, short of ducks in the bay it was a slow year overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom