Keystone Cruisers BESF weekend campout! Oct 10-13 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m out for this weekend. Have games to be at on the 10, 11 and 12. :frown: Might try to catch up w/ everyone Saturday night if we can get free.

Everyone can come! It’s a big space with 8 separate official gravel sites plus a big grass center section. So we can fit lots of folks.

I will be renting a porta pot per the Forest districts suggestion so will pass around a change jar for folks to chip in a few bucks.

Jody plan on coming to hang out for the evening if you’d like. We will probably go to elk creek cafe/brewery friday or Saturday night.

I'm out now. My parents will be coming in that weekend. Can't say no to those old people. Someone text me if the leaves are changing up there. Maybe we will take a drive to a park and see them.

Unfortunately I'm not going to make this either - I got pulled into a work trip (ironically, in Pittsburgh and at Penn State, so I'll be passing through). I'm also trying to hit Rausch on Sep 14 and get out to Fall Crawl - so I'm already pulling a lot of favors with wifey.

In a perfect world I'd just drive the FJ40 to Pittsburgh then meet up with you on the weekend but I don't think my customers would appreciate me showing up reeking of exhaust fumes and oil (or not showing up at all because my hooptie broke down). Nor would my company appreciate the fuel bill being forwarded on to them! I do want to get out to BESF at some point here in the future but it doesn't seem like it's in the cards this time around...

This is coming up fast. What time are folks planning on arriving Thursday?

It is a long way out, but right now the weather looks a little drippy.

Capture BESF.JPG

Thursday evening for us

Greetings all -

The BESF weekend is almost upon us! After spending this past weekend in VT with the family, we are very much looking forward to getting out again closer to home. Despite Von Hayek's negative attitude above, I am certain that we will have good weather for the weekend! And in the event it is not perfect, we can go into town for dinner and the group site has a very nice fairly large covered pavilion where we can all gather with @Crusha Campfire in a Can and listen to @Pacer tell us all how great his 200 is!

066.JPG

A few notes & a tentative schedule:

1. ATTENDANCE: Please post up and give a firm YES or NO regarding your attendance. I will likely reserve a port-o-john for the weekend if we have a decent sized group.

2. SITE DIRECTIONS & INFO: We are planning to arrive Thursday evening to the group site. I will write a separate post with directions and access info as I likely won't be the first one there.

3. MAPS: the BEST map of the area is by far the Purple Lizard Map of Bald Eagle State Forest. There should still be time to order one and have in hand by next weekend. Check out this article about the forest and then order your map: Exploring the Hidden Center of Bald Eagle State Forest: Millheim to Weikert, PA

4. DRIVEABLE TRAILS: the forest has a lot of 4wd trails. They are all easy greens, but expect some pinstriping, some water and some mud. There are a number of additional gates open for hunting season. This is a chance to explore some roads that are closed the rest of the year, but please be mindful of hunters and wear your blaze orange if you plan on getting out and walking:

23A9EAFC-70ED-4FFB-AEDD-346591314661.jpeg

5. SCHEDULE:
Thursday night = arrive, setup, hang out at campfire
Friday morning = make breakfast at camp, mid-morning departure to go hit some driveable trails
Friday afternoon & evening = stop at State Park for a swim and some snacks, back to camp to cook, group campfire.
Saturday = 9am departure for Scenic Loop around Poe Paddy Dr. including a short hike to the Poe Paddy Tunnel. 6pm dinner at Elk Creek Cafe. Bring your growler to fill, then back to camp for fire and stories.
Sunday morning = pack up and head up.

Photos of the Poe Paddy the tunnel, and the Elk Creek Cafe in the cool little town of Millheim:

4506E800-E9BD-4CE7-9383-443CD29C61E4.jpeg

3BA8DDA0-D1DB-4E56-A608-28F176949B23.jpeg

The schedule is fluid and flexible and we can swap nights to go out to dinner if the weather suggests it. I feel like Friday is the better day to stay at camp and cook since some folks will likely be rolling in Fri afternoon/evening.

6. LOGISTICS:
There is plenty of gas nearby, and a few markets, shops and small stores. The closest large proper grocery store is probably 30+ minutes away, so might be best to bring the majority of your food and provisions for the weekend.

I said it earlier, but to reiterate, this is a family friendly and stock truck friendly weekend. Hopefully a week or so of cooler weather kicks the fall colors in gear and the weather cooperates. It'll be a nice relaxing weekend and you can choose to do whatever you'd like, either with the group or solo.

8EDA5A1E-EEDB-4869-83C2-B4E09FEFB641.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing everyone!!!

Last edited:
I'm in. Not sure if we can make it up Thursday night though, probably will head up Friday after school lets out. I'm also planning to campout Sunday night. @fireball Do I need to make a separate reservation or can I just spend an extra night at the group site?

I'm in. Probably be there late afternoon Thursday.

I was not planning to attend, but my schedule may have opened up and now that I have this 200, it sure makes "getting their" easy.

Funny thing is, all I hear about anymore, is how great @Von Hayek 's 100 is....

Great post Ben!

I was not planning to attend, but my schedule may have opened up and now that I have this 200, it sure makes "getting their" easy.

Funny thing is, all I hear about anymore, is how great @Von Hayek 's 100 is....

Great post Ben!

Hey man, it's not mine. You don't want to get Rhea mad at you.

You better bring Theo!

My girls will be mighty upset if you don't!

We're in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom