Keystone Cruisers BESF weekend campout! Oct 10-13 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fireball

SILVER Star
Threads
Keystone Cruisers!

I’d like to organize a long weekend for club members to camp out and explore the bald eagle state forest. @rubicondon53 and I are leading a multi-way expo trip through the forest during CMCC and would like to invite the club members to come join me for a long weekend to enjoy the fall colors, explore some gravel forest service roads and driveable trails, hit on the Millheim farmers market, have dinner at the elk creek cafe and brewery and share some laughs and beers ‘round the campfire.

Save the dates! Columbus Day weekend. October 10-13.

Family friendly. Stock friendly.

We will reserve one or two of the larger primitive campsites in the forest. There will be a fire ring and a picnic table and ample space for your camping spread. The state parks are nearby and offer full services including hot showers if need be.

Post up here and let us know if you can make it!

8BF71254-0731-474F-B32D-3A808FF96402.jpeg

68CF9E81-60C9-48C8-B3A8-CB11511C0898.jpeg

0A73161E-027B-4113-8FD3-7B1D95B6EBF9.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Ben!

I got a total noob question. Can I do this in a stock tundra and not scratch it up.? If not I'm out.

Andy, the forest service roads that you would traverse to get from the pavement to the campsite are well represented in my first picture above.

The drivable trails within the forest are the equivalent of easy greens at Rauch but would most likely add a few pinstripes to your new ride.

Bring the tundra out and drive it to the campsite and then hop in with someone else if we do some of the drivable trails!

I am a maybe. Depends if I still have the little Glamper.
Stayed on the Rustic Loop in BESF a few times. Never been out in the forest.

I've got a lot of interest in doing this - and I'm definitely putting it on the calendar, but I'll have to see what wifey says about leaving her to fly solo for 4 days with the kiddo. Might take some negotiation...

Also - if anyone in this group mountain bikes - Raystown lake, near BESF/Rothsrock, has some of the fastest, most flowy, awesome trails on the east coast.

Also - if anyone in this group mountain bikes - Raystown lake, near BESF/Rothsrock, has some of the fastest, most flowy, awesome trails on the east coast.

I do, and I’ve been threatening to go there for a few years now. My favorite local to me place is white clay. I don’t get out as much as I used to so my cadence isn’t what it used to be (aka I’m fat, old, and slow) but I’ve been dying to make a weekend out of it.

Hey I’m 20 minutes from White clay - i didn’t realize you were that local. I’m also fat and slow. White Clay/Middle Run are great trails - Fair Hill isn’t bad either. It’s tough to find time to ride weekdays anymore - but throw me a PM if you ever want to head out for a weekend White Clay ride.

I’m not even sure I’ve got the cardio/legs to hit Raystown at this point - need to get back on the horse and start working again. It has been such a wet muddy spring I haven’t been out at all.

We can take it offline as to not clutter up this thread - but hopefully we can get out on the trail - in a rig or on a bike!

Bring the family for sure!

The state parks with hot showers are 15 minutes away. Also there is a nice cabin rental you could look into if your wife/kids aren’t keen on a tent.

But either way get them out into the woods for a fun weekend!

E569B76A-BFFC-4DF6-BDB7-5297582A7560.jpeg

B8CDBC92-B77E-4553-858E-0B73AF206F84.jpeg

Family friendly event...

The only person I've ever seen mount a car-seat to a jumpseat is @brian - in October she'll be 14 months old - I'm not sure her spinal cord is up to the challenge of several days in an FJ40 just yet.

Really my only option here is to buy a 60 or 80 series before October. You all leave me no choice...

My wife will definitely camp and is OK with tents - I haven't been able to convince her to come on a backpacking trip yet. Car camping is more her style so even if she doesn't come on this particular trip, future trips have potential!

Last edited:
Campsites are accessible via mini van. The forest service roads are graded gravel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom