Keyless entry/Remote Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have any opinions on the best keyless entry/remote start system? My top priorities are: Ease of install, cost, and reliability. Any tips appreciated.

FYI, this is for a 94 LC.

I'm looking to do the same thing and the Viper system is what my research has settled on. I think the complication isn't with the installation but with the removal of the incumbent system which is a Rostrov. I'm a little concerned that one wrong move in the removal process will leave me with a disabled car.

I have a Viper 7756V installed in my truck. I like it. I couldn't figure out how to get the virtual tach to work, and I couldnt figure out where to tap into the actual tach, so my remote start cant sense when the truck is started, but that is more to do with me not knowing how than the alarm.
Pretty sure I got a sweet deal on it as well. shop around. And have a friend help you install it or do it yourself. The shops around here were quoting me $4-600 :confused:

I just had a Viper 211HV installed. It is bare bones. All it does is lock and unlock remotely. It cost me $40 and I had it installed at Best Buy for $75. So far I am happy with it. I did it out of necessity. I only received one after market key with my vehicle and it will not unlock the back hatch. This seemed like a nice easy fix.

I just had a Viper 211HV installed. It is bare bones. All it does is lock and unlock remotely. It cost me $40 and I had it installed at Best Buy for $75. So far I am happy with it. I did it out of necessity. I only received one after market key with my vehicle and it will not unlock the back hatch. This seemed like a nice easy fix.
@toadshade Take your title into a Toyota dealership and have them cut a key from the VIN. I and many others have had this issue and it solved the problem.
@ryanrtxtx I installed a Clifford 590.2x when I got my cruiser, install isn't all that difficult if you're at least a :banana::banana:Mechanic. Also, Clifford is made by the same company as Viper alarms.

Last edited:
Viper makes a great unit, and is cheap to install at Best buy. They run sales quite a bit for these installed.

If you want an alarm, keyless and remote start, I was getting prices in the $500 range, so did my own install. Still have a couple bugs, because Viper installation instructions suck. Viper 5305v is what I installed. My understanding is that installers have access to the real installation manual, for some reason they don't give it to the public.

Oh, and the company Directed makes most alarms, including Viper.

With all the threads about starter/electrical troubles, you guys are going to let some kid making $7.25 an hour who just learned how to shave hack into the electrical system of your truck? This sounds like a great idea.

With all the threads about starter/electrical troubles, you guys are going to let some kid making $7.25 an hour who just learned how to shave hack into the electrical system of your truck? This sounds like a great idea.

that's exactly why I did mine myself, with the help of a friend who is whiz with wiring stuff. No way in hell I am paying a ton of money to have someone hack up my truck.

I'm the only person who's allowed to screw up stuff on my truck :grinpimp:

20 years ago when I use to install car stereos and alarm we installed viper alarms. We could call dei and talk to tech guys or have them fax a pin out for the specific vehicle the alarm was going in. Was a great service.

Yeah, if you go to their website, if you have a installer login, you can get the real information.

I just had a alarm with remote start and entry put in yesterday. Model is avital 3100 and it works flawless. I was surprised how long my installer took to install this system, over 5 hours and he is a very experienced installer whom which I've been using for over 15 years. He told me the way the land cruiser is wired, similar to the sequoia, the unlock feature is very unique and requires additional relays to properly have the function work on all the doors. He also mentioned that each door was wired individually including the back hatch to allow the trigger to set off the security feature when a door is opened compared to other simple 1 wire trigger for all doors. Remote start works great. All in all I would recommend this unit and my installer. Cost me $320 for all features.

It's like everything; Look at the work before you pay the bill. I'm sure some installs are great quality with soldered joints (mine) and others are hack jobs. I attempted to do mine myself, and got frustrated so had it done for $80.

I just don't hear about alarms failing and starter immobilizers not letting vehicles start.

A Viper system is 10X better than the POS Fujitsu Ten system they came with OEM.

Mine even does 2 way paging (feedback) and it may just save your truck from getting stolen. The flashing blue LED is a nice deterrent.

I was thinking about this also it worrys me some bc I had a remote start and keyless in my 100 series but the tech couldn't get the tach to work.. I guess finding where to tap into a signal is rocket science

Well I guess not.. Does anyone here have a viper remote start on a fj80

I do. Forgot the model number but will add it when I get home from school. Have had it over a year and works flawlessly. Works up to a mile away and so nice on any day to be able to start it from in my house and let it warm up.

I bought one that was literally $10 with free shipping from China. Been working fine for a couple years now (remote unlocking only, wasn't interested in a starter).

@StucknKS has the viper keyless

I have the Viper remote start and keyless entry. Had it installed at Best Buy. All connections were soldered. I did have a problem where the horn wire came disconnected under the steering column but it was no big deal to fix once I found it. Could have taken it in and let them deal with it but didn't feel like setting up an appointment.

I can't remember exactly but it was somewhere around $100-$150 installed. Worth it IMO to not have to hassle with it. They also removed the old "factory alarm" in the process. Gave me a bag of old alarm parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom