Key Upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today I saw the '06 Toyota RAV4 key and thought it was pretty cool. It's the first of its kind for Toyota as far as I know (most of the vehicles share key designs). So, I started thinking... I'm pretty sure that the '99 LC key is the same as the '05 LC... but I have not yet seen an '06 LC key. Assuming that it is the same, would it be possible to purchase a RAV4 key and program it for my '99 LC?
I'm including some pictures to show you what I'm talking about as far as the design similarity... I'm not sure of my facts, either, so any corrections are appreciated.

The first two images are RAV4, and the third is '99 LC. Sorry about the quality.
RAVfront1.jpg
RAVback1.jpg
LCfront1.jpg

Last edited:
Upon doing a search using the FCC IDs on the website below...

The frequency of the '99 LC key (FCC ID: HYQ1512V) is 314.0 MHz
The frequency of the '06 RAV4 key (FCC ID: HYQ12BBY) is 314.35 MHz

...Close but not exact. I'm no science man, so what does this mean? Couldn't find anything about the channel. Both are manufactured by Denso Corporation, though.

If you try looking up these ID's and then go to Details, it's actually very interesting.. Pictures and user manuals can be found. But am I going in the right direction here, or is the answer as simple as "No because the master key won't allow it" or whatever?

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

Any other thoughts on this?? I'm trying to bring my LC to today's look. Thanks

FWIW, my 06 cruiser key looks exactly like your '99 cruiser key.

Not sure why you'd want to...seems like a lot of cost and hassle for not much (any?) benefit. Don't forget, an original Toyota (not ebay copy) key for our LC's is north of $175 (can be WAY north depending on where you get it).

Ya wanna RAV4 key? :princess:

Just my $.02. :)

ATLcrusher said:
Not sure why you'd want to...seems like a lot of cost and hassle for not much (any?) benefit. Don't forget, an original Toyota (not ebay copy) key for our LC's is north of $175 (can be WAY north depending on where you get it).

Ya wanna RAV4 key? :princess:

Just my $.02. :)

You're right - LC keys are expensive! I have the feeling this RAV4 key will be used pretty frequently from now on, like maybe the '07 Camry or maybe FJ Cruiser. So, maybe at the moment finding this key might be a little high (because of rarity) but later... not so expensive. See what I'm saying?

Other than that, my key is just a little too scratched up. Not to mention the range on it is like 1 meter. I was hoping that replacing it with a more modern key would increase the range --- but even it that doesn't happen, it's still something new. The LC key is just.... ugly. I'm sure it was cool 6-8 years ago, though. And from what I've read, programming a new key isn't all that hard, so why would it be with another key having the exact same button setup?

It's a freakin key for cryin out loud. If it's not operating your cruiser, it's probably in your pocket, who cares what it looks like? To each his own. FWIW, the owners manual states that the keyless feature is desgined to have a 1 meter range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom