Key issues. Screwed by Lexus dealer of is this legit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

So, a few weeks ago I ran my one key through the wash and lost fob functionality. The key still starts the truck, but the fob stopped working.

Figured the best / safest way to get this dealt with would be to take it to the Lexus dealer and get a new master key cut / programmed.

I was just told by the dealer that they cannot get the key programmed because the drivers door lock actuator doesn't work....and they quoted me $800 for a new one. This is SUPER frustrating. I've never had issues with the lock / unlock mechanism until bringing it here......other than noticing that if I cycle lock / unlock a bunch of times eventually the response will become slower (if that makes sense)

So, now I'm at a point where I'm stuck paying for the new key ($300) and while it will start the truck, they cannot program the fob.

Just curious if anyone has dealt with this, if what they are saying is legit, or if they're screwing me over on this.

Just not sure what my next steps should be in order to get this resolved and get the new key fob programmed....short of forking over another $800 to the dealer?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions any of you may have.

What year is the vehicle? Do you no longer have the 2nd original key?

The key less entry function of the key is separate than the radio chip inside the key. You seem to know that now. New key less entry fobs can be programed through tech stream for whatever it costs for the fob. If you get in the car and hit the button on either the passenger or driver side window switch, does the driver door lock work? if so, the actuator is not the issue. A new actuator msrp is $400. If they want two hours of labor, $800 sounds about right. I would never pay that much but maybe time is money for you.

And yeah, anytime you go to the dealer you are getting screwed. Alot of people enjoying getting screwed by their dealer though. not me.

try to see if you have other local car lock smith and let them program the fob for you. Most of them can do same thing as dealer does.

Am I understanding correctly that the fob can be programmed in TechStream? If so, is the process different than the manual process of locking / unlocking doors a handul of times, doing a rain dance, etc etc?

I have Techstream so I could try that if it's a different process?

Am I understanding correctly that the fob can be programmed in TechStream? If so, is the process different than the manual process of locking / unlocking doors a handul of times, doing a rain dance, etc etc?

I have Techstream so I could try that if it's a different process?
Yes if you have your master key with you and it is working.

You can also buy new electric motors for the door actuator for about $5 each, and fix those in about an hour.

Hey All,

So, a few weeks ago I ran my one key through the wash and lost fob functionality. The key still starts the truck, but the fob stopped working.

Figured the best / safest way to get this dealt with would be to take it to the Lexus dealer and get a new master key cut / programmed.

I was just told by the dealer that they cannot get the key programmed because the drivers door lock actuator doesn't work....and they quoted me $800 for a new one. This is SUPER frustrating. I've never had issues with the lock / unlock mechanism until bringing it here......other than noticing that if I cycle lock / unlock a bunch of times eventually the response will become slower (if that makes sense)

So, now I'm at a point where I'm stuck paying for the new key ($300) and while it will start the truck, they cannot program the fob.

Just curious if anyone has dealt with this, if what they are saying is legit, or if they're screwing me over on this.

Just not sure what my next steps should be in order to get this resolved and get the new key fob programmed....short of forking over another $800 to the dealer?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions any of you may have.

I got the same bull**** from the Toyota dealer on my son’s 2000 TLC.

They may be telling the “truth” using the electronic lock/unlock button, but they’re either “stupid” or conveniently leaving out the “but you can program it by just manually ‘flicking’ the lock lever (with all the other doors locked)”

Anyone know what I'm looking for in techstream? The closest thing I've found so far is 'Transponder Code Registration. Is that for the remote, or for the vehicle to recognize the key?

Transponder is the RFID for starting the car.

I’ve only done the remote by “hokey pokey” method.

I don't know if the LX is different, but with my 2001 LC I was able to program a new/additional master key using the hokey pokey method. I would assume that if your original key still starts the vehicle then it is in good enough shape to allow you to use the manual method to put the vehicle into program mode and set up another key/ fob.

*There are a few different variations of the hokey pokey method to put the vehicle into program mode. I had to try a couple different ones until I got it right.

I can’t remember the different techstream categories but it should be under keyless entry or door lock.

Both are easily done in Techstream (edit: for my 2006 LX) Immobilizer for the ignition and Body or Door and Wireless Remote for the "fob" lock/unlock.

If you were local I'd do it for free. And if anyone in the future finds this thread, the offer stands.

Last edited:
Are you sure it can be done on a 2000 model year LX?

I fired up TechStream, found where it should be in the 'Body' section. The only option within Body that shows up is 'Customize'.

When I click on that, there is a tab for remote locks, but when I click on it....no additional options or prompts pull up.

Both are easily done in Techstream. Immobilizer for the ignition and Body or Door and Wireless Remote for the "fob" lock/unlock.

If you were local I'd do it for free. And if anyone in the future finds this thread, the offer stands.

Both are easily done in Techstream. Immobilizer for the ignition and Body or Door and Wireless Remote for the "fob" lock/unlock.

Are you sure it can be done on a 2000 model year LX?
Fob programming can’t be done via Techstream on 98-00 model years.

Damn, that's what I was worried about. Tried the hokey pokey method like 6 times and couldn't get the fob to program. Ugh.
You’re doing this?

Confused.
Open the fob using a coin or flat device
pull the battery.
put the FOB parts sans the battery in a bag of uncooked rice for a couple of days.
separate the PCB board. just a press fit. clean the fob contact points with a contact cleaner or pencil eraser. set aside.
remove the rubber button press molding and wash with soap and water
wash the plastic pieces with soap and water as well.
install a new fresh battery.
It should work fine.

(general process)

Had the same issue on my '98 SC300. If the lock actuators are old and tired you can program the fob manually. Just physically lock/unlock it during those steps. The instructions said all doors, but only using the drivers door worked for me.

You’re doing this?

Yeah. Each time I get to the end of the process, the locks cycle twice (instead of once to confirm programming was accepted) and the fob doesn't work.

Pretty frustrating. I've tried a few variations of this method that I've found here...but none work.

I will say the drivers door actuator can't cycle 5 times...actually it can bar

I have same issue. Gotta fix the driver door actuator before keyless can be programmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom