Key goes click but jiggle it and it will start??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been searching so please forgive my ignorance but I need an answer and I know somebody will know this answer in a jiffy.

Long story short,

94 Land Cruiser won't start, just clicks when I try the key. Turns out, battery and connections are all good. I noticed if I jiggled the key in the ignition, it would start right up.

What do I need to replace? Starter Ignition switch? That's my guess.

Other question related to the above answer. If this is indeed the fix, how do you change this part and keep your old key? I don't want to have to change all the locks to this new key for the ignition but surely that won't be the case. I have searched for days and found references to having changed it but no details of the key issues and how you install the new switch exactly. Can somebody help me please.

Thank You for your assistance.

Well...seems nobody has a comment on this...so I'll just update as I figure it out and maybe it will help somebody in the future.

I ordered a new lock cylinder today from Toyota of Dallas. I'll pick it up tomorrow and will also have them cut me a couple of new keys from my VIN. I thought I could order it keyed to my original key but no, guy said you get it with a new key and then you take it to a locksmith and have them re-cut the tumblers to match my original keys, otherwise, you end up with a different key to start your vehicle and one for the doors. I sure as heck don't want two keys so that's what I'm going to do. Odd that I can't find any other refs of this on Mud. Maybe I just missed it. Hope install is fairly easy.

Any tips?

Thanks,

You may want to have a new key made at Toyota first before replacing the cylinder.
Most Toyota dealers will cut one for free or just about. Have them cut it off you vin# for best results.
If cut at a standard key place off your old key you'll be in the same place (worn out key).
Keys get this way from having 500 keys on a ring in weight riding up and down in the lock. The keys are softer than the lock cylinders.

Take a paper clip and straighten it out, then bend a 1/16 90* hook on the end.
Spray your lock cylinder with carb cleaner to break down the grease inside the cylinder. Keep a rag under the cylinder to catch any fluids and junk (like key filings) from the lock.
Next use the paper clip to run along the lock pins. Run along the pins many times. Wipe off the cylinder and area.
Using a new rag spray WD-40 or alike into the cylinder then run new key in and out several times.
Next try to turn the cylinder. It may take one or two times before the pins get moved enough by the new key.

I've saved many hours of takedown over the years by doing this.

Worth a try.

JM2C

If it works return your new part for a refund if not replace the cylinder. You've only lost 15-20 mins trying to as very the cost plus save you some R&R time.

Good luck hope it helps

Hi JM2C,

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I was going to have Toyota cut me two or three new keys from my VIN. It's not crazy expensive and I know about keys getting worn. I like your idea of doing that first then trying to get the original cylinder working before committing to installing the new one. I might do this first, and then if it works, like you said, can return this new key cylinder for a refund. If it doesn't, I'll proceed to get it keyed to fit my new VIN matched key, then install it this weekend.

Thanks,

Any tips on the actual install of the lock cylinder if I need to go that route?

Thanks,

My local Mr T. couldn't cut me a key because they said it was too old. They said the info on my 80 was no longer in their system.

Good luck with the key cylinder. Sounds like your prob. Giving it a clean wouldn't hurt. bet you can return the lock cyl. if you had to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom