Kenwood in dash gps w/ Topo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone confirm that the DNX 9960 or the DNX 9140 is actually compatible with topo map sd card? Meaning, you have one of these 2 units and have personally uploaded the topo maps and then used them. I've talked to both Kenwood and Garmin, they said no. Well really Kenwood said "I don't know" and Garmin said "no, but you can buy this nice hand held..."

Yes I've searched and have read threads about how it's compatible - but no one said "I just uploaded topo maps!"

I have a Kenwood DNX5160 that I have maps loaded via SD card from tracks4africa.com I would assume you can do it as long as the file type is the same. Can you view the topo maps on mapsource or a nuvi? I would assume that as long as it can be on a Nuvi it can be on a kenwood.

Bump on this, also looking for options on a double din replacement that will have topo maps and good gps capabilities

I have a Kenwood DNX5160 that I have maps loaded via SD card from tracks4africa.com I would assume you can do it as long as the file type is the same. Can you view the topo maps on mapsource or a nuvi? I would assume that as long as it can be on a Nuvi it can be on a kenwood.

Thanks!

Mike - I have several Garmin Nuvi's here that you can plug an SD card into to verify that the Topo maps load correctly.

Apparently the Nuvi and the Kenwood run on different software systems, the SD cards they sell "won't work with the kenwood units" so says the Garmin guy. I'm not sure what to think after jdayment's post. I'm hoping a MUD member can set the record straight with regards to 9140.

Any way you can take a Garmin Topo SD card to a Best Buy or like and try it out on a unit? Maybe your best bet. :cheers:

In our experience if you have a Kenwood that allows map updates, you can create a custom map set using the GPSFileDepot stuff & it will work just fine. Be sure to test it on a unit before you buy though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom