Keeping spare parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PAR

Threads
2014 200 series with 116,000. I’m running with a Icon suspension with 2.5“ lift,nito ridge grappler 33’s.I have done trails at anza, valley of the moon Elliot mine trail, Joshua tree,200 miles in Death Valley,big bear. Several others. Goal was/is to be able to get out and camp at places most cannot get to. Not really into rock crawling or trails like John Bull. However, sometimes come across a challenging gate keeper. Nothing yet the goat hasn’t been able to climb or get over. My question is, no matter how built up the rig, eventually something is going to break. I would like to assemble kit with some of the most common parts that may break that could be replaced on the trail. Tie rods,etc. Would also like to assemble a secondary box with major components that may eventually fail but can’t replace on trail but would have on hand as opposed to wait for shipping. What do you think would be the best parts to have on hand would be ? Thanks in advance.

Cv axle, lug bolts and nuts, serpentine belt.

Reactions: PAR
I've thought about this basic thing too and there are some threads or parts of threads that touch on this topic. I've been in the process of doing some engine bay overhaul/rebaseline work this winter and have replaced things that haven't broken yet based on my mileage (150K) and how hard it would be to replace the component on a trail. As an example, I have replaced my perfectly good alternator but considered just carrying a spare. Replacing the alt on a trail would suck and be a very long day especially if you had not personally done it before on a 200. The starter is another that I will probably preemptively replace. I still may carry the spares (old yet functional components) but honestly I'm not sure its worth the weight to carry around things that I just replaced and are new. The alt may be a special case as it is located low and is susceptible to mud and water damage and I now know how to semi efficiently replace it (would take hours).

Cv axle as mentioned above is something I think I will carry. I also have a spare rear lower control arm as its just a matter of time for me to bend one. I plan on developing my own spare parts and tool list at some point. I think there is already a thread on tools in FAQ as well as a general off road kit thread. Someone made a good video on this that I'd have to search for but its on here somewhere.

Here's a great list from our friendly moderator @Romer

Find friends to tour with that drive the same rig and carry all of the tools and spare parts. Lol

Find friends to tour with that drive the same rig and carry all of the tools and spare parts. Lol
I guess I should have phrased it “what’s the most common breakdown/part malfunction people have experienced in a 200 series off-roading ?” haha

I guess I should have phrased it “what’s the most common breakdown/part malfunction people have experienced in a 200 series off-roading ?” haha
Depending on your wheeling style and how hard you plan on driving the 200 I’d Recommend a spare CV. It the only thing I’ve busted while on the trail. Being that the 200 is full time 4wd a bad CV will leave you stranded. A work around is to remove the front drive shaft and lock the center differential and then drive with just RWD. Solid skid plates and rock sliders/rails will prevent most other types of damage.

Have you thought of replacing the starter?

Depending on your wheeling style and how hard you plan on driving the 200 I’d Recommend a spare CV. It the only thing I’ve busted while on the trail. Being that the 200 is full time 4wd a bad CV will leave you stranded. A work around is to remove the front drive shaft and lock the center differential and then drive with just RWD. Solid skid plates and rock sliders/rails will prevent most other types of damage.
Awesome advice. Thank you. Already done a fair share of wheeling. Slow and steady through the gnar. Not a pro by any means but have a lot of miles logged in the last 2 yrs. Just got back doing 200 miles in Death Valley. Started me wondering what backup parts I should have on hand for easy trail repair. Does have welded sliders. Skid plates standard all the way up. Really not setting up for rock crawling just being able to get to where others can’t. Which usually involves some type of gatekeeper or keepers. Or rock crawling. Hahaha.so far seems like,lugs,cv,tie rods, most common responses.

Cool. Just watched how to disconnect front. Seems pretty easy. good advice.

The starter replacement out in the field is no walk in the park like on a Chevy 350. I'll probably replace mine proactively somewhere between 120,000-150,000. In the mean time the ability to bypass/jump the starter with jumper cables and a long screw driver will get you back up and running. There is some great info on here about this process. Ill try and track it down and post the link.

• ... having the knowledge to diagnose and replace the faulty parts :)
^^^^ this is actually very important. While in general, I have basic mechanical skills, and a long time ago put a Chevy 350 into an FJ60, I still learn something every time I mod or fix something on my 200. IMO, replacing or fixing something in your shop, with all your tools and the ability to go buy something you need and ask questions on MUD, without time pressure is the best way to be prepared to have to fix the same things on a trail. In my "re-baseline" efforts, I have removed/replaced/adjusted/redone most everything in the engine bay this winter. I spent a huge amount of time just figuring out how to access the thing I wanted to replace. I've taken my time, a ridiculous amount of time by most people's standards. FSM and this forum were/are invaluable. Now, if I am going to carry a spare part, I know better how to best do the work and what tools and other things I need to be successful. The alternator I mentioned above is a good example. I've replaced alternators before on other vehicles and think of it as an easy thing to do. Not so much on a 200. I have a tentative plan to remove and reinstall one of my CV axles in my shop just to make sure I know how and have the practical experience to have a legit shot at doing it on a trail if I actually break one.

The starter replacement out in the field is no walk in the park like on a Chevy 350. I'll probably replace mine proactively somewhere between 120,000-150,000. In the mean time the ability to bypass/jump the starter with jumper cables and a long screw driver will get you back up and running. There is some great info on here about this process. Ill try and track it down and post the link.
Cool. Thank you. I’m not very mechanically inclined. Some of these things just good to have instead of waiting on shipping With the rig stuck in a shop.

^^^^ this is actually very important. While in general, I have basic mechanical skills, and a long time ago put a Chevy 350 into an FJ60, I still learn something every time I mod or fix something on my 200. IMO, replacing or fixing something in your shop, with all your tools and the ability to go buy something you need and ask questions on MUD, without time pressure is the best way to be prepared to have to fix the same things on a trail. In my "re-baseline" efforts, I have removed/replaced/adjusted/redone most everything in the engine bay this winter. I spent a huge amount of time just figuring out how to access the thing I wanted to replace. I've taken my time, a ridiculous amount of time by most people's standards. FSM and this forum were/are invaluable. Now, if I am going to carry a spare part, I know better how to best do the work and what tools and other things I need to be successful. The alternator I mentioned above is a good example. I've replaced alternators before on other vehicles and think of it as an easy thing to do. Not so much on a 200. I have a tentative plan to remove and reinstall one of my CV axles in my shop just to make sure I know how and have the practical experience to have a legit shot at doing it on a trail if I actually break one.
And not to mention that trail repairs ofter includes such fun as mud/rain/insects/sun/heat/cold/wind and iffy access. CVs never break on a nice road in a convenient spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom