Keeping it stock

I have owned a number of IHZ 80 series both manual and auto over the years and have put them through their paces in rugged Africa. All of them were purchased with a couple hundred thousand kilometers on the clock. Inevitably we would dismantle the doors, air-con, stabilizers and occasionally knock out the front windscreen. I would change out the hub bearings and tie rod ends and keep the old ones as seconds. Every couple of years change out the suspension using original Toyota parts. I am a great believer in keeping everything stock and having faith in Japanese design and build. Each of these cars would endure 40,000kms a year with a regular 5,000km engine service. For me, a 200,000km cruiser is just about run in. The following is a list of what I have not done on these cars that have well exceeded 400,000km.

1. Never replace any hose, radiator or any cooling component with the exception of one water pump.
2. Never replaced any electrical component apart from fuses and bulbs.
3. Never experienced any underside or side damage
4. Never replaced a clutch or pressure plate
5. Never touched the gearbox
6. Never touched the axles or indeed the drive train with the exception of UJs
7. Never replaced a coil spring. I like the comfort and rolling ride of sagging springs

There is a lot more that I have not done on these vehicles and I appreciate I work in a drier environment. I have a mate in the same business who managed to get 600,000kms out of his and it is starting to chew some oil. I ran one with a cracked cylinder head by redirecting the windscreen washer system to the radiator.

Basically what I am saying is if you carry sufficient spares and some wire and gorilla tape you do not need to spend money on the 80. It was built as a Cruiser and cruise it does. It is a low rider that if necessary can take on the worse of conditions. Just bought another with 270,000kms and the only mod I am considering is to cut the roof off. Everything else looksand drives fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom