Keeping a Hzj80-T cooler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello folks,

I have a 90 hzj80 5spd that the temperature likes to creep up on. It has a G-Turbo running at 13psi and 3” exhaust. I live and work up in the mountains so I need to keep her cool ripping up on the mountain pass highways.

I’m going to replace the fan hub and add an inter cooler but I’m wondering what else I can do?

Bigger Rad or different fan?

Thanks,

A9E44250-F3B5-44F6-8B02-133409AC1BE3.jpeg

A good intercooler and the fan clutch filled up more should do the trick. 13psi is not much for a well set up and tuned 1hz.

EDIT: presuming you are talking about egt.

Engine temps is what I’m primarily referring to but lower EGT will play a part in that as well

Engine temps is what I’m primarily referring to but lower EGT will play a part in that as well
In that case, I would say that your engine cooling system is operating at far less efficiency than It should be stock. I would suggest doing a radiator flush or replace if it hasn't been done before. Terrain Tamer make a good radiator with increased cooling ability over the stock one. Genuine Toyota would be the next best. Start by replacing your temp sender gauge to make sure that it's reading right and the thermostat (Genuine Toyota preferably), as they are the least expensive items in the cooling system.

I would also start with a radiator and block flush. You really need to remove both tanks from the core and have it rodded so you can see right through the core.
Nothing will stay cool with a blocked radiator.

I'd up the boost to 18-20piss-eyes

The g-turbo and the 1HZ should be good for more boost, and more boost with adding more fuel will lower EGTs, and reduce the overall heat load the radiator has to deal with.

Definitely look at the fan hub, radiator, radiator cap, thermostat.
Test the thermostat opens fully at correct temp or replace it.

What are your sustained EGTs under load?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom