keep the 94, or sell and buy a 97? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, my dilemma.
Got a 94 FZJ 80 (no lockers), 7 pin mod, ctr switch, new wires, plugs, and radiator, 166k now. Runs very good, and looks very good.
Needs rear brakes and rotors, the ft end repacked, an alignment, and 4 new tires. I just had the front brakes and rotors done-for $600.
My 94 dosen't have the wood grain console, but has leather.

I'm looking at 97 FZJ's with 90 to 120k miles for $12-13k.

Also, I live in the beautiful north east. Salt for snow removal on our roads...

I'm looking at about $2k to get the 94 up to par.

What would you guys and girls do?
Keep it or sell it and buy a 97 with less miles?
I wouldn't buy any other vehicle...

on avg 97 better buy than 94, no doubt IMHO, everything newer with less miles.

However, a new vehicle presents a lot of uncertainty. I know that after spending countless hours working on my truck (and more finding out info about it), it would take a lot to get me into another one where I would have to start all over again. There is a lot to be said for knowing its mechanical state.
Then again, it looks like you have a lot still to do so that could be done on a new truck.
But FWIW, with a 97 that you checked carefully you would likely not have to do all that...
Tough call, good luck!

I sold my 91 in favor of a 94 but that's not really comparing apples to apples. Lockers might be a deciding factor but in the end it really depends on what shape each is in. That said, I wouldn't trade my locked 94 for a newer 80 unless it was a once in lifetime find with excellent maintenance history and incredibly low miles at a super attractive price.

e9999, I think it's all about money and time... MoJ, 91 to 94 was a good idea.....
What should I look for when looking to buy a 97?
I'm not so concerned with lockers, ( too tough to find) but air bags, wood grain, the up graded interior ...
I would want to know about the PHH, fluid maintenance, stuff like that.
Anything else you can think of?

I sold my 94 to purchase a 97 a few years ago.
This was after I spent about $2k getting pretty much all the work done that you listed plus a bit more. The reason I sold was because I wanted the newest 80 I could find so I could hold onto it for as long as it would last. Looking back on it, it might not have been the best reasoning, but I'm not one who typically frets about past decisions...so no regrets.

My goal when looking for a 97 was to find something in better overall condition than my 94 but I had to have lockers. You don't have this to contend with, but if you find one with lockers -- all the better. If woodgrain is important to you, I would suggest that you look at LX 450s specifically. The woodgrain plastic used in the LX 450 does not haze (discolor) like the woodgrain plastic in the Land Cruisers do. Aside from this, I would consider the LC and LX as equals.

As Eric mentioned -- you'll be moving from a known vehicle to a relatively unknown vehicle as far as maintenance and condition are concerened.

How far are you willing to extend your search? The southwest and western states tend to have quite a few rust free 80s. Would you be willing to buy one in CA and either drive it back or have it shipped to NY?

Cruiserhead05 said:
Keep the 94, its got a better tranny.......no offense norcal. nevertheless, the 343 is still nice.

Several forum members have had solenoid problems and flaring problems with their A442F's. On the other hand, there have been few to no complaints about the A343F's here on the forum.

I considered doing this as well. Wanted to sell my 94(no lockers) and buy a 97 with lockers and lower mileage. After running the numbers I came to the conclusion that adding lockers, and mods to my 94 and bringing it up to par mainteance wise would cost me about the same to purchase a good 97.

So I kept my 94 and did all the maintenance, upgraded everything, and added lockers. Total spent so far on my 94 is $14000 including cost of vehicle. Thats about what I would have spent for a 97 if I had sold my 94. So why not keep your 94 and invest some money on it. Just my .02 cents

Last edited:
I'm with Biff. The difference in price would get the '94 upgraded and the way you want it rather than a bone stock '97. The one thing I would do to the '94 when it approaches 200k is a valve job or swap in a rebuilt unit.

Still, you've probably already made up your mind and are just looking for some reasons one way or another. Either decision will work. IF you do go '97, I'd narrow down the field by having Lockers a must have (but thats just me).

Good luck

WET

what I find ironic, is that I bought a lower mileage 97 cuz I wanted to have as reliable and troublefree a truck as possible given that I was planning to drive it into wayoutthere places; yet it would be dangerous enough to be stuck out there that I end up checking and replacing pretty much everything I would have done on an older one anyway, just for the peace of mind. So, the lower mileage is not necessarily as huge an advantage as I had assumed at first. Better yes, but not as much a timesaver as I thought originally. Of course, it's because all the anal freaks :) out here have thoroughly brainwashed me... :)

you guys bring up some very good points.
I searched some of the used vehicle web sites and found at least 2 97's within 100 miles distance from me, priced around 12k to 14k. Yes the transmission is/ could be a little better in the 94, and lockers would be nice, but the CDL switch/7 pin mod. does alot too.
Not sure if I like the Lexas 450 ( sorry) badge as much as the LC. And, I don't really want to slide another motor in the 94 at 200k either. I was reading about doing the PHH. Ya can't even see the hose. Can't imagine doing a motor swap.

The vehicle you are looking at could very well need the same stuff your current one needs and probably needs what you have already done to the current one. The only way it would make sence in my mind is if the replacement has locks or is otherwise exactly what you want in the way of color, equipment and such or because you insist on airbags and so on.

PDoyle said:
...Not sure if I like the Lexas 450 ( sorry) badge as much as the LC...
That's cool. Not everyone's got the cajones to wear pink panties :D
Better scratch wood grain from your list unless you pick up an aftermarket kit.

The way I see it is, if you have done alot of maintenance to your 94 already (preventative or regular) you know where all those parts and systems stand. When you go buying a little newer LC, you'll have to start all over with that, even if it has lots of records. If you have done the work yourself, then you know it will be top quality, where as taking to a shop (even if the PO has the records) you don't know how that shop handled the maintenance.
So I would say keep the 94 if you have already had alot of work done to it and its running how you want it to. How long have you had your 94 anyway?
-Gary

alaskacruiser said:
Several forum members have had solenoid problems and flaring problems with their A442F's. On the other hand, there have been few to no complaints about the A343F's here on the forum.

I totally agree and really have no complaint against the 343, we have both a 94 and a 95, the tranny in the 95 is smoother, and as you stated, no real problems have come up yet with them.

I say keep the 94 regardless of the tranny of lack of lockers. You can get lockers installed for what, 2-2.5k. If your only wheeling lightly get a rear ARB only. That would take you most places.

You have a good truck, build from there. Dont start all over again.

I DD a 94 with 250k miles....i would never sell it, never. When the engine goes, i'll rebuild it, same goes for the tranny. Its rock solid and i know its history, that is priceless. I say keep it and slowly build.

Plus you can pick up a used 1FZ from cruiserparts for 1600 i think.

The miles are not sopposed to be a big thing with the 80's. That is great if you want to keep your rig for a long period of time. I see this point ( now) throughout the thread.

My Truck is starting to show a little rust (it's colored white) in a few places. And with the miles on it...

Hmmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom