Keep Original Versus Tasteful Upgrades? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You should leave it completely stock. Toyota knew what they were doing. Make sure you have 30 year old tires and brake lines for complete originality.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. The answers are what I expected (everyone has a different opinion) but it's still nice to hear the pros/cons/perspectives of veteran owners. For now, I'm still focused on getting a good baseline by addressing some small issues and enjoying just driving it around town.

You have good advice here.
I think the one thing that echos throughout this post is this.
It is your Land Cruiser. Do with it as you wish.

If you want to keep it stock and you like it that way do it.
If you want an off road rig with bumpers and big tires, then build that.

Your idea of a good baseline is a solid one. Do that and fix all of the little things first, that will keep you happier than you could imagine.

I will say this. These are 4x4 utility vehicles that while have some more luxuries than the FJ/BJ4x series they were still very utilitarian.
They are designed to go off road and have fun with.
Others may like some things you do to it, others may think some of the things you do are against what a Land Cruiser FJ6x series should be......I say, says who?

As an example, I am not building mine for the guy down the street. I am building it for me and maybe my kids.

Last edited:
As a data point, I finished my '86 FJ60 build last summer. It's a lot different than stock. On the other hand, my '84 FJ60, which I bought new from the dealership, is bone stock. Both have served me well.

One thing I’d say is the 2” lift at 33’s make it look like it should’ve looked from the factory imo...and with the age of stock springs, very few will argue against that upgrade.

One thing I’d say is the 2” lift at 33’s make it look like it should’ve looked from the factory imo...and with the age of stock springs, very few will argue against that upgrade.

X2. Should have been the way Mr. T set them up from the start.

Decisions...decisions...I can totally relate!
I am / was in the same boat with my 60. I had planned to keep it completely stock but 30 year old parts started me down the road of some subtle upgrades. My original suspension was really tired (flat leafs) and you could feel very bump so I went with the OME lift. This update provided a big difference in comfort but now my 31 x 10.5's look a bit undersized so i'm looking at a 33" tire update. I already have a 5 speed so i'm good there but plan to focus on the long list of baseline items and subtle mods to protect the truck and improve it's ride. I updated the stock mirrors and installed the 62 series dash bar but still have the following on my short list: tires, sliders (have some on order), dnp carpet kit. Hope to limit the updates there to keep it "stock'ish" as possible! Good luck with your 60- she's a beauty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom