Keep or replace Release Bearing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thebigredrocker

SILVER Star
Threads
My FJ40 #RTC52S Throwout Bearing has been outside in the elements hanging on motorless bellhousing. This FJ40 rolling chassis has been uncovered for at least 15 years. The bearing doesn't spin silky smooth like I'm guessing a new one would. Hoping maybe some Vetrans could help me make the correct decision. I just bolted up the rebuilt Tranny/TCase and the motor is ready to drop in.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408596274.483795.jpg

My FJ40 #RTC52S Throwout Bearing has been outside in the elements hanging on motorless bellhousing. This FJ40 rolling chassis has been uncovered for at least 15 years. The bearing doesn't spin silky smooth like I'm guessing a new one would. Hoping maybe some Vetrans could help me make the correct decision. I just bolted up the rebuilt Tranny/TCase and the motor is ready to drop in.View attachment 932399

Its not worth taking the chance that it is bad. Replace it while it is easy.

Simple answer is replace it and be done with it.

replace it, you dont want to pull it back apart when it goes bad, time is $$$ and that is a cheep part for the amount of time if it goes bad.. i

Replace it now. Much easier than having to do it 12 months down the track if it dose fail.

+1, a no-brainer to replace the throwout and pilot bearings every time the transmission is off for any reason.

I suggest you keep it (and the pilot bearing) so you can have the fun and practice of pulling the trans/t'case combo again in the near future. Makes for a much more enjoyable weekend replacing $30 worth of parts, than, say, wheeling.

:bang:

Good idea to replace but I have used them too and will last longer than you may think. Pump grease in if you can get needle in. I've pulled a bad clutch and replaced all with used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom