KC Cyclone V2 under hood lights (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I received these LED under hood lights as a Christmas gift from the misses. We don't find ourselves under the hood of these vehicles that often due to how reliable they are but I have been wanting some dedicated under hood lights for use with my compressor in low light conditions. I also figure that as it ages I'll find myself in there more often and they could come in handy for routine maintenance and for other uses as well.

This kit while nice, tells you to simply drill a 1/8" hole and then use a supplied self-tapping screw to mount them but I wasn't keen on a fresh hole in the hood substructure if I could help it. I didn't want to lose the insulating material as a whole nor did I want to cut into it for the lights to be flush mounted to the metal either so I sat around for a few minutes and considered my alternatives. I decided that the cleanest install would be to hide the wiring under the insulating material and then use longer push pins within already existing push pin holes to secure the lights. This would only require a small incision in the insulating mat under the lights to recess and hide the wiring for a cleaner install. I think it turned out great and the supplied labeled toggle switch is a nice piece as well. I made use of a grommet I had lying around to protect the wires coming out of the hood from the sharp edge and it cleaned up the look a bit too. The switch and ground wire are mounted to one of the existing ground junctions on the fender near the battery and the power wire is fused.

Overall I am very happy with how they turned out and they do a great job of lighting up the engine bay. The only thing I might add would be a pin switch that would automatically turn off the lights should I forget to before closing the hood. At $90 the kit includes the corrugated wire loom, switch, harness and lights, for the money I don't think that these can be beat.

pwklBVx.jpg

E45gLvJ.jpg

6zKYF9a.jpg

z5NHRSO.jpg

7EnnFgv.jpg

mLwtDPo.jpg

Ny9gsAQ.jpg

Qgek7t9.jpg

UigxFe7.jpg

tz8Gzo2.jpg

Great gift idea. Nice and clean. When you pulled the insulation, were you able to re-use the fasteners or did you have to use new ones?

Great gift idea. Nice and clean. When you pulled the insulation, were you able to re-use the fasteners or did you have to use new ones?

Yea they are a great affordable gift option for the off-roader in your life, quality kit too. There are 12 of those push pin fasteners that hold the insulation on and of the 12 only four made it unscathed and in reusable condition and that was after removing them with a proper pin removal tool as well. I ended up buying some more on Amazon to replace them all upon reinstalling it and you only need 10 with the use of the longer and larger pins that hold the lights.

Last edited:
Nice. I have a set waiting for install. Was gonna play around with placement fore aft center lateral. Any observations.

Check out what else I have planned.
Just need to plumb the power to rear from yet to be installed aux batt

25056CD9-4D74-4074-9C81-E5618AE219BC.jpeg

CD417093-5A9A-4352-9633-250675BBF54F.jpeg

I like what you did with the cyclones! I’ll have to add a couple more under the hood now! I’ve got 8 of them as rock lights.
76F4A840-050E-4B2C-A304-9628B90DBC47.jpeg

I’m sure you saw these:
That’s what I used, just liked the idea of being able to move them or take them off easily to clean.

Nice. I have a set waiting for install. Was gonna play around with placement fore aft center lateral. Any observations.

Check out what else I have planned.
Just need to plumb the power to rear from yet to be installed aux batt

View attachment 3207358

View attachment 3207359

Those look great flush mounted in the lift gate. In regards to placement I preferred them further outboard after trying them both more towards the center. The nice thing about these being radial in design is that they throw the light evenly in all directions which makes them more usable regardless of their location.

Can’t tell if yours are the original or the newer V2. There are color lens you can snap on.
There is a frosted white that is less harsh which I might put on my tailgate lights.

I’m trying to come up with a magnetic way to be able to snap on a red or amber lens when the situation calls for it.

Can’t tell if yours are the original or the newer V2. There are color lens you can snap on.
There is a frosted white that is less harsh which I might put on my tailgate lights.

I’m trying to come up with a magnetic way to be able to snap on a red or amber lens when the situation calls for it.

They are the newer V2's. I've seen the different colored lenses, but in the under the hood application I don't see the need, at least not for my use. Now if I were going to use them in other areas I would definitely consider changing to a different color lens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom