Kaymar Rear Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone here running one of the kaymar rear bumpers on their 80? I'm considering purchasing one, but I would like to get some opinions first.-John

If you plan on wheeling your 80 then don't get the Kaymar. It has a horrible departure angle. Look a Slee's instead if you want to wheel your 80. It is designed for wheeling.

From what I have heard about the Kaymar it is built for wheeling, but maybe not for rockcrawling. It seems that most of what is built for the later Cruisers is geared towards expedition type wheeling.

Expedition type wheeling is in my opinion the best and most fun type, but I don't know how to wheel like Wench. :tear:

I'm with Rogue, I've got the Kaymar and haven't had any issues yet. It doesn't seem to be as strong as Slee's where the bumper returns to the wheels but gets the job done for quite a bit less money. I got the double pin delux bumper with one tire carrier for 300.00 less than Slee's. The bumper bolts flush to the rear crossmember so unless that is cut off before installing Slee's I'm not sure how the departure angle is improved.

Rick

jy,

Nothing wrong with the Kaymar, you can see it at http://www.yomama.net. I like it and it is rated at 7k towing, not sure what Slee's is.

Yomama

Yo, the link didn't work for me? site down?

Yes, :dunno: what the deal is or maybe I do, Microsoft :mad:
I guess I will have to sit down with my friend :beer: and get it up and running again. Check again tomorrow....

Yomama

but I don't know how to wheel like Wench. Ê:tear:
Jealousy will get you nowhere..... 8)

OK, we sell all three bumpers, Kaymar, TJM and ours. So I think I can be impartial :D

Kaymar is a great bumper for towing & expedition wheeling, but it does hang lower down below the cross member, although it does wrap the rear of the crossmember the same as all the others. It is mostly the receiver that hangs down. Also, it does have two pivots which allows you to take the whole house with you on said expeditions. The wing supports are not great, and the corners are big, boxy and low. The tire carrier is not bad and will accomodate a 315 tire.

The TJM is a lower cost option, can be had with two carriers. Also, the hub is built into the bumper, so when you have no carriers, there is no spindles sticking up. It does have nice rubber caps on the ends and the corners are pretty small and tucked up. The wings are not very strong and the supports are also not that strong. The bumper wraps the crossmember, but the bottom is not turned in again. That leaves a lip that can catch and bend when you drag it over rocks. The tire carrier sits fairley low on the bumper and you can not run a true 35" tire on it without modifying the mounting piece. No receiver but the holes are left open on the back of the crossmember.

Slee bumper, it only comes with a single carrier, but it is high mount and takes a 37" tire. The wings are strong and well supported. No receiver, so if you tow 6k lbs all day, it is not for you. The corners are tucked up high and have about 3" more clearance than the Kaymar. The bottom lips are all turned in, and you don't hook it when you drag it off rocks.

Custom, well that is always the best since you can get exactly what you want, except in most cases, the cost would be a problem, unless you have a buddy that will make it for :beer: money. Or you have all the tools & stuff and want a fun project.

Hope this helps.

Christo,

What's your brand :beer:?

See ya Saturday......Bring your welding hood, I'll bring the ice chest :beer:

I should know this since I have one ::), but Christo is there a way (i.e., a way for a guy like me who isn't a machinist) to mount a gas can to the rear bumper/tire carrier?

Where else are folks mounting those besides the back bumper/tire carrier? Roof rack?

Thanks,

Simmons

Roof rack is not a very good option since its puts too much weight too high. My 4runner friends do it cause it looks good :slap:. Best option would be to buy a bumper like the TJM, Slee, or Kaymar.

Simmons, I recall seeing a rear spare tire mount in the SOR catalog for a single gerry can.  I'd be willing to bet that your Slee carrier could handle the additional weight.  You might want to check that out.  I've seen similar items on Jeep websites, too.

-H-

Attached to the spare tire would be a little awkward, since on the Slee carrier that's where the license plate goes:

cruiser_backleft_feb03.jpg

I'm thinking on the top of the left side of the bumper---but don't know if there's a Slee-designed holder. Christo still here?

You wouldn't have to carry it all the time, just when necessary. To relocate the license plate would be the simple part, just get some bailing wire....

BTW, we need to get some Arizona pinstriping on that rig--much too pristine. A nice tight trail or two in Sedona would be just the trick. :eek:

I've debated about putting a couple of can mounts on the rear quarter panels, with bracing from the inside, but..... :slap:

-H-

Put them up on top. You never know when you may need an extra 40 gallons.
Bill

Bill,

Show 'em the CRANE.......... :bow:

There were two mounted spares on top and I made this to raise and lower them from the rack. Dan wants to buy this from me - something about his bedroom. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom