kayak on an open 78 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:hmm:I have a 78 fj 40 I run topless. Just getting into kayaking - have two small kayaks - wavesport habitat 74 and a riot booster - I'm thinking of strapping onto the roll bar and the windshield. I'm using the preformed pipe insulation tubes to put over the windshield frame and it seems to protect it well. I'm not taking a cross country trip - just going to the local creeks. Anyone done this before without a rack?

can´t help you too much, but I´ll go boating with you if you´re anywhere near NY or the Northeast. On my way back from Central America and should be back in that area by April.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I am in Arkansas if anyone wants to do some creeking.

I have done it as well with no problems. Have fun!:). Went kayaking this past sunday, it was beautiful.

Hey, it's finally raining here in AR. What you're doing sounds fine. You might want to check to see if your boat moves some when you're on the road. It would seem the windshield tie down could get loose. If i see you on richland or another creek, I'll give you and your boat a ride in the pig. :beer: ty

I've carried canoes that way for many, many miles.

Pad both bar and windshield. Tie off front and back to bumpers and over the middle on the roll bar.

In the rain the water will certainly drip on driver. And the kayak and paddle will drip if not dried, on the driver. The mist from driving behind big rigs on wet roads will accumulate and drip, on the driver. But other than that it fine.

I welded a piece of pipe about 4" long vertically behind the front bumper where it was hidden. I used a smaller diameter pipe that would slide in and it and you could pin it to lock it in place. Make a stand in a T shape and it goes into your front mount and do the same for your rear or use the receiver hitch if you have one. I carried my canoe that way for a long time. No stress on the windshield mount is a good thing.

I think nspctr1 has a good idea with the front and back supports.

I don't agree that no stress on the windshield is good. The W/S is supposed to be supported up top, with the top. With nothing holding the W/S it will flop back and forth over time, I've seen them snap the hinge bolts (no fun on the freeway). Anything tied over the top will help secure the W/S, but not real well since there isn't much to tie it too. Not having the top on for extended periods can also stress the center of the frame, so I'm told, but I've never seen an FJ40 frame taco'd.

Ideally, if you travel most of the time w/o top, you will have rubber mounts that tie the W/S to your front cage, which also, btw, supports the canoe/kayak.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom