kayak in back of 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone try to haul a 12' or 14' kayak in the back of their 80? I'm in the market and trying to figure out if I'll have to get a roof mount or if I can make due in the back for a while. Trips would be short, ~15 minutes to the water.
Thanks.

I would buy a set of used Thule roof bars before I would try to put a kayak in the back. I have carried them on top and they always look bigger than you expect.

Are you talking about inside the cruiser??? it would hang out the back roughly 6-8 feet. Not advisable. I have a 14 foot kayak, could not imagine stuffing it in my Tahoe, let alone the smaller Cruiser.

Not sure if you could sneak it between the front seats, but if you could, it probably wouldn't hang out more than 3-4', or not much past the open lift gate.

I've fit 10' boards/etc that way, with the lift gate closed. Tight fit, but doable.

Still not advisable as you'd be driving around with an open lift gate and it hanging out the back. Throw it on top.

I put my 15 ft canoe in the back, once, when I first bought it and brought it home. It can be done, but I personally wont do it again. Much easier to put it on top with the foam blocks and tie downs, which I bought the day after I got the canoe.

I've done it a few times for short distances. (Don't recommend it though) I have a 16 footer. I fold the 2nd row down, tailgate is up. Nose of the kayak is right between the front seats, mid section rests on top of the tailgate. I pull the hatch down on top of the kayak as far as I can with some nylon straps.

Roof racks

Anyone try to haul a 12' or 14' kayak in the back of their 80? I'm in the market and trying to figure out if I'll have to get a roof mount or if I can make due in the back for a while. Trips would be short, ~15 minutes to the water.
Thanks.

Bro,
I can haul up to 5 yaks (including a tandem) on my 4runner with Yakima racks, which in your case would be the most economical. I just secure them with several nylon friction straps.

FYI given your short trips and single yak you can prolly get away with the OEM rack and a set of friction straps.....kden

All my long sea kayaks (even the short 14 footer) go on the roof rack. I have been lazy and stuffed my short surf kayak in the back but it still hangs out a bit and you have the nose smashing the console and in the way and the hatch banging and fumes coming in through the back and sand and salt water leaking on to the interior. It just sucks. On the roof is much better.

I agree with everyone on here. Even when I get to Ca I out my boards on the roof. I put my 8 1/2 in the back once but it got banged around. The patch and reglassing ended that little "oh I'm only driving a few miles" thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom