Builds Katit's LX470 2001 restoration/maintenance thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, reboot it is. This is what it looks like after cleanup :(
Good excuse to get some tools :)

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4804.jpg

Important stuff at last. Don't know but with my hands it was easier to take wheels off to get to those bulbs. 10mm socket for fronts and just plastic "mushroom" clips on back. Then bend out plastic and you get access to those bulbs.

Picture shows old and new LED. Had to dremel reflectors slightly so they fit. I guess original bulbs much more powerful or how should it be? I have more lights on sides where bulbs and less (about 50% less) to the middle. It's cool looking!

IMG_4863.jpg

IMG_4864.jpg

IMG_4865.jpg

Don't be too hard on yourself, apparently even the chuffing Mr. Toyota himself kinda stinks at this. There are numerous reports of these clips leaking grease in as little as 1 year on fresh OEM units. I too have suffered from this premature ejaculation of grease from Toyota pressed clips at least twice!

Good luck with the 200. This was a great thread!

Yes! I had lot's of fun. Being BMW guy - I tried 100 and loved the idea of this truck. Now BMW sold (but I got BMW motorcycle in pipeline). LX is on order, hopefully I will get it within a week or two. Looks like it will be one of the last LX570 made.

Yes! I had lot's of fun. Being BMW guy - I tried 100 and loved the idea of this truck. Now BMW sold (but I got BMW motorcycle in pipeline). LX is on order, hopefully I will get it within a week or two. Looks like it will be one of the last LX570 made.

So what caused the new LX to win over yours? I remember when you test drove one earlier you couldn't find a lot wrong with yours.

So what caused the new LX to win over yours? I remember when you test drove one earlier you couldn't find a lot wrong with yours.
Good question. Mainly I wanted new car. My LX was more to check what kind of car is that. I wanted it for fishing/hunting trips and such. But then I realized I like it a lot and I put more miles on it than on my M3. I also realized I don't need M3 anymore since I started to ride motorcycles. But I do need one car which is new and trouble-free. And even though 470 is maintained and all is well - I can't treat it as trouble-free car for 5-10 years. There is always something else "todo" if you start thinking about it.

LX570 just felt like a best compromise at that point. I also really wanted NA V8 and felt like it's a last chance to get one new. Also, from looks standpoint - I like Lexus grills, LX570 looks just fine to me. Driving-wise it may feel bigger but I think I will get used to it, not a big deal.

... And even though 470 is maintained and all is well - I can't treat it as trouble-free car for 5-10 years. There is always something else "todo" if you start thinking about it...
That has been my opinion of these trucks too. As durable as these trucks are, they are old trucks and do require upkeep. Enjoy your new LX

That has been my opinion of these trucks too. As durable as these trucks are, they are old trucks and do require upkeep. Enjoy your new LX
I would like to correct you here :) Not for "these trucks". It's my opinion on any 20yo vehicle. But I think these trucks is more of an exception to this rule as they can go pretty far even neglected. Realistically, most of the work I did wasn't necessary for keeping it on a road. Biggest items - all suspension overhaul and interior could keep going looong time.

Finally got my new truck. My new topic will be in 200 section(linked in signature). Guess not much going to be there for a while :)

P.S. Looks like "LX" is not real cruiser on "other" side
Teach them thay it is. Take it out to the toughest trails in Moab.

Guess is everybody bored with my steering wheel projects. Well, now I am done for now. Will run this LC wheel on my LX. My LX wheel will need wood restored in addition to leather and I will do it later.

Final result..

View attachment 2224696

View attachment 2224697

View attachment 2224698

View attachment 2224699

View attachment 2224700
The stitching looks very tight and good. I am considering starting this project on my 2005 LX. Just trying to figure out the sourcing of the leather. DId you say you went around to local suppliers and took them samples?

Thanks!

Trust me, I really want to finish it up as soon as I can. I have another Toyota (not a cool one) waiting to be fixed..
Once interior done - it will wrap up engine and interior. But I still have to do all suspension, axles, rack, etc. Don't know if it's happening in 2020. Plan to drive truck for some time after interior assembled.
So are you doing steering wheel leather re-wraps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom