Kakwa falls July 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I won’t be able to make the trip, however if anyone can get some GPS coordinates and share that would be great as I’ll looking to go in late July/early august.

Things are firming up, it's Me Roslyn, Lara, Elijah and likely the mutt, Pierce. We are planning to drive to GP on the 30, and will have to head home on the 3rd. I've got front axle rebuilt!

I'll bet there are some views of that Nose Ridge trail! There's another one called Horn Ridge as well that would be cool if accessible. This is a week and a half away, and coming up fast! Time for a role call. Who is going to make it?

I'll bet there are some views of that Nose Ridge trail! There's another one called Horn Ridge as well that would be cool if accessible. This is a week and a half away, and coming up fast! Time for a role call. Who is going to make it?

As usual, I will be last minute. Tori isn't sure if she can get the time off.

Tanis and I will be there. We will travel from YYC to twin lakes on July 1th. Should be there in the eveningth on the oneth.

Emma and I are starting to think about getting ready to begin packing.
We’ll be taking hwy 40 through grande Cache if anyone wants to join us on the scenic route.
My parents are coming along as well with their atvs

Emma and I are starting to think about getting ready to begin packing.
We’ll be taking hwy 40 through grande Cache if anyone wants to join us on the scenic route.
My parents are coming along as well with their atvs
That hwy 40 drive from Hinton is one of my favourites. Used to love working out in that country.
Really hoping to get up there and would love to join you guys heading north. Would be great to see you and Emma.

If it doesn't work out, backup plan is heading to your old stomping grounds and getting a few shuttle laps in!

Ok, here's what I got. Some trail info and camping sites from a friend of mine ND.

"Sorry for the slow reply, the trail to kakwa falls has gotten quite a bit more challenging over the last few years, and by that I mean more fun. I think you guys will have a great run at that time of year. We just went out with motorbikes today, only went to the first crossing of the Torrens (past stinkin springs), was a little high for the bikes. Last time I went up the Horn Ridge trail (years ago) it was quite overgrown with willows, but I think it may have been trimmed in recent years, and also by the ever wider side by sides that run up there. I don't know of any truck trail to the lower falls, but maybe? Also, the trail from the ranger station at the first lake up to the lookout on hat mountain is degraded enough that it's fun now too, we did it on bikes a week or 2 ago. It connects to the Bowen road now, so you can make a loop out of it. I think you may even be able to connect from the end of the Bowen road to Chicken Run road and then out to Either Weyerhaeuser main road or Hwy 40 if you want to do a different route out of the area."

"There's good spots near the Torrens at km 167 I think, and then off to the right, but they might be busy at that time. Also, there used to be a nice spot on the Torrens just before the airstrip, I'll see if I can send you a pin, the Torrens has swimming holes near that spot too."

54°18'25.2"N 119°50'21.5"W

"That first spot, there's a trail that wraps up hill from there to the spot where they usually have the horse camps, but not this summer, there's a nice grassy area and a small stream."
54°18'35.6"N 119°50'05.1"W

"Another spot."
54°15'14.3"N 119°51'41.6"W

Other than iphone, I don't have a GPS in the vehicle yet. Can someone save these to their whizzy nav system?

Last edited:
In hopes there may be dry wood is anyone bringing a chainsaw? I'll bring an axe, but don't have a chainsaw yet.

I have a Chainsaw. MIght even have some wood.

I will also bring a chain saw. Depending on timeline, we may be able to go find a nice camp spot and get a good stack of wood setup while we wait for the whole team to arrive.

Peter, are you going to be trailering there? If so, which trailer? That may effect which campsites we are able to pick from.

Yes, I am trailering, but it will be my oldest trailer, both, in that, it's the trailer that i've had the longest, and the most aged of the trailers... I am bringing Swerve, my military trailer, decked out as a camping trailer. I will be towing it with my HJ61. The trailer has 36" tires and 33 degree departure angle - probable better than every other truck that will be there! So, it can go a lot of places!
I am hoping that I can park it in one spot for 3-4 nights and do day trips for wheeling or fishing from there. So let's pick a great camp spot!

I’m excited to check out Swerve. We will be dragging our m101 named Dash behind us with what sounds like a very similar setup. I have no doubts we will find a great place to setup a base camp for our time there.

So as far as I can tell, our current list of attendees is:

-Jon,Emma and Dash
-Ibex (any passengers?)
-Jason with a gaggle of kids
-Peter, Tannis and Swerve
-Jeremy
-Curtis and Maryon with their atvs

-Tyler and Charla knows where we’ll be (sort of) and may grace us with their presence.

Am I missing anyone?

Missing Eric, who will make the right choice last minute...

Ibex is out. His rig is broken. But, I'm so pumped about this pilgrimage! Can't wait to get on the road in Vibe! Been prepping for weeks and need 2 more nights to feel ready, but only have one! I got big topo maps printed and there are some sweet lookouts at the end of most trails there, so lets hope the sun burns off the clouds.

We will be in a ground tent, so save us some trees to put up a tarp.

Last edited:
ya im up in the air... .be last minute call.

Unfortunately I have to bow out of this one guys. We had to take the cat to the vet today and he needs some meds and attention over the next few days.

Have fun!

Yes, I am trailering, but it will be my oldest trailer, both, in that, it's the trailer that i've had the longest, and the most aged of the trailers... I am bringing Swerve, my military trailer, decked out as a camping trailer. I will be towing it with my HJ61. The trailer has 36" tires and 33 degree departure angle - probable better than every other truck that will be there! So, it can go a lot of places!
I am hoping that I can park it in one spot for 3-4 nights and do day trips for wheeling or fishing from there. So let's pick a great camp spot!
I want to see a pic of this setup!

I want to see a pic of this setup!

770B262F-DA54-46C4-9517-865CA9E2C546.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom