K2's Wedding Present (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Introduction

This FJ60 was born in 1983 as a 1984 FJ60 Land Cruiser. First purchased in Scottsdale where it was loved. Was then sold to an artist that moved it to Flagstaff, drove it until the "brakes went to half" (destroyed rear drum calipers) and proceeded to plow it into an elk (this was probably not on purpose). Kurt, the most recent owner, a Toyota enthusiast and friend of "The Artist" purchased it and began the long process of bringing life to the '60.

This is where we come in.

The Purchase

In late May of this year, two of my friends took a trip and returned engaged.

The husband to be (K2 from this point forward) has had a long history of wonderful cars, from a classic mustang to an FJ40, the man has taste. However, he's been driving his two wheel drive, regular cab, basic Tacoma for years without a play toy.

The wife to be (DJ), places a call to help online, asking for friends with knowledge to help her find the right FJ60 to give as her wedding present to him.

Yesterday, DJ and I went to do the final inspection of the FJ60.

K2s%252520FJ60%252520004.jpg

DJ and Kurt (the Toyota Guru) signing over the title

As of last night the '60 has found a new home.

...okay, a new, temporary home. My garage.
K2s%252520FJ60%252520010.jpg
K2s%252520FJ60%252520005.jpg

Point of note: I'm an Isuzu guy...but don't hold it against me.

The Good

• It's solid with no rust issues. Kind of expected from an FJ that's only ever lived in AZ, but I was concerned about its life in Flagstaff. Fortunately those concerns were unfounded here.
  • Tranny and Transfer are doing their jobs well with very minor driveline noise.
  • Diffs seem solid with no leaks--I'll check fluid levels this weekend.
  • Selectable hubs are still the hardy Aisins--God I love Aisin--and working as they should.
  • Holds steady at 65mph at just about 3k rpms
  • Tires are in good shape
  • Interior is mostly intact
  • Has awesome, seemingly factory roof rack--not like the cheesy plastic ones I've normally seen from OEs (thanks Isuzu)
  • Original tool bag is a nice touch
K2s%252520FJ60%252520031.jpg

The Questionable

• Will it pass emissions?
  • Is a bit of a cold starter...takes a good fifteen minutes and a drive around the block before the choke can be disengaged (is this normal for the 2F? If so I'll remove it from the questionable section)
  • Heavy belt whine over 2.5k rpm...I'll chase that down pretty quickly though
  • I'm seeing a fair amount of fluid on the power steering box
  • Also seeing a pretty gunked up, old oil leak around the Bell housing and oil pan. not going to separate the engine and tranny if I don't have to, I'll clean it up and see what fresh fluids present themselves and move from there.
The Bad

• Driver-side Fender has been replaced but is of poor repair in the replacement as well.--I might leave this for now though if I can get the grill and healight covers all buttoned up without affecting anything.
K2s%252520FJ60%252520012.jpg

• New Grill is in the truck, need to get on the truck
K2s%252520FJ60%252520017.jpg

• Hood doesn't fully latch. Grabs on the upper latch, but not the lower. Currently able to drive highway without flying up, but should get solid.
K2s%252520FJ60%252520013.jpg

• Springs on hood don't hold up.--I'll check the j-yards
  • Needs a strut for the rear hatch window
  • Exhaust manifold leak
  • Have some disconnected vacuum lines--I'll need a v-line chart and does anyone know the tube diameters? Inside D of course.
K2s%252520FJ60%252520026.jpg

• No turn signals
  • A few light housings are broken or missing
  • Cruise Control doesn't work and the control bar (wand--whatever) is hanging loose from the steering column by it's wire.--I'll at least make it presentable, even if I can't get it to work.
The Plan

Since this is really a gift for K2 and supposed to be the best FJ60 we can give him to start his own build and make it whatever he wants...think of this as a pre-build.

I'll be storing the '60 in my garage until the wedding (or, if they choose to do a "camping" wedding like I expect, then until the morning they are packing for the wedding--which I think is a freakin' badass idea). I'll also be working to make certain that it is in solid driving condition for a basic camping trip.

Okay, that's it for the first post.

Let's all congratulate DJ on her fine taste and K2 on his (secret) new FJ!

-Brian (FTroop)

P.S. K2, by the time you read this you and DJ will be married. I just want you to know that you have a very amazing wife to plan this all out and include your friends in her gift to you. Alicia and I couldn't be happier for the both of you in your journey together and I wish you only adventure and joy on the trails that follow.

No tech to add .. just I wish DJ keep that love for Cruiser for years to come .. my wife was in love with the Cruiser experience when we was " dating " now .. mmmm different story .. !

Dj should know the target of K2 coz maybe he wants a baddass trail rig and don't care about fenders anymore .. :D

Oh man, the day has come and K2 and DJ are married. They return tomorrow and will see the FJ in the driveway. The front clip is back together, but could use a little tweaking, she's got a new battery, gas cap and some wicked mexican blankets for seat covers.

IMG_20111016_103807.jpg

IMG_20111016_103846.jpg

So much is still left to be done, Kevin.

You already know that marriage represents the kind of love that takes constant work and attention and that there is joy in the work that we do. You're going to have to take that knowledge to this truck. One important difference here is that you have plenty of friends that can offer wrenches and sound advice on Toyotas.

The rest we all just have to stumble through.

-Brian

Let's keep this thread alive once you know what direction the project will take. Hell, I hear DJ can even take some decent pictures of the progress.

Great gift!! I should get married too...

Great gift!! I should get married too...
:lol: sure get married for an awesome gift but then you wont have money to build it. all of it will dissapear :rolleyes:

:lol: sure get married for an awesome gift but then you wont have money to build it. all of it will dissapear :rolleyes:

:lol:! So true, but still it's a nice gift. My GF love to drive the 60, so it's easier to explain why I need to invest in it!

:cheers:K2 is a lucky man.

Brian - thank you for starting this thread man! It was cool to learn the history of the cruiser and all about the effort that went into the best surprise ever! Also, thank you and T for helping DJ find my new toy and for all of the work you put into it...especially the mexican blankets. I'm totally keeping those - they remind me of my old truck "Midge". As I'm sure you know, I've wanted a 60 for a long time and now my beautiful new wife and awesome friends have fulfilled that wish. Life is good. Thanks again, and I'll definitely keep this thread alive as I dive into my new project!

:lol:! So true, but still it's a nice gift. My GF love to drive the 60, so it's easier to explain why I need to invest in it!
:eek: the :princess: will never sit behind the wheel of my wagon :D

Brian - thank you for starting this thread man! It was cool to learn the history of the cruiser and all about the effort that went into the best surprise ever! Also, thank you and T for helping DJ find my new toy and for all of the work you put into it...especially the mexican blankets. I'm totally keeping those - they remind me of my old truck "Midge". As I'm sure you know, I've wanted a 60 for a long time and now my beautiful new wife and awesome friends have fulfilled that wish. Life is good. Thanks again, and I'll definitely keep this thread alive as I dive into my new project!
there is a statement to cheers to! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom