JW Offroad Spare Tire Mount (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can't comment on how the ACC mount attaches but I believe you are correct on both.

I thought about using a section of threaded rod and a series of bolts to attach mine to both skind, but it hasn't budged yet. Mine has been on since the Oct 26th and I've beat on it on a few trips now. It hasn't moved yet. Obviously years will tell the ultimate tale but I haven't felt the need to increase its strength yet.

I'll be doing some follow up pictures and a post in the near future. I'll be pulling mine off to Monsterline my truck. I'll take some pictures of the door skin, holes and the support, ect. This will be after a trip I'm taking. We'll see if she holds up to the Barlow trail from Mt Hood to the Bend, OR. area.

If it doesn't show any deflection, seam degredation or hole wallowing, I'll give it my official seal of approval (which is worthless), but will at least be some pictures for you guys to enjoy...

So if I am seeing it right. The JW mounts to the outter skin and the ACC mount drills through the outter skin and mounts to the inner skin is that correct? Neither company actually uses both skins for support. Correct?
The ACC I think, adds a sleeve between the inner and outer skins to keep the inner from crushing in and then the bolt goes all the way both skins. In my mind you are getting double the vertical mount support from both skins and in theory more strength. I could be wrong though.

JW seems to think by going through just the outer skin at its strongest point it will be fine. For all I know it could be fine. At this point only time and real world testing will see how they do.

The ACC I think, adds a sleeve between the inner and outer skins to keep the inner from crushing in and then the bolt goes all the way both skins. In my mind you are getting double the vertical mount support from both skins and in theory more strength. I could be wrong though.

JW seems to think by going through just the outer skin at its strongest point it will be fine. For all I know it could be fine. At this point only time and real world testing will see how they do.
Looks like you use a holesaw to make a hole big enough for the sleeve to fit through.

7CB3DD3F-FA8A-4459-9F94-D55038BFB8DF.jpeg

The ACC mounting system does in fact use a very thick walled, custom cut & powder coated spacer between the skins - in other words, it's not just a piece of DOM tube cut to length. The spacer is inserted from inside the door (tiny hands help in this part).

This is the primary difference in mounting processes between this JWO product and the ACC product. The second major difference is the integrated door support that does not impact the pinch seam at the bottom of the door.

Heads up they have 15% off for Cyber Monday.

Does anyone know if this spare tire mount is compatible with a Gobi ladder? I asked the same question in the ACC Becky thread and was told it would not, but curious if maybe this one will since they offer a 2.5", 3.5", and off center version.

Does anyone know if this spare tire mount is compatible with a Gobi ladder? I asked the same question in the ACC Becky thread and was told it would not, but curious if maybe this one will since they offer a 2.5", 3.5", and off center version.
Check out their website. There is an offset version listed but it says sold out.

Check out their website. There is an offset version listed but it says sold out.

Yeah, I went thru their site, IG, and FB and couldn't find any pictures of a GX470 with their mount and a rear ladder. I'm thinking the off center would be able to work with both, but wanted to confirm. Plus, I'd rather have it centered and be able to keep my ladder.

Yeah, I went thru their site, IG, and FB and couldn't find any pictures of a GX470 with their mount and a rear ladder. I'm thinking the off center would be able to work with both, but wanted to confirm. Plus, I'd rather have it centered and be able to keep my ladder.
I guess you might need to message them directly and see what they say.

I guess you might need to message them directly and see what they say.

Yep, did just that, this is the response I got:

Were midway through completion of the off centered. There is one individual that did make the purchase with a gobi ladder on his rig. We’re making it so you can accommodate both. Stay tuned. No Hugger option for off center.

The modular version will clear and not hit the ladder but the ladder is almost completely behind the tire. The Off Centered will be back soon as we get some feedback from the ones that were ordered.

Last edited:
Not with the door closed. Unless you are considering the shear strength?
Closed: the weight is transferred to a skid bolted to the rear crossmember.
open: the weight is on the hinge. From what everyone has shown the biggest issue actually comes from swinging the door open and letting it slam against the door stop. This over time can cause the inner and outer seams to tear apart.
So strut mod on the rear door is a bad idea with this setup and care needs to be given to not letting the door “bounce” off its stops when opening.

Closed: the weight is transferred to a skid bolted to the rear crossmember.
open: the weight is on the hinge. From what everyone has shown the biggest issue actually comes from swinging the door open and letting it slam against the door stop. This over time can cause the inner and outer seams to tear apart.
So strut mod on the rear door is a bad idea with this setup and care needs to be given to not letting the door “bounce” off its stops when opening.
Makes sense. Maybe it is ok without the Strut Modification? We vacationed in AU last year. Saw a shop that had maybe 8 or so Prado Rear Doors. Couple of them had the seam separation starting. Might have been from slamming the hatch or a larger heavier tire?

I have a 33 mounted on my door and I can say with confidence that if you open the door about 80-90% and put your finger on the seam and let it bounce the last few inches, you can feel the energy come to rest right on the seam. You can clearly feel the tension there. If you guide it open, that doesn't happen.
Mine has been on for a few thousand miles now with no issues.
I promised a longer review but i had a pinion bearing fail on my elocker so it got put on the back burner.
I'm rebuilding the diff this weekend. then I'll get some updated pictures posted.
My confidence definitley hasn't dropped in the product though.

Back in my Jeep days there were people adding limiting straps to their rear gate to keep them from bending the hinges when the gate swung fully open with an oversized spare. Jeep eventually added it as a factory item, but people would add, or swap, straps that were semi-elastic (weaved Paracord or a nylon mesh) to reduce the shock load on the hinges and body once the gate hit the limit. I wonder if something like that could be beneficial here?

^^^ Great Idea!

Update:

I've been running my carrier with a 33" for about 5k miles now. I installed it in Oct and have been doing a lot of driving. My truck sees PNW trails almost weekly and drives about 45 miles round trip for work.

My neck of the woods has dirt, mud, rocks (not boulders), downed trees, desert, mountains ect., just to give an idea of the terrain this has been getting used in. I also camp pretty often and have a fold down table on my rear door that is used for cooking and food preparation so my door hangs open a decent amount too.

I pulled my tire off this weekend to check my hardware and inspected my hinges and seams.

All hardware was still torqued where I left it. My hinges have no visible deflection and the seams on my door show no cracks or degradation. The tail light to hatch door and hatch door to bumper skin gap is uniform suggesting there is no sagging.

Of little significance but noteworthy; I switched to 35's on Friday and have 446 miles on them so far. The hatch and carrier are acting exactly the same as it did with my 33".

I will say, I am very careful not to let my hatch swing/slam open. My wife took a bit longer to learn, but she's no longer allowed to touch my GX as she is soon to be my ex. (Not because she let my hatch slam open), but that's a different thread...

Pics:

20200118_093457.jpg

20200118_093506.jpg

20200118_093514.jpg

20200118_093519.jpg

20200118_093542.jpg

What's the wight of your tires? some 33's weigh more than some 35's... so size doesn't really matter,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom