JW Offroad Spare Tire Mount (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good to know! Who would have thought it’s so hard to carry a spare.
I’ve seen several FJ doors with failures, especially on oversized tires. I had to be pretty gentle w/ mine after going to 285s. I never let it swing open unsupported or slammed it closed. They would split at the welds as well.

Not sure if they're on here as well, but someone just posted this in the GXOR FB group:

Well. All finished with the JWoffroad mount. Seems sturdy enough. Getting a 33” spare later today

73027501_10157406229193617_6034229584008839168_n.jpg

Good to see more of these on the road now. They are also testing one with a 42" 150lb tire on their house rig.

Mine came in yesterday. I have the mount installed but it got too late to install the cross member “dock”.

I’m happy with the overall construction and design. I will say, if you don’t have little school girl sized hands, I suggest you get a buddy to help with the install. I did it solo and was regretting not waiting for my wife to come home!

The space inside the door is TIGHT! My wrists look like I was trying to cut them with a butter knife from trying to push against the sheet metal to get at the bolts. Then holding a wrench both inside and outside the door required some yoga-like poses but I got it done.

I’ll post pictures and a more detailed write up in the morning after getting the dock wrapped up.

For now, it’s whiskey time!

Mine came in yesterday. I have the mount installed but it got too late to install the cross member “dock”.

I’m happy with the overall construction and design. I will say, if you don’t have little school girl sized hands, I suggest you get a buddy to help with the install. I did it solo and was regretting not waiting for my wife to come home!

The space inside the door is TIGHT! My wrists look like I was trying to cut them with a butter knife from trying to push against the sheet metal to get at the bolts. Then holding a wrench both inside and outside the door required some yoga-like poses but I got it done.

I’ll post pictures and a more detailed write up in the morning after getting the dock wrapped up.

For now, it’s whiskey time!
So it only goes through the outer sheet metal? Is there a flat plate brace or something on the inside to spread the load across the sheet metal?

So it's on.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. Nick has been great to deal with and the product is well put together.

Mine came covered with more bubble wrap then my recycling bin could handle so good care was taken to ensure it wasn't damaged in transit.

After opening everything up, all the bolts and hardware needed was present and sealed in heavy mil plastic and numbered/labeled. Two packets of detailed instructions with color photos were included.

Install was really straight forward. You will need a rivnut tool for the dock and I recommend having new/sharpened drill bits before getting started. The rivnuts can be installed with a bolt and a combo of nuts with some how to vids on youtube, but I happened to have the tool and propper tip.

Through the install I ditched my piston mod on the rear door. It was just to jarring and violent for the door with the added weight of the wheel. Reverting back to the OEM mechanism with lock was the right choice for me. YMMV.

I got the 3.5" hugger version and with a FN 5 Star and 285/70/17 KO2 it fit. It's a tight fit, but it fits with no contact.

I haven't installed my back up camera yet but I am running led plate bolt lights.

20191025_192026.jpg

20191025_192133.jpg

20191025_192137.jpg

20191025_192343.jpg

20191026_111057.jpg

The plate mount didn't work for me (on the left or right). Different size wheels/tires would change that.

It's a hefty design and I wish it would work but I cant tighten it and my plate is obstructed with it on.

I'm getting the center mount option from Nick shortly once they're back from powder coating.

The plate mount didn't work for me (on the left or right). Different size wheels/tires would change that.

It's a hefty design and I wish it would work but I cant tighten it and my plate is obstructed with it on.

I'm getting the center mount option from Nick shortly once they're back from powder coating.

Looks great. Good job. Mine came in yesterday but out of town till tomorrow night. I, too, went with the hugger but with a 2.5” since I have f5’s At -10 offset. That said I had a plate mount order but wasn’t going to work with the hugger. So I opted for the center plate holder

Thanks for posting the pics and info. Out of curiosity, did you buy a different rear door just for this project?

Haha...
Kinda seems that way, but no. That's an abandoned vinyl wrap project. I got half the car done, then decided to weld the molding holes clised and Monsterline the whole thing.

Haha...
Kinda seems that way, but no. That's an abandoned vinyl wrap project. I got half the car done, then decided to weld the molding holes clised and Monsterline the whole thing.
I've also abandoned my wrap and plan to bed line my GX. Happen to have an IG of your build?

Almost done with my install. Ran out of time to do the support. Current impressions is that these mounts are solid. Nick is great to work with. I went with 2.5” Hugger to accommodate my SCS F5’s -10. I originally had the license plate mount on order but won’t work with the hugger. Will be getting a center mount plate soon as they are ready.

Some notes of the install. Do some stretches if you are doing this solo. Like @ArBrnSnpr mentioned get ready to do some crazy yoga moves to tighten down some of the bolts. In the instructions it mentioned to drill a hole from the interior to feed one of the bottom bolts. I didn’t and just snaked it in from the top. Having a flexible foot wrench help reach the bottom and top bolts from the interior.

Now patiently waiting for my tmps to show up to mount my tire. (Just test fitting

835D47CC-14B4-4327-8556-6B8A31F7150A.jpeg

544EBC5D-FEC6-426F-A339-0FFAFABDB910.jpeg

0410D7A0-8EF5-4407-B6EE-59487D750DCF.jpeg

There is double sided tape. You could put a layer of roled Silicone if you wanted something else. Like those high temp cooking sheets or cutting boards.

The double sided tape is more than enough though.

So if I am seeing it right. The JW mounts to the outter skin and the ACC mount drills through the outter skin and mounts to the inner skin is that correct? Neither company actually uses both skins for support. Correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom