Just wondering for thos who have done the chevy SB conversion what rear dif did u ru (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Well when you did a smallblock swapo With chevy smallblock chevy trans and transfer case what dif did you replace the stock toy rear dif with?

No im not meaning rockwells. But regular difs
chevy ten bolt tweleve bolt?
ford 9 inchu
ford8.8
dana 60
dana 70
Dana 44?
Or did you leave stock rear in and offset the smallblock in the engine bay?

Reason i ask is when my cruiser finaly dies on me. I already have a 92 caprice ex cop car with good running smallblock tbi injectiuon system all accesorys the works comp all i need is to sort the harness or order a painless harness. &00r4 trans needs output shaft changed to 4x4 shaft. And i have a dana 300 transfer case in my jeep.

I got a u pick u pull junkyard across the street dirt cheap prices. So i can pull me a rear dif out of something over there.

When u did the smallblock conversion did you gain any gasmilage? :cheers:

Most SBC conversions retain the stock tcase, Toyota axles and diffs.

Proffitt's Cruisers offers a Land Cruiser rear axle housing with a centered diff that you can use. The other option is to use the SBC and the tranny, but retain the t-case (via an adapter).

If you're going to use a domestic rear axle, go Dana 60, anything smaller is not an upgrade unless you spend a fortune on upgrade components.

Whats it run for the adapter ring to bolt the stock transfer case to the chevy trans. Ide like the 700 r4 for overdrive but could settle with a turbo 350 or turbo 400 trans. I have a habbit of going to the booneys then brakeing down with some stupid part that nobody carries the the parts guy always says if ya had a smallblock we could fix ya right up

Happen in main in a yj with a 4 pooper cltuch on the cltuch fan went up and windshield got shatterd. had to go with electric fan and lexan windshield for the ride home to bemore after we waited for 4 days for the bussness to open beins it was a holliday weekend.

I think it was advanced adapters website i read if you run the chevy trans smallblock transfer case combo you had to offset the motor like a inch or two or something like that.

How would you comeparee a chevy 12 bolt chevell rear strenth wise ?

If you use the Advance Adapter, you want the 2wd tailshaft, not the 4wd. Stock 60 rear is stronger than a 12-bolt, IMHO.

Last edited:
I've tried a couple of sets up

On my 60 I ran a nv4500 to the stock transfer case with cruiser axels and 4.88s. It worked great. When the case finally gave up on me, I went with an Atlas that required a centered diff. Proffitt's axel is sweet, I still run the same third member. If you can live with a 2:1 reduction the stocker is an easier way to go. I however, wanted to get down to 4:1 one in the case and there is no Rockbox that would seem to work with a 60. Some guys have tried dual cases, but I'm not really sold on the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom