just wanted to give a shout out to Charla,Tyler ,Awl_TEQ thanks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer
Threads
hey guys,I just want to thank Charla ,Tyler ,Awl_TEQ ,and Tyler's parents and the other guy sorry i forgot his name with the awesome awning who gets flat tires all the time ,:D thanks for all your hospitality and keeping us warm at night ,lol ,it was great to meet up with you guys and put some faces to your mud names, sorry Awl_TEQ i forgot your name :doh: , if it wasn't for you guys we may have froze to death .ha-ha
who would of thought a Canadian could freeze in California . ,the beers ,fire and chicken wings where awesome , ,thanks again ,it was cool to meet you guys , i still think its nuts that your parents came out from SASK ,,

:cheers: -N- :beer:'s

Jake & Anita

The ones who's name we shall not say is Peter, behmoth60 here on mud. He only got two more flats on the way home. Not bad...

The ones who's name we shall not say is Peter, behmoth60 here on mud. He only got two more flats on the way home. Not bad...

I think Jake is thinking about someone else. Fully 60% of my tires had no problems at all.

Peter you got flats on your XL's?

Yes... but... 3 of the 5 XL's I was running were discovered under a pile of weeds in Shakers' back yard, and had been there for almost 9 years. And the 2 of the 3 tires with which I had problems were from these really old units. I think I originally bought them used for Zipolock in 2003, maybe.

One of the tires had pre-existing gashes in the sidewall, and the sidewall let go while on the dunes in Pismo. There was an attempt to fix it with a patch and a tube, but that quickly failed too. The spare was on a split rim with a tube, and once the spare was put into service, the tube, which had previously held air, suddenly didn't.
To get home, we found a tire shop that took the good tire off split rim with the bad tube, and mount it on the good rim.
So, to be fair, I had one sidewall failure of a 15+ year old tire, that had pre-existing gashes in the sidewall. The other failure was a Tube in a Split rim that had been sitting under weeds for ~10 years. However, the process of battling these two unrelated failures led to no less than 6 'side of the road' tire changes during the trip, which made it feel like a lot more.

The root cause of all this, as well as the 3 flats on the Clunker classic, and the lost bead on Shaker on Nomad Creek is that I've been too cheap to buy proper tires/rims this year and instead been using really old hand-me-down tires. That is ending today. 5 of these are on order.

Interesting, I was just doing some looking for XL's and can get them new from the Netherlands as per this email I just received, price seems not too bad even with exchange rate, wondering if you know of a better place to get military tires?

We can offer 9.00R16 Michelin XL new for 245,- euro each. Transport to Vancouver I can't tell. We normally don't arrange part cargo outside of Europe. I guess it cost easily 200 to 300 euro transport.

wondering if you know of a better place to get military tires?

Negative. I got 2 of the 5 XL's from a used dealer in Edmonton for CAD$200 ea. They were re-grooved once, but in pretty good shape still.
I got my 12.5R20's in 2012 from Ebay. They were brand new old stock for a really great price.. However, the US Military stopped using that size on whatever vehicle they were using them on, which is why I got some brand new old stock tires as they were retiring all that invenotry, but now that those size tires are not in use, they are unobtanium now.

My future will be with the Continental equivalents... the MPT80 and 81's. They have the same sizes, and in fact, more sizes, such as that 10.5R20 I linked to. They are widely used by the 'expo' community on the bigger trucks, so they have better availability than the Michelin Military tires.

Let me know what you can land those Michelin's for out of Europe. I will log that for future reference, for sure.

Ok Still undecided on getting them, I know I will in the future for sure, but if I don't have a use for them now, I might just wait so I don't have a set of 5 year old expensive tires sitting around ;)

Least he didn't blow a seal.

... It was great to finally meet you Jake and Anita. :)

Blow a seal!! :lol::lol::rimshot:

Great to meet you too Jake! Anita must kinda like you to travel so far in a soft top SOA 40! Ratpuke wouldn't even do the whole trip in a Troopy with all kinds of heat. We had to pick her up in Vegas!

The Behemoth Dutch Oven skills were inspiring. Pizza was my favorite. Or maybe the corn bread. Wait, the Notchos baked all crispy like on the fire.

And then there was the restaurant food. Who could forget those Burritos. Who needs GPS, we navigate by stomach.

Kevin

Interesting, I was just doing some looking for XL's and can get them new from the Netherlands .... wondering if you know of a better place to get military tires?

Negative. I got 2 of the 5 XL's from a used dealer in Edmonton for CAD$200 ea.
Let me know what you can land those Michelin's for out of Europe. I will log that for future reference, for sure.

For used, you know anything of this guy? Michelin XL 9.00 R16 | Military Tires He advertises on ebay and sometimes CL. Not much in 12.5R20's listed. Was considering putting some 8.25 xzl's on a spare set of splits :meh:.

I didn't find them in my searches, just some tractor tire place in Winnipeg, who responded a few times but never had any, and some companies out of the states, then for new the Netherlands company (which is where a guy from the middle east got his tires for his double cab 79). Seems like the cheaper way to go to get almost new XL's, and they are Canadian. Let me know if you want to get a bunch, I would consider getting in on the shipping if he can give us a deal for a group order ;)

For used, you know anything of this guy? Michelin XL 9.00 R16 | Military Tires He advertises on ebay and sometimes CL. Not much in 12.5R20's listed. Was considering putting some 8.25 xzl's on a spare set of splits :meh:.

I didn't find them in my searches, just some tractor tire place in Winnipeg, who responded a few times but never had any, and some companies out of the states, then for new the Netherlands company (which is where a guy from the middle east got his tires for his double cab 79). Seems like the cheaper way to go to get almost new XL's, and they are Canadian. Let me know if you want to get a bunch, I would consider getting in on the shipping if he can give us a deal for a group order ;)

Interesting. I still have those XL's Deny and have not done anything with them to date. Still have those two on the trailer? Would you stick with XL or get the XZL if you ordered from that supplier and why.

Surf and Turf...sounds like a good time.

gb

Ha ha, nice Greg, I'd probably be the same way if I bought some now, as they will be for future projects (I just had a small idea that I might run my wagon more as a daily driver and might have a sooner use for them). I still have the two on the trailer and two on my cruisers as spares. Yes I would stick with the XL, I like them, they look old school military ;)
DSCF0318.JPG

Last edited: