Just Saying Hello - New 80 Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking at the pic of your steering arm studs, it looks like you have gear oil seeping from between the steering arm and birf housing, as well as around the front inner steering stud. If the threads have been penetrated with oil, you need to be vigilant about checking they are tight - and start preparing yourself for the first real right of passage for Land Cruiser 80 ownership - the front axle overhaul. I'd bet money your inner seal is blown and you have soup in that birf. Don't panic, just don't wait years to address the issue.

That's weird....The PO claimed this was all done: "I just completed a front end overhaul including new OEM birfield joints, trunnion bearings + races, gaskets/seals, wheel bearings, brembo rotors, 100 series upgraded brembo pads, and fluids. Over $2000 in parts and labor..."

@ppc beat me to it and posted a thread I started for this. I had bad seat belts on a couple of my 80s and couldn't seem to find a decent used one. So I took a risk and it turned out great! I could not be happier. I highly recommend. The only downside is that it can take a week or so. If you don't have a spare set of belts laying around (everyone should!) then you will be without seat belts.

As for the locktite on the steering arm studs, No. The PO probably torqued them right but they weren't all the way seated. And a little driving and they settled in. Torque them, then check them periodically.

You will find that this group of people is the greatest group (albeit a little paranoid and obsessive at times). A few guys have had their steering arm studs shear off. Obviously this isn't a good thing, at all. A couple of guys have had wheel lugs shear off. Obviously this isn't a good thing either. Because of this, I carry a full set of spares of each in each of my 80s. Even though I've never had a loose one or any issues. But Daggumit! I'm prepared if I ever do!

There are some good guys up in your neck of the woods. Get to know them. @retrofive is up in Oregon. He knows a thing or two.
He is a lot closer to our northern Cascade Cruisers brethren, but always willing to lend a hand

As a solution to the vibration? The PO just did a bunch of front end work, so maybe that's a GREAT spot to start. Thanks!!!! Also, any ideas on a good place for an OEM replacement front DS seatbelt in the brown??
Welcome! I needed a gray DS seatbelt and googled around and found one at a not-terribly-cheap price, and only days after ordering it, I saw the thread on 'seatbelt re-webbing' that came up here. Brown belts are apparently hard to get, so re-webbing may be your better and cheaper route.

The backing plate and felts do look a lot cleaner than the rest of the knuckle so it looks like he may have not cleaned those studs and nuts from all the crud from before the job was done. He probably paid a shop to do it, I don't think most mechanics would clean all that crud off even though they should.. Like others have said just keep them tight. Use a crow foot wrench to get to them if a socket won't fit. You can't take the dust shields off easily.

prod_12257085312.jpeg

I don't see anything definitively wrong with those knuckles. If there's gear oil seeping it'd be dripping down pretty clearly from the ball/felt area. Take a gander at the FAQ (sticky thread at the top) and spend a good several hours there. Almost all of your questions will be answered there. 80-series FAQ

Start here to learn up on the front axle since that's a fairly big difference between Jeeps and Toyota solid front axles.
Front Axle Rebuild - For FAQ

Looking at the pic of your steering arm studs, it looks like you have gear oil seeping from between the steering arm and birf housing, as well as around the front inner steering stud. If the threads have been penetrated with oil, you need to be vigilant about checking they are tight - and start preparing yourself for the first real right of passage for Land Cruiser 80 ownership - the front axle overhaul. I'd bet money your inner seal is blown and you have soup in that birf. Don't panic, just don't wait years to address the issue.
I see the same. I would get all that stuff sorted out before you jump into a motor swap. If I have learned one thing on this forum it's that keeping the truck stock allows you to use the FSM, which tells you how to be a pretty good mechanic if you do what they say and use the parts they tell you to. Once you get into different motors and transmissions, different axles and any number of less than OEM approved modifications, you are off the reservation, so to speak. If the Chevy motor somebody jammed in there doesn't synch up with the rest of truck, you have a mess on your hands. Take a look at some of the swap threads. There are more than a few dead dogs in that part of the human brain.

These trucks are awesome the way they are. You don't need a different set up , you need to make this setup the best it can be and if that doesn't work out, you can plan for your conversion.

Never heard of Rhododendron Oregon and I've lived here my whole life...googled it and was automatically dumbfounded at what I found....you live in a village! No wonder people back east ask stupid questions like "do you all have in door plumbing now?" Oregon still has villages! Great! Nothing useful to add, that is all. Oh, and welcome...or whatever they say in your village.

My sight is either going or no one gave you the obligatory MUD welcome :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Knowing this 80 series rig the way I do, the Factory Service Manual is the way to go. It gives all the torque values and techniques to restore these rigs to a respectable level. There are ALOT of 40" tires and 6" lift threads on here but a logical approach to maintenance is always prudent. My only advice is to fight the urge until you figure out how you want to use this beast. The 80 series is overbuilt and most under utilize the true capabilities of a stock configuration. There are those who truly need that lift but I am not one of them. Flame on stock haters!!

Again, welcome to MUD and I wish you many miles of Cruiser addiction.:flipoff2::flipoff2:

Never heard of Rhododendron Oregon and I've lived here my whole life...googled it and was automatically dumbfounded at what I found....you live in a village! No wonder people back east ask stupid questions like "do you all have in door plumbing now?" Oregon still has villages! Great! Nothing useful to add, that is all. Oh, and welcome...or whatever they say in your village.
:rofl:

LOL! Well I don't really live in a village. Portland was turning too much into a "you know what show" so I headed to the hills. Live in the foothills of Mt Hood now. Mt Hood Village is an RV/yurt/cabin rental place.

LOL! Well I don't really live in a village. Portland was turning too much into a "you know what show" so I headed to the hills. Live in the foothills of Mt Hood now. Mt Hood Village is an RV/yurt/cabin rental place.
I love that area.

My sight is either going or no one gave you the obligatory MUD welcome :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Knowing this 80 series rig the way I do, the Factory Service Manual is the way to go. It gives all the torque values and techniques to restore these rigs to a respectable level. There are ALOT of 40" tires and 6" lift threads on here but a logical approach to maintenance is always prudent. My only advice is to fight the urge until you figure out how you want to use this beast. The 80 series is overbuilt and most under utilize the true capabilities of a stock configuration. There are those who truly need that lift but I am not one of them. Flame on stock haters!!

Again, welcome to MUD and I wish you many miles of Cruiser addiction.:flipoff2::flipoff2:

Thanks buddy!

Thankfully I have years of wheeling experience, and have many times given that EXACT same advice to newbies in the Jeep community. I understand the value of using it for a while before mods. I am looking at this being a family overlander (sold the Jeep as I was bored with rockcrawling) so IMO 37+ tires are out for me. I am even reconsidering my LS1 plans, and am going to put in a rebuilt 1FZ-FE engine. My build plans are very modest - maybe some better lights, updated wheels, skids, and rails. I am also eyeing a front bumper and rear tire carrier (I currently have no spare). You WILL NOT see a big lift/tires etc from my build sheet :)

For those that want to see the Jeep I built and sold last week, the build is on my blog.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom