Just replaced antenna mast, now won't go down all the way. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It goes down all but about 2" then stops and the clicking sound starts. Seems to go up just fine. I tried lowering it with radio on and off, still no luck. Any ideas?

Sounds like you have a little piece of the plastic leader that is still in the motor. So you might have to remove the motor partially and take it apart to remove. I am pretty sure there are thread on that.

antenna

Did you try turning off the truck after turning off the radio. and Christo is right there is a thread for the disassembly. I did it for the first time and it shouldn't take that long..

SWCruiser said:
Did you try turning off the truck after turning off the radio. and Christo is right there is a thread for the disassembly. I did it for the first time and it shouldn't take that long..

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I just tried it with the truck off/radio on, then truck off/ radio off, then press the down button till it stops about 2" off the hood and starts clicking.
Is this clicking normal? This is my first 80...

When I replaced the mast (it was bent by PO so I've never seen it down all the way) it seemed to be able to raise the antenna far beyond where it could go if that makes any sense. Is there some type of adjustment perhaps that I'm missing?

FSM on its way, ordered mid last week.

me too

Sorry I can't help much but I did just order a new one from CDan and would like to know too.

NorCalSam said:
Sorry I can't help much but I did just order a new one from CDan and would like to know too.[/QUOTE

Please post here if you find a solution to this. Its kind of annoying to have replaced the mast only to have it not go down all the way. I'll go in and check the motor when I have time, but it just seems like there might be something else that I'm missing here.

BTW, just got my FSM in, wow, that sucker is huge!

:D

The clicking is normal on earlier models whenever the mast has reached it's limit (or is stuck). On my 93 (I think the 91 is the same) turning on/off the radio/vehicle does not affect the antenna, on the later models, it would retract when turned off and extend to it's previous position when turned on. You may have a small piece of the plastic track from the old antenna that is stuck in there, but fortunately mine just started to fully retract after a couple days of cycling it, though sometimes it still only retracts all but the last few inches. Good Luck.

Razorshock said:
Thanks for all the replies so far.

I just tried it with the truck off/radio on, then truck off/ radio off, then press the down button till it stops about 2" off the hood and starts clicking.
Is this clicking normal? This is my first 80...

When I replaced the mast (it was bent by PO so I've never seen it down all the way) it seemed to be able to raise the antenna far beyond where it could go if that makes any sense. Is there some type of adjustment perhaps that I'm missing?

FSM on its way, ordered mid last week.

Yeah normal when the ladder is at its limit. Mine's broken-clicks all the time-but I just left it that way-I get out to pull it up or put it down (depends on the amount of tree cover on the trail). I thought I better spend my money on things that don't make my truck say "OUCH!"

Clicking is normal. Take Slee's advice and take apart the motor, and remove the part of the old one you didn't get out.

You did compare the length of the plastic, didn't you? Your answer will be right there.

I just replaced mine for the second time. First time the toothed drive tape looked broken off at the end, I took the drive apart and pulled many pieces of drive tape out. Did that with both my 80s, kind of a pain. This time the old one came out complete, the new one went in uneventfully.

Thanks guys, I'll get to that motor then! I only replaced the metal part of the mast and reused the old plastic toothed line.

Razorshock said:
I only replaced the metal part of the mast and reused the old plastic toothed line.

Hmmm... didn't know that was an option. How do you do that, and insure that the plastic line is properly attached to the mast? Is it possible the attachment isn't adequate? I guess taking apart the motor and checking the line can't hurt (although a total PITA). Really, I don't understand why you wouldn't replace the plastic line. That's the weak link in these things to begin with.

:beer:
rookie2

Rookie2 said:
Hmmm... didn't know that was an option. How do you do that, and insure that the plastic line is properly attached to the mast?
The early model 80 has a different antenna which allows you to replace just the mast and reconnect to the plastic track, the later model is "all-in-one". I replaced just the mast on my 93 as that was all that was broken on it, but had to replace the whole thing on my LX.

My wife won't go down all the way either. I haven't thought about replacing her though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom