just purchased a 89 4Runner SR5 - 3.0 and have some questions NYC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys ,
i just purchased a 1989 4Runner with 105k miles , im starting to get into it and have some newbie questions .
it needs a windshield and i am having a hard time finding the rubber seal that goes around the window , i was hoping to buy it ahead of time so whoever installed the windshield so they didnt hack it when they installed .

the 3.0 has that loud click in the valve train and i think i want to fix it , someone told me that i need to find someone that has the special tools to do the shims , anyone local to NYC that can do this ?

is there FSM that i can DL for this ?

where can i get the vinyl spray dye for the dash pad i can only find in black ?

i think thats it for now , i will post a pic a little later .

There is no gasket for the 1st Gen 4runner windshields except for the Aussie market, it is glued in the frame with the chrome or black trim that clips on the outside.

Contact the Gotham City Cruisers and see if they know any good installers for older Toyotas. A so-so installer will mean leaks to come, ask me how I know:rolleyes:. My local dealership wound up contracting with some no-talent boob and I had to get another installer to re-mount the windshield after the windshield frame was fixed by IPOR, see below. Lesson learned:meh:

Also be prepared to fix rust and rot on the body/frame when the old windshield gets pulled off, common occurrence on the older trucks and needs to get fixed before the new glass goes on.

Search around the Toyota sites, there are PDFs of manuals close to your you need floating around. Check the FAQs, there may be a link to Yotatach or some similar site where PDF manuals are availible.

Last edited:
You can buy the valve compression tool on eBay, you also need a good feeler gauge and a micrometer. There is a procedure with a big table in the FSM that shows how to do it, you might have to get some new shims.

do you think anyone has that write up anywhere online? i havent had any luck getting the FSM except for an 88 .
i will look for the tool now .

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom