Just Purchased a 1997 FJ80 and want to get her ready for a roar trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
New to the forum and happy to be joining the FJ 80 community. I owned a 1991 FJ80 for 22 yrs and it was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Sold it to go cruising on our catamaran and regretted selling it and vowed I would get another, so here we are. Hope to also contribute to the forum with my marine solar installation experience.
We just purchased a 1997 FJ80 off auction through a friend, who has her waiting in Indiana for us to pick up. He and a mechanic have been through the vehicle and generally reports are its in good shape. vehicle runs strong ABS light was on but just needed a fuse. It took a bit of a bump and the bull-bar is bent but because its a non winch version I plan to replace anyway. Paintwork is not great and will need a respray but generally including chassis interior and engine she is in good shape.
I am having a mechanic go though it to get it ready so we can pick it up knowing its mechanically sound and can do some miles. I plan to send stuff up to be mounted when I get up there. The plan is to install refrigeration on slider, duel battery, roof rack and possibly a new front bumper if the one I want from Slee comes in on time. The plan is then head West to Colorado visit friends and have more work done on the truck including a lift kit, rear bumper with swing outs, and possibly new rubber if we need it. Hope to do a bit of overlanding out there then head back to FL.
SO looking for recommendations for the following:
  • Front Bumper
  • Rear Bumper with swing out for tire and jerrys
  • Fridge, I have already purchased a Dometic CFX 75 but interested to hear of slide out options although may build myself.
  • Stove, cooktop options
  • Full size roof rack in aluminium that can take a tent at later date
  • 3" lift to support this gear and 4 people. looking for good HWY driving with reasonable off road capability 35-37 inch tires?
So hit me with what you would install of you were building from scratch. Love to see your rigs too if you have pics.
I dont mind buying quality/pricy stuff if it absolutely the best and justifies the extra cash however cost effective solutions are appreciated. Show me your pics

Thanks All!

Hey there! Sounds like you're not new to 80's, just this one. I can't claim to have a ton of experience but I do have some of the items you're asking about.

1.) Rear bumper with swing-outs: I have the older Slee bumper which I like quite a bit. I'd consider the new one if I were in the market but I like what I have well enough. Very solid. Looks good.
20180809_085646.jpg

I also have a Metal Tech front bumper. I like it but I guess it depends on your taste and what you think looks good.
20180522_182047.jpg

My roof rack is Frontrunner and I have been very happy with it. Its solid and its easy to attach things to because the extruded rails can have any number of attachments or custom brackets bolted to them. Holds a RTT just fine. I even drove into a hole big enough to swallow the cruiser (long story, poor judgement, enough said) and the roof rack didn't show any damage even though it was loaded at the time.

nvrmnd

I think it depends on your use case but if it were me, I’d go Slee rear bumper, white knuckle sliders, @dogfishlake Bowfin Cruisers roof rack, slinky stage 1 or 4 depending on $$$, not sure on the front bumper since there’s nothing out there I’m in love with except for the Costa fabrications one that is NLA, and as long as I’m spending your money, I’d go for Snow Peak anything and everything with a Cook Partners stovetop.
Excited to see the rig and see what you do with it. Congrats and welcome back! :flipoff2:

Hey there! Sounds like you're not new to 80's, just this one. I can't claim to have a ton of experience but I do have some of the items you're asking about.

1.) Rear bumper with swing-outs: I have the older Slee bumper which I like quite a bit. I'd consider the new one if I were in the market but I like what I have well enough. Very solid. Looks good.
View attachment 2634647

I also have a Metal Tech front bumper. I like it but I guess it depends on your taste and what you think looks good.
View attachment 2634674

My roof rack is Frontrunner and I have been very happy with it. Its solid and its easy to attach things to because the extruded rails can have any number of attachments or custom brackets bolted to them. Holds a RTT just fine. I even drove into a hole big enough to swallow the cruiser (long story, poor judgement, enough said) and the roof rack didn't show any damage even though it was loaded at the time.

Nice ride. That Frontrunner roof rack looks like it can hold a lot and some. How high is the lift and what do you have in it?​

I think it depends on your use case but if it were me, I’d go Slee rear bumper, white knuckle sliders, @dogfishlake Bowfin Cruisers roof rack, slinky stage 1 or 4 depending on $$$, not sure on the front bumper since there’s nothing out there I’m in love with except for the Costa fabrications one that is NLA, and as long as I’m spending your money, I’d go for Snow Peak anything and everything with a Cook Partners stovetop.
Excited to see the rig and see what you do with it. Congrats and welcome back! :flipoff2:
Thx for your recommendations. I was just looking at the Bowfin Cruisers roof rack and it looks like a winner and can hold what I want it to. Alas they are not in stock! Ah well may have to wait for that one.
Thx

Nice ride. That Frontrunner roof rack looks like it can hold a lot and some. How high is the lift and what do you have in it?​

The lift is approximately 2.5". TJM springs in front, OME heavies in the rear, and TJM gold shocks on all four corners. Full disclosure, I didn't do any of the modifications that you see. I bought the truck this way. I do work on it myself and I have done mechanical repairs and maintenance but it looked pretty much like this when I got it. PO had a pretty good aesthetic eye so I've been happy with most of what he did.

Hi all
New to the forum and happy to be joining the FJ 80 community. I owned a 1991 FJ80 for 22 yrs and it was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Sold it to go cruising on our catamaran and regretted selling it and vowed I would get another, so here we are. Hope to also contribute to the forum with my marine solar installation experience.
We just purchased a 1997 FJ80 off auction through a friend, who has her waiting in Indiana for us to pick up. He and a mechanic have been through the vehicle and generally reports are its in good shape. vehicle runs strong ABS light was on but just needed a fuse. It took a bit of a bump and the bull-bar is bent but because its a non winch version I plan to replace anyway. Paintwork is not great and will need a respray but generally including chassis interior and engine she is in good shape.
I am having a mechanic go though it to get it ready so we can pick it up knowing its mechanically sound and can do some miles. I plan to send stuff up to be mounted when I get up there. The plan is to install refrigeration on slider, duel battery, roof rack and possibly a new front bumper if the one I want from Slee comes in on time. The plan is then head West to Colorado visit friends and have more work done on the truck including a lift kit, rear bumper with swing outs, and possibly new rubber if we need it. Hope to do a bit of overlanding out there then head back to FL.
SO looking for recommendations for the following:
  • Front Bumper
  • Rear Bumper with swing out for tire and jerrys
  • Fridge, I have already purchased a Dometic CFX 75 but interested to hear of slide out options although may build myself.
  • Stove, cooktop options
  • Full size roof rack in aluminium that can take a tent at later date
  • 3" lift to support this gear and 4 people. looking for good HWY driving with reasonable off road capability 35-37 inch tires?
So hit me with what you would install of you were building from scratch. Love to see your rigs too if you have pics.
I dont mind buying quality/pricy stuff if it absolutely the best and justifies the extra cash however cost effective solutions are appreciated. Show me your pics

Thanks All!
FZJ80!!! Not fj80 [ICODE]:flipoff2:[/ICODE]

Paint it like this and than you will be set....

maxresdefault.jpg

Just my opinion, but seems like you're rushing into it pretty quick. Maybe just get the rig mechanically sound, use it, and see what you really need? I've had my 80 for 10 years and still working on it. Check out the "What did you do to your 80 this weekend" thread, as well as use site:forum.ih8mud.com in Google to search for threads with regards to bumpers, suspension, etc. It will be worth doing a bit more research before diving into it. In my opinion I'd probably prioritize mechanical stuff first. Then probably tires. If you're set on a lift, do that first then tires...then figure out the rest. That being said, the fridge is one of my favorite "mods" by far...so stick with that!! (Never found a need for a slider though).

Just my opinion, but seems like you're rushing into it pretty quick. Maybe just get the rig mechanically sound, use it, and see what you really need? I've had my 80 for 10 years and still working on it. Check out the "What did you do to your 80 this weekend" thread, as well as use site:forum.ih8mud.com in Google to search for threads with regards to bumpers, suspension, etc. It will be worth doing a bit more research before diving into it. In my opinion I'd probably prioritize mechanical stuff first. Then probably tires. If you're set on a lift, do that first then tires...then figure out the rest. That being said, the fridge is one of my favorite "mods" by far...so stick with that!! (Never found a need for a slider though).
I don't think sliders are a bad idea with a wheelbase of 112" and an unfavorable breakover angle. Oh and Rocks ,boulders, etc.

Sounds advice, I have a mechanic going through the vehicle with a long trip in mind so hoping the major stuff will be taken care of. Our fridge will do double duty in the truck and in our catamaran cockpit. I have another 91 battery box so setting up duel batteries comes next. I also sell Lithium batteries in my Catamaran service business so the truck will be getting one of those too out the gate. Next I was going to focus on the roof rack so we can carry some extra gear.The front bumper it came with is bent so I was looking into a replacement.
ANyway will keep you all updated on my progress and post some pics when I get the vehicle in hand.

So hit me with what you would install of you were building from scratch...
I would do the OME stock height springs and stick with 33" tires or smaller. MPG and highway driving will really suffer with the bigger tires that you may never really need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom