Just Purchased a 1993 with 220K. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i also buy from rock auto all the time and everything is great. the only time i had to do a return it was painless and they sent me a pre-paid shipping label and just took the shipping cost out of the refund.

Last edited:
the only thing I'd recommend is not buying from Rock Auto due to their abhorrent customer service, but some people need to learn the hard way, just like I did.
The hard way? Rock auto has been the best for me if i ever had to return anything at all the print out a label for you free of cost and take a discounted rate off the retun value, not sure how you had a problem , sounds like a personal vendetta against them as ive used them for years and have been more then satisfied with them. Especially returns

I'm in southern NH, let me know if you need help, I might be able to help, or point you in the right direction.
That’d be great once this snow melts you’ll see me in your inbox, im actually in Gloucester MA ! Thanks so much!

Last year, I bought these three items from amazon warehouse deal for $41 total.
All were new in their boxes... worth a look.
ASIN Fan Clutch AISIN FCT004
ASIN water PUMP AISIN WPT023
Idler Pulley GATES 36788

Some photos

IMG_1325.JPG

IMG_2987.JPG

IMG_7082.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_3364.JPG

Last edited:
Rusty

IMG_5679.JPG

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_5901.JPG

IMG_4470.JPG

Last edited:
PT. 3

IMG_6005.JPG

IMG_8873.JPG

IMG_6578.JPG

IMG_6612.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

Last edited:
The hard way? Rock auto has been the best for me if i ever had to return anything at all the print out a label for you free of cost and take a discounted rate off the retun value, not sure how you had a problem , sounds like a personal vendetta against them as ive used them for years and have been more then satisfied with them. Especially returns

So wait a moment, I had something negative to say about an online parts supplier that you've had a dissimilar experience with. Without asking me about why I would have this point of view that is dissimilar from yours, you have described my opinion as a "personal vendetta against them". Interesting, coming to a conclusion without having a conversation first... sounds like Rockautos crappy service department! Since you didn't ask, I too dealt with them for many years and liked using them *UNTIL* I had to get service, which they have none of... IN MY EXPERIENCE.

Glad to hear their crappy service has worked for you, while 3,303 reviews average to 1 star, 3303 reviews are lots of reviews.

This guy is not happy either,

Welp, now I don't feel so bad about the rust on my truck. That looks like it's going to need quite a bit of TLC to bring back to life. If you can get it running, I would probably start with trying to pressure wash some of the big chunks of rust off and then get under there with a wire wheel on the angle grinder, scrapers, a needle scaler if you have air, etc. Then start soaking everything in bar chain oil or Fluid Film. Some of those parts like shocks are shotsky I am afraid though.

So wait a moment, I had something negative to say about an online parts supplier that you've had a dissimilar experience with. Without asking me about why I would have this point of view that is dissimilar from yours, you have described my opinion as a "personal vendetta against them". Interesting, coming to a conclusion without having a conversation first... sounds like Rockautos crappy service department! Since you didn't ask, I too dealt with them for many years and liked using them *UNTIL* I had to get service, which they have none of... IN MY EXPERIENCE.

Glad to hear their crappy service has worked for you, while 3,303 reviews average to 1 star, 3303 reviews are lots of reviews.

This guy is not happy either,

I have had good luck with RockAuto as far as the quality of the parts go usually, but I would agree that their customer service system isn't very good. It seems like kind of a tricky thing for them though as refunding money for parts that customers say aren't functioning before they get them back seems like it could easily be abused. One of the major issues with ordering parts online in my opinion.

again i Live in MA so
Welp, now I don't feel so bad about the rust on my truck. That looks like it's going to need quite a bit of TLC to bring back to life. If you can get it running, I would probably start with trying to pressure wash some of the big chunks of rust off and then get under there with a wire wheel on the angle grinder, scrapers, a needle scaler if you have air, etc. Then start soaking everything in bar chain oil or Fluid Film. Some of those parts like shocks are shotsky I am afraid though.
to be honest im not so worries. i live in MA so its common. ill pull out the suspension, new pan hard rods etc. then just get under there with my grind/paint. in MA we don't have those clean frames you see on this page unfortunately its my reality haha no garage yet.

again i Live in MA so

to be honest im not so worries. i live in MA so its common. ill pull out the suspension, new pan hard rods etc. then just get under there with my grind/paint. in MA we don't have those clean frames you see on this page unfortunately its my reality haha no garage yet.
Oh yeah, I hear ya. I live in the super rust belt where we dump thousands of tons of salt on the roads for 6 months out of the year. Mine wasn't as bad as yours, but I got it knocked down pretty well and the oil treatments have made removing fasteners a lot easier. I still need to heat a lot of them up, but I don't snap too many anymore.

I would take a look at the gas tank and the filler neck along with the skid plate. The filler necks get rotten and they aren't available from Mr. T any more as far as I know. I found a clean one on eBay and I found a skid plate from the same seller and new(used) rust free tank from a Mud member. I patched the filler neck as I ran out of decent weather last fall and it has been holding up fine all winter, but it's on the top of the list to get after when it warms up.

The good news in your case is that the price was right and dumping some sweat equity and some new parts into it won't be so bad. Glad to see that you are rescuing a truck that should still have a lot of life left in it once you get things spruced up a bit!

Nice snag. I would do water pump too. See if your idlers and AC Pulley are good. Fan might be ok, just check it. Cool Rig
IS the AC pulley needed , im not so concern about ac at this point ?

If you are going to put in a new timing set, go ahead and get a new oil pump and power steering pump while you're at it since you will already have the front pulley off.
do you think its a good idea to do the timing set? i got it running today and with a bad alternator and pulleys seized up it ran and ideled fine. for the short time i let it run didn't want to overheat it.

just buy 200 bucks worth of parts and fluids and do it. its cheap and i have never seen an 80 in my life (outside of mud members) that the owner took care of the front end. they are always worn out and need to be fixed.
what parts are needed? thank you

do you think its a good idea to do the timing set? i got it running today and with a bad alternator and pulleys seized up it ran and ideled fine. for the short time i let it run didn't want to overheat it.
I kind of wondered why you were going to put in a new timing set, but didn't question it because it's your truck. It most likely does not need it.

I would say start with new belts and idler pulleys and go from there. Make sure the a/c pulley is not frozen up from rust. If it is, you can either replace it or just leave the a/c belt off for now.

thank you! i just went with
New Reman Denso alternator
ASIN Fan Clutch and Blade (figured for the 20$ ill pop in a new blade) not sure if the blade he had was the correct one as he put in not the correct fan clutch.
ASIN thermostat
GENUINE Accessory Drive Belt Set fits 1993-1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 909160235383
Toyota 16603-66010, Drive Belt Idler Pulley
Toyota 88440-26090 Drive Belt Idler Pulley

Total spent $330

figure this is a good place to start and then go from here. we'll see when they come in and ill update on status

Last edited:
Do a search for McGeorge Toyota in WV I think.

They are the cheapest Toyota dealership I've worked with and you can find the info online and have it delivered to your door.
Make sure to enter your VIN number and they will cross check that you got the right parts.

I would post the link but I'm on my phone.

Got her running today popped in a new 27 Group Battery from Consumer Auto Parts.
all the lights were on the dash im assuming due to the belt drives, alternator being seized. pulleys seize etc.... ran it and drove it down the rode and back. 4low engaged perfectly drove and shifted amazingly. suspension has had it as you can see from the photos so i was not expecting a plush ride :) haha. ill be getting some plugs and wires tomorrow, and do a oil change on her as well. here are some pictures on the 1.5 year revival start !!!!! pumped

IMG_4016.JPG

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_2257.JPG

IMG_8835.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom