Just purchased a 1973 Cruiser hard top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all newbi here.

I just purchased a New Mexico (dry climate) 1973 Cruiser from my childhood neighbor who is now 67. The curiser has 96,000 org miles. The instrument clusters still work including the light!

It's a forest green hardtop with only surface rust with slight rust at the rear door pilar.

It has a balanced 350 and power stearing with 2000 miles (motor was installed in 1990). When I was younger I used to marvel about the Cruiser and always asked for a ride and helping him wrench on it. However, my neighbor only used it as a hunting vehicle and never drove it as a daily driver.

He purcashed it in 1980. I'm the 3rd titled owner. The Cruiser was rolled on its top in a hunting accident in 1987, but the only thing damaged was the roll bar and fiberglass top.

This thing is very clean considering its age. However, it will require a lot of restoration work as the fenders are out of allingment and bent and the doors don't fit perfect. The gaskets are shot and paint is necessary.

When I got it home I drained the gas, installed a rebuilt cab and chagned oil. To my suprise the thing fired right up and only required minor fule/air adjustments and we drove around the block. My mechanic friend inspected and was very impressed. Motor and drive train will come out in the week to come for gaskets and rebuilt.

We are also tearing it down to prepare for a soda blast and necessary body work. I'm a little scared to get too involved becasue I have a limited assigned budget from the wife. Nevertheless I'm excieted about the restoration and look forward to chatting with everyone.

BTW, I paid $3500 for it!

PICTURE POLICE! Where the pics at????

To hell with the limited budget. Get rid of the wife, were talkin about a cruiser here!

Uno- Do you drive a Volvo too? No flames... I just see a familiar name.

Rob

Funny yes I have a Volvo S60R. Are you also a member of the R forum? Funny what are the chances... I've spent many a late night since I purchased the cruiser tearing it down.

If you've read my post recent post in the R fourm, I slipped the clutch on R and ran into my bicycles in the garage and wounded my bumper... Expensive mistake $600 for a new bumper and $2000 in damages to my bicycles (both need to be replaced). I attribute my mistake to the late nights working on the cruiser. I tell you lack of sleep is worse than drinking a twelve pack.

We'll have to meet one day. It's very obvious that we have similar interests. Werid, very werid.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom