Just Pouting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well my cruiser has been on blocks for more months then miles I have been able to drive it. My rear main seal leak project for this weekend turned out to be the front tranny seal. The seal between the tranny and transfer case must be bad? Quite a bit of fluid in the tranny and just a bit in the transfer. I guess I pull them a part, might as well take the time to refurbish the transfer? I was hoping that project came with the 5 speed. That expense is not in the cards.

Just pouting, sorry to take tech space. Thanks for all the good feed back from past posts. That is what makes working on it all the better. And knowing why the tranny, transfer case fluids were off.

85 FL60 on blocks for now. Jim

months, did you say months??

i laugh at your months:) , i bought my 60 on 8-22-02.
i got it back on the road, pretty much for the first about 3 weeks ago....and it could still use alittle tweaking.

Count me in too

Man that sucks,
Here's my new drama. After getting my 60 back from a week with the ol lady. I just found out that I must have either the wrong head gasket on & or installed it on backwards (can we say no oil on the top end). I won't tell everyone how many miles We've driven it this way (More than 1000 but less than 3000). I should have gone & had CCOT exchange the head gasket instead of me cutting out the right holes. I missed the most important hole! :eek:
At least I didn't really gall up the rockers or the shaft.
Guess who won't be wheelin for 5 days this Labor day Like I had planned.:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
Dave.

BigGunJ,

Are you aware that the tranny/transfer seal problem is quite common and that there is a work around besides breaking them apart and replacing the seal? You can rig up a line from the fill hole on the transmission case to the fill on the transfer case, so when the fluid begins to build up in the transmission case it drains down into the transfer case. Specter Off-Road sells an Oil Return kit for this purpose (#062-98) but you can rig one up yourself for a lot less. It may be a band aid of sorts, but I've gotten by on this for many years. I'll save my money and efforts for the 5-speed.

Just a thought.

Matt

mrsvle,

I read several posts on that. It defentially was a thought. I figured since it is sitting on the garage floor that I should go ahead and open it and just do the work to the transfer now and that will be a few bucks saved when I can get the 5 speed. The 5 speed is probably a year or two away. I have not had much seat time to figure out all the differed maintenance / neglect problems that need repaired yet.

Items done so far
1. Power wash, bearly made a difference!!!
2. Exhaust manifold gasket. Had to belt sand the manifold it was quite warped. (was on the fence about desmog and header at the time?)
3. Replaced air injector rail, some of the emisions parts, all the vac tubing.
4. Rebulit carb.
5. Replaced the front main seal, pan gasket. Every nut, bolt gasket has faught me to the bitter end. Flushed the radiator.
6. In the process of the rear main, now tranny / transfer.
7. Probably have forgat some small stuff?

Needed
1. Front axel birfs, seals, bearings. probably breaks and rotor turned.
2. Steering colum u joint.
3. Adjust the valves
4. install A/C. Cruiser came from Alaska and no A/C was a big suprise.
5. Rear end main sail leak and probaly breaks, drums?
6. Of course drive it and get the rest of the list.
Not to mention all the fun stuff like lift, tires, stereo etc.

Work completed should have been a good couple weekends and some good after work time. In the process remodeled the wifes bathroom. The front end of my F250 needed ball joints, drag ling and tie rods, all new wheel bearings and seals (very bad timing on the trucks part)

It all good. Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom