Just picked up my first 24V truck what do i need to know ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I Just picked up my first 24V truck what do i need to know ?
Do's and don't ?
Best place for bulbs fuses etc.
Backups ?
24V to 12v dc converter ?
I am located In eastern ontario and I travel regularly to upstate Ny
Thanks for your input , I am looking for practical experience so if you are a keyboard cruiser and really have no experience with 24V trucks please refrain .
Mike, moose

So I Just picked up my first 24V truck what do i need to know ?
Do's and don't ? Do wire your batteries in series, not parallel. Don't hook up 12 volt accessories unless you want to see it fried. Most cell phone chargers work from 9-30 volts (check yours first!), so you don't need an adapter.
Best place for bulbs fuses etc. I buy mine online and buy a box. That way I have spares when I need them. They also seem to be cheaper online. Up there, you could probably find them at truck stops also.
Backups ?
24V to 12v dc converter ? I put a 40 amp unit in mine hooked up to switched power. I put in an aux fuse block to this to run my 12 volt accessories.
I am located In eastern ontario and I travel regularly to upstate Ny
Thanks for your input , I am looking for practical experience so if you are a keyboard cruiser and really have no experience with 24V trucks please refrain .
Mike, moose

Have fun with it!

:cheers:

Get a good 24v charger/battery maintainer.
I have one of these from CdnTire
http://www.gnbsystems.com/noco-genius-battery-chargers-3600mA.php

If the 24/12 converter is connected to the batteries so the memory in the CD player/radio stays active, the batteries can drain in a week or so.

If the truck is parked for more than a week in the winter then I connect the G7200 battery charger/maintainer. I also have a pair of Cdn Tire solar panels connected as 24v and plugged into the 'cigarette lighter' socket to keep the system charged in the sunny season.

If you're operating in a cold climate then a matched pair of marine starter batteries are the best option; they're made for starting diesels in the cold.
I'm using a pair of these:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...up+24+Starting+Battery,+650+MCA.jsp?locale=en
Get two with close serial numbers.

Avoid expensive 'gel' cells.

Have fun with it!

:cheers:
^^^^ What he said.

Make sure that previous owner did not hook anything on a single battery. On mine some accessories were hooked that way and the recent batteries were having issues. I replaced mine with the correct size and close serial number from Walmart.

Batteries from same batch , one number off . So no issue .
Purchased a 24-12 Orion 70A converter to a blue sea 12 fuse block so several circuits available
Planning on purchasing solar , on the list .
Blue sea amp/ volt meter .
Previous owner had battery issues . Plan on new battery cables and alternator and starter connections . Mil spec battery terminals already here and 2/0 ,4/0 battery cable scraps from work so free is good even if it is overkill .
Thanks
Mike,moose

That's true, I've replaced batteries cables, the ground and the cable connecting both batteries. Made a small difference.

Now you just have to drive it!

No problem driving it ! Love it love it love it ! But my bj60 with a ct 26 turbo has more power and better fuel economy ! I am just spoiled now . Two cruisers one for the bush and one solid camping rig ! Next venture is to build a solid wvo kit and make my split tank for under the truck . Who cares about fuel economy when it costs pennies !
Mike,moose

No problem driving it ! Love it love it love it ! But my bj60 with a ct 26 turbo has more power and better fuel economy ! I am just spoiled now . Two cruisers one for the bush and one solid camping rig ! Next venture is to build a solid wvo kit and make my split tank for under the truck . Who cares about fuel economy when it costs pennies !
Mike,moose

2H or 12HT?
It'll make a big difference to you WVO setup.

Tim

2H or 12HT?
It'll make a big difference to you WVO setup.

Tim

how would that make a big difference?

I am converting my 1983 HJ60 2H 24v.
I can't see any big difference on the 12H-T and 2H fueling system when thinking about WVO. One big difference are pneumatic governor on the 2H and mechanical on the 12H-T, but that have nothing to say on the WVO matter.

Maybe you are thinking of IDI on the 2H vs. DI on the 12H-T ?

Just curious as I am doing the 2 tank conversion as well.

One thing worth thinking about is installing a main power switch, it helps eliminate the battery drain caused by 24v-12v converter and stuff like that...

Have fun with 24v, I have an outboard converter for trailer light and would not buy that again as it is to expensive to forget/get stolen.
Maybe I will use some extra cable so the converter can stay in the vehicle.

I have a switch to switch off the radio 12V inverter because it will drain the battery for sure.

Are you sure you can get enough and a steady supply of vwo (oil or fat?)
Above freezing my HJ60 can take up to 83% salad oil. (mix with 100 ml 2-stroke or new engine oil)
So maybe you can first drive a few thousend km without extra tank and collect more info from other hj60 vwo dual tank setups and learn from these owners?

In Europe the oil supply and waste removing will be closely monitored in the future.
At this moment I cannot get the oil even if they want to give it to me because I can not deliver an official document that I am allowed to collect waste oil.
I have found some shops have more waste oil than they should have for the production/tax they pay, so there is some potential...

Because I store the oil in my backyard that is a crime, driving it is a crime (no tax) so the whole thing is more about becoming an anarchist (αν αρχος) and hating the establishment :cheers:
Old diesels can drive on wvo so the Dutch government bans old dielsels :hmm:
Shell and major stake holder queen beatrix must love this "democratic" outcome :censor:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/automobiles/old-car-owners-bristle-at-proposed-ban.html?_r=0

Lasse this online shop in Germany sells a lot of vwo stuff:
http://www.monopoel.de/catalog/filtration-c-45.html

lol, anarchist have other thingt to do than thinking about transportation :steer: :D
http://www.i-f-a.org/index.php/component/search/?searchword=wvo&searchphrase=all&Itemid=146

Last edited:
Already been doing wvo in my bj60 with a ct26 for 4 years or more and have ample supply and a solid refining system . All good . I have quite the inventory of clean and dirty and laws are designed to keep business going not the environment or the common citizen . I run a raw power centrifuge and am quite happy with it . I run 100% wvo in a two tank system year round . Looking at making a hidden seamless system in the HJ

What does a guy need to know about jump starting a 24V rig. Or about jumping a 12v rig from a 24v rig.

Lasse this online shop in Germany sells a lot of vwo stuff:
http://www.monopoel.de/catalog/filtration-c-45.html

Thanks for the tip, but have bought inn all I need already. Just need some time to assemble it and building an wvo cleaning station/rig.
Have gotten 2, 24v pumps designed for jet fuel and 2 spare feed pumps just in case :)
Here in Norway there are no rules on wvo collection or burning. I have managed to get a deal with a shopping center where I can collect up to 200L a week for free. They normally have to pay a company to collect it. Only downside, it is bad oil. It gels up at around 10C and where I live i often get below -30C in the winter ...

Back on topic:
Do it simple for yourself, use as much 24v equipment as you can and run the rest of a converter.
example: buy 24v lights instead of 12v. buy a 24v stereo like me, much easier than connecting up a 12v one.
My electrical system consist of mostly 24v equipment, the few things that need 12v are driven of my 24v to 13.8v 45A converter with a little motorcycle battery in parallel to the converter. I also have an 2kW 24v to 230v pure sinewave inverter for my 2Hp compressor and other stuff.

My old alternator are only 25A and believe yours to be that to. It is to small so going to modify and install a Izusu 50A or 80A unit with vacuum pump on.

What does a guy need to know about jump starting a 24V rig. Or about jumping a 12v rig from a 24v rig.

Jumping a 12v rig from your 24v rig = wouldn't do it. It will destroy your batteries over time, but in an emergency tap 12v directly of one of the batteries.

Jumping your 24v rig from a 12v source = wouldn't do that to often either, but I don't think this would harm your battery to much.
connect your 12v jumping source directly to your weakest battery. Done this a couple of times in the winter at really low temperature. If you have 2 12v sources isolated from each other connect each source directly to each battery.

Hope that made any sense.

Jumping a 12v rig from your 24v rig = wouldn't do it. It will destroy your batteries over time, but in an emergency tap 12v directly of one of the batteries.

Jumping your 24v rig from a 12v source = wouldn't do that to often either, but I don't think this would harm your battery to much.
connect your 12v jumping source directly to your weakest battery. Done this a couple of times in the winter at really low temperature. If you have 2 12v sources isolated from each other connect each source directly to each battery.

Hope that made any sense.

If you're not in a hurry and have 12v car and cables you can just connect one battery at time to 12v car and let the batteries charge for a while, if you can get your voltage up to 18v-19v it should be enough to start you car (atleast in 12ht on a warm day that is)...

Anyway the better solution in my opinion is to tow-start the car if you have big enough car to get you moving (A friend with a4 audi once tow-started my hj)...

I have a 12v car battery charger I use when I have time for it to charge up the batteries, one at a time.

I would imagine a lot of smoke and a lot of towing trying to tow start it in -30C with no power to heat up the glow plugs, but it would be doable.

Tow starting doesn't work on an automatic as I assume everybody knows, but who won't those boring and slow auto's anyway :p

I have a 12v car battery charger I use when I have time for it to charge up the batteries, one at a time.

I would imagine a lot of smoke and a lot of towing trying to tow start it in -30C with no power to heat up the glow plugs, but it would be doable.

Tow starting doesn't work on an automatic as I assume everybody knows, but who won't those boring and slow auto's anyway :p

Agreed, I wouldnt try it myself when it gets below zero (heck, i bet you wouldnt even get traction enough to get engine turning), it's best left for warmer seasons...

Ps. this is actually the reason why I always suggest that people install main power switch, it prevents draining your batteries therefore you (should) always have enough juice for starting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom