Just Painted My Motor... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm replacing the tired F in my '78 40 with a '77 2F. Once I extracted the motor from the donor rig I figured I may as well shine it up a bit before dropping it into my truck. The plan quickly morphed from a simple degreasing to a paint job, and then I read a thread on here about the POR15 engine paint. Two days later, I snapped and ordered the POR15 engine paint kit. Pretty slick. I went with Chevy Orange, I guess so the engine would be easier to find when I lifted the hood. It's nice and bright for sure. I've gone through it and replaced most of the gaskets while it was on the stand. My friends at SOR have been steadily shipping me bits and pieces as I've needed them, and dare I say it, I think I'm finished with the motor. Jim C has my carb at the moment, and I bought a new clutch setup from Autopartsway.com after finding them in a thread here last week. $177 shipped for everything except the alignment tool seemed like a pretty good deal. Once I figure out how it all goes together I'll be styling... Who knows, it may even start when I'm done with it.

Here's a few pics.
Motor 003.jpg
Motor 005.jpg
Motor 004.jpg

Sweeeet!

Looks awesome!!! You will certainly be able to find it, even in the dark!!!

I am about to overhaul a 2f from an fj55 I have for parts to install on 4 year 1973 FJ40 frameoff. Do you know of or recommend a "master rebuild kit?" Are there any parts that I should buy directly from Toyota? 9 years ago, when I rebuilt the 2f on my 1980... had problems with the oil pump and ended up having to re-rebuild the bottom half.

What are your thoughts?

Very Nice

Thats a nice looking LC there in the background, looks like you take good care of her. Keep up the good work:)

Do you know of or recommend a "master rebuild kit?"

JT Outfitters sells one for $700. It includes all gaskets, bearings, pistons, rings, etc everything you need to rebuild the engine including a new oil pump.

When you order it you have to specify if you want standard size or over size on the pistons/rings, crankshaft main bearings and connecting rod bearings. They offer all of those in standard .10, .20, .30 over sizes. I've used the kit before and was very satisfied with the quality of all of the parts.

Very nice.....now you just need a nice winter up here in Vermont to break her in.....

Trick or Treat!!! It reminds me of Halloween.

Looks good I like it.

i was thinking about doing this. is there a how-to thread on how to do it?

Maybe clear powdercoat, but I polished one and cleared it with urethane......It was good for a few months, but eventually came off in sheets. The one I have on now was etched(which darkens it a little) and cleared with urethane and it has held up really well.

GL

Ed

Thanks. I thought I'd like the orange color and when I opened the paint can it was orange enough to make my eyes hurt and I thought "Yikes, this might be overkill..." but I like it.

Milkwagon, I'll be the first to say I'm not the one to ask about rebuilding a motor. I'd recommend reading all you can here, it's a wealth of information. I will say that the consensus here in Mud is to buy OEM when you can. SOR does stock OEM parts and I joined their little club (club SOR or whatever the hell they call it) so I get 15% off, which helps.

Hallmark, thanks but that made me laugh... I'm in Vermont and I bought my rig from a guy in Maine a few years back. Both states kill vehicles fast enough that if you close your eyes you can hear them rot. It's really not that nice. That shot happens to capture it's best angle, straight on from the front. I had to make the choice between redoing the body or making the damn thing run right, and I figured if it had a strong motor at least I'd be able to scuff rotten body parts off back in the woods rather than having them fall off in my yard.

Coolerman, a buddy of mine does powder coating and is hassling me to give him a bunch of goodies to coat. He did my intake manifold and it looks sweet. I may have him do more before I'm done.

MtnTrucker, I just looked at what I thought this motor needed (mainly gaskets) and started ordering parts. I'm hoping I don't have to go as deep as what you're talking about.

VTC60, Looking forward to some wheeling and beers when the weather breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom