Just out of 4 year storage. Clutch issue. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just pulled out the 40 after being stored for the last 4 years while I finished school. Fresh fuel and a prime and she fired right up. Brake pedal nice and firm. Clutch pedal, completely floppy. Clutch master was low, so I filled it and pumped and pumped the pedal, still nothing. I dont see any evidence of leaks, but I suspect the master is bad.

Any suggestions?

How low is low? If it sucked air into it, you'll need to bleed it to get the air out. However, as was mentioned above, if the seals failed and the fluid bled out, you'll probably need to rebuild the cylinders or buy new ones anyway. However, I would at least try to bleed it first to see if that helps. Besides, bleeding it is basically free vs new cylinders.

Good luck!

:cheers:

Thanks for the replies. I was gonna try bleeding it all before I put any new parts into it, but on the other hand, the parts are cheap.

Can I bleed them through the bleeder on the slave, or is there a better way??

If you have a vacuum pump for bleeding, you can do it that way from the slave.

Yes, just bleed it from the bleeder on the slave.

Shawn

Thanks to my yeti-like arms I was able to bleed the slave and pump the pedal by myself. I got all the old nasty fluid out, got decent pedal pressure and could see the pushrod moving the fork.

So this morning, I went out and checked it again. The resevoir is still full, no sign of leaks, but no pedal pressure until it is almost all the way to the floor.

What now, new parts?

Sounds like there is still a little bit of air in it or it needs to be adjusted. Or, it could be both. If you think all the air is out, adjust the slave pushrod out a little bit. Do you have the FSM or a Haynes for all the specs?

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom