Just need to get it started (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thecrazygreek

A.K.A. TheCraftyGreek
Threads
I have a 69 FJ40, and have been doing a frame off for along time now... ANyhoo, I am ready to fire her up today.. Theres no body, just the chassis...

Whats the bare mimimum as far as wiring goes, to start her up?

Im thinking:

Pos from Batt to starter. Negative to frame.

Coil Neg to distributor

Then a switched wire from starter to switch back to starter?

This is where I get lost.. I just need basic wiring to start er up..

Do I need to get the alternator involved? Should I and if so, how?

Thanks
:cheers:

The bare minimum other than what you described would be to-
1. run a wire from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil
2. use a screw driver(or other metal thingy) as a jumper between the primary connection on the starter soleniod and secondary connection on the soleniond to actually crank it

I don't think I'm leaving anything. Hopefully, someone will chime in and correct me if I am. Good luck.

Oh, also you will want a ground strap running from the engine to the frame. DC voltage always like to have a return path.

So its not an original motor any more? Didn't see that in the post...

Don't believe an F had an idle soleniond...

I stand corrected. No wires running to my '71 carb. Bought new in Jax. Fla in '71?? Where is it and how does it work since not on carb? I understand on my '78. See it and know how it works. Guess I'm confused...

I'm assuming the carb on your '71 came from the later Cruiser that your 2F came from. It should still have some sort of idle soleniod. On the later Cruisers I *think* it recieves power through some of the emissions stuff via one of those little green clips. I could be utterly and horribly wrong about that. Once again, there are others out there who could explain this better than I, but the idle soleniod on my '71 is just mounted on the back(facing the firewall) towards the top. It has a single 12v connection that when it recieves power, moves a rod and allows fuel into the carb during cranking/running. If it doesn't have power, it blocks the flow of fuel to aid in shutoff.

EDIT: Do you have an Aisin carb on the 2F in your '71? I'm curious about the 'no wires' thing too. Have we officially hijacked this thread yet?

Last edited:
Original Carb from the '71 f now on the late model 2f as well as manifold. No electrical hookups. Still stock, never been rebuilt.

Not yet.. Im about to go out and giver a try... *crosses fingers*

Original Carb from the '71 f now on the late model 2f as well as manifold. No electrical hookups. Still stock, never been rebuilt.

Does it have anything in the place of #75 in this picture?
http://www.sor.com/shared/image/042B.gif

CrazyGeek,
I hope the wiring works! Will this be the first time you've had it running?

Yes... it will be...

Well she turned over but no start... Coil got real hot..

What could it be? + on coil goes to battery via starter
- on Coil going to Distributor

Everything else is good... (i think) Bad coil?

I would check for spark.

copy/paste

"the best way is to put a phillips screwdriver in the spark plug wire where it plugs into the plug then set it close to the valve cover, not tuching it then turn the starter an watch for the spark"

Yes... it will be...

Well she turned over but no start... Coil got real hot..

What could it be? + on coil goes to battery via starter
- on Coil going to Distributor

Everything else is good... (i think) Bad coil?

Does the coil have an internal resistor? I doubt that would keep it from starting, but it might shorten the life of the coil and/or points.(EDIT: if you're not running the power through a resistor of some sort, whether internal or external)

You might need a few more hands to check since you're manually arcing the starter connections, but are you getting spark to the plug wires?
You are using an OE style mechanical fuel pump and not an aftermarket electrical one right?
Do you have 12v going to the idle soleniod on the carb?

Last edited:
Ill check for spark.. I have a handy switch so I dont have to do the arc thing with a screwdriver...

I am using the OE mech fuel pump.. my selenoid is kaputs.. one of the wires broke.. But Im feeding the carb manualy...

I just want it to start so I can move on in the restoration...:crybaby:

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom