just installed the TRD Supercharger! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.linkedin.com
13Jul2005 (UTC +8)

It took me and another guy two full days to get it in. What a bitchin' hard work! :D Started it up last night, and aside from the loose fuel rail connection which spilled some fuel while idling and revving, we had no other problems. No check-engine light :) Just fixing up the ECUs in the glove-box and we're ready to take it to the road.

One thing I noted though, is that the air intake valves are dirty. I attribute this to the dusty roads I get into often, and that the K&N air filter isn't the best for the job. Because of this, I should also have my v8 injectors cleaned just to complete the job. Got new coolant in, cleaned the intake manifold ports, checked the valve clearances, and measured that the engine compression is good.

About engine compression, I measured an average of 186psi on four of my cylinders. The minimum is 142psi, but the repair manual expects at least 192psi. I poured some oil in the spark plug hole, but the compression readings remained the same. Unfortunately, after I wiped some crud off the air intake manifold, I didn't measure the engine compression again. Should I have peace of mind with what I have done and observed so far?

to I4C4LO: what made your s/c belt broke a couple of years ago? It was the wrong installation of the pulley, right?

As long as a leakdown test shows even pressure across all of the cylinders and that pressure is above the minimum you are set. Besides forced induction works best with lower compression ratios right? :D

Congrats on the S/C you lucky dog!

Nice! Congrats.

Do you still get the TRD warannty on a self install?

You are going to love this gadget; beware of the right foot; I drive mine real easy. Here in Denver, I-70 is the test road. Before the SC, my 94-FZJ80 would do an honest 55 at full throddel; after, 1/2 gas its doing 65 and climbing. The big red beast really hauls ass...

congrates on the supercharger, this is the one that you bought the ECU for ?

K&N filters suck. The allow more particulate matter to pass through the medium which is why they flow more air and give you that whopping 3 extra horsepower. You should be using a nice paper filter to keep that motor clean. When you drive on a dusty road, blow the filter out with compressed air afterwards, being careful not to use too much pressure and tear the filter.

I carry an extra filter in the truck.

calamaridog said:
K&N filters suck. The allow more particulate matter to pass through the medium which is why they flow more air and give you that whopping 3 extra horsepower. You should be using a nice paper filter to keep that motor clean. When you drive on a dusty road, blow the filter out with compressed air afterwards, being careful not to use too much pressure and tear the filter.

I carry an extra filter in the truck.

hey clamaridog what kind of filters you using? Do you have a S/C installed?

Just finished the install of a trd supercharger on my 98 land cruiser. But now there is no response from the pedal. Almost like the control sensor is not working....but we checked that and it works. We even left it at a Toyota dealership for a week and the have no idea.......Anyone have any clue????
:confused:

Bad azz Cruiser said:
hey clamaridog what kind of filters you using? Do you have a S/C installed?

I'm just stock for now and will always use a high quality paper filter such as the OEM or WIX paper filters. If the filter flows more air then it also flows more dirt and particulate matter. It is a simple concept.

macneill said:
Nice! Congrats.

Do you still get the TRD warannty on a self install?

Don't know... Besides, I think our tech (including OBD-II readers, manuals, enthusiasm, ih8mud.com and Toyota Diagnostic reader) is far more advanced than Toyota Philippines :D

Mor4wd said:
Just finished the install of a trd supercharger on my 98 land cruiser. But now there is no response from the pedal. Almost like the control sensor is not working....but we checked that and it works. We even left it at a Toyota dealership for a week and the have no idea.......Anyone have any clue????
:confused:

When I was testing engine compression, I saw that pulling the throttle cable doesn't really open the throttle valve very much. I had to hold it open with a wrench so I can get good readings.

This leads me to think that you might have an ECU related problem? Do you have a check engine light on?

nmostofi said:
congrates on the supercharger, this is the one that you bought the ECU for ?

Thanks and yup, the ECU works very well!

One note though: I got my TRD S/C kit for a Sequoia because it was what was available and cheaper than the Tundra s/c. It turn good for me because the Tundra s/c belt is about 70mm longer than the Sequoia/Land Cruiser/LX 470 s/c!

Besides the belt, what are the differences in the S/C kits for the Sequoia, Tundra and LC kits?

drexx said:
When I was testing engine compression, I saw that pulling the throttle cable doesn't really open the throttle valve very much. I had to hold it open with a wrench so I can get good readings.

This leads me to think that you might have an ECU related problem? Do you have a check engine light on?

I do have a check engine light on. And i cannot get the code to erase with the ODB-II.

Mor4wd said:
I do have a check engine light on. And i cannot get the code to erase with the ODB-II.

What code are you throwing? I can look it up in my FSM... What Toyota dealer was the truck at? I want to avoid going there:D

calamaridog said:
What code are you throwing? I can look it up in my FSM... What Toyota dealer was the truck at? I want to avoid going there:D

The code im showing is P1121. The book says it is a "throttle positioning sensor 1,2 circuit performance/ fuel injector secondary system circuit low." I went through the steps in my toyota book, and from what im seeing, the throttle sensor is working. Maybe you know.

P1121 - Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Range/Performance Problem

trouble area: Accelerator pedal position sensor

If in doubt, replace the part. Also, the TPS and the APS work together. Don't know for sure. Have you asked for help at Tundra Solutions? I know some folks over there are using the SC on the 4.7v8.

The TPS sensor is only $60, the APS is $200. I’ll bet it’s the TPS. The trouble here is that it needs to be set up, and with out a scan tool, it’s vary hard. You can do what I did; put it on in the same location (in relation to how much gap showing around the washers). The range is such that it will more than likely be ok; just have someone check tolerances with the scan tool.
If you end up needing a APS let me know, I can overnight it to you. It’s brand new and form C’Dan, I have the receipt and will send it with the part cost $200. List I think was ~260.
Dean

DMX84 said:
The TPS sensor is only $60, the APS is $200. I’ll bet it’s the TPS. The trouble here is that it needs to be set up, and with out a scan tool, it’s vary hard. You can do what I did; put it on in the same location (in relation to how much gap showing around the washers). The range is such that it will more than likely be ok; just have someone check tolerances with the scan tool.
If you end up needing a APS let me know, I can overnight it to you. It’s brand new and form C’Dan, I have the receipt and will send it with the part cost $200. List I think was ~260.
Dean
What and where is the APS??? I have no idea what that is. I believe that I have the TPS pictured, corrrect? If if turns out that it is that APS i will be interested in getting that from you. Thanks, let me know.
Picture 011.jpg
Picture 010.jpg

19Jul2005 (UTC +8)

Mor4wd said:
The code im showing is P1121. The book says it is a "throttle positioning sensor 1,2 circuit performance/ fuel injector secondary system circuit low." I went through the steps in my toyota book, and from what im seeing, the throttle sensor is working. Maybe you know.

I had a similar, if not exact, trouble code. At first I thought it was because of all the dielectric grease I put on all the connectors in the engine bay, and/or we plugged them wrong. After double-checking we got all them plugged correctly and that the fuel rail connections nice and tight, I reset the engine DTC's with my www.obd2.com scanner, the DTC's never did come back on. We now have several 10's of miles in the UZJ-100 :D with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom