Just inherited '82 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First Post-

I was just handed down a 1982 FJ40 from my Dad. It has been in the family for over 30 years, but has not been started or moved out of the garage in the last 20. It was in generally good condition, weekend driver with around 50k miles before being parked.

My question is, where do I start? I have never taken on a project like this, and my most mechanical experience was changing out vehicle springs when we snapped them in Afghanistan. I don't need a show truck, just something to take camping, drive on the beach , and do some of the trails around Virginia on the weekends.

Any advice?

Everybody is going to have a different opinion but most will say something along theses lines.

Grab a quart of ATF, pull the plugs, and pour a few ounces down each hole.
Slowly turn the engine over, either by putting a wrench on the crank nut or moving the truck in gear. (Dont start the truck or try and spin it with the starter)

Let it sit while you:

Drain flush and fill all fluids. Coolant, Brakes, engine,tranny, T-case, fuel tank, everything. The carb is likely dry but pull the float bowl drain anyway. Pay attention to the condition of any fuel that comes out. if its rusty at all pull the tank and get it flushed/fixed. (Pumping rusty fuel into the system is a bad idea)

Pull the air cleaner off and check for any nests and debri.

Give the vacuum hoses a squeeze and replace anything that is cracked.

Basically spend a few hours going over the truck looking for stuff that is chewed/plugged/stuck/gummed/etc. (Stored inside for 20 years can mean a ton of different things...)

Your goal here is to limit the chance anything is damaged before engaging the starter. Other than the fuel tank thing none of this is all that hard.

With the plugs out but attached to their wires and grounded to the valve cover put a fresh battery in it and give it a crank. If the engine spins easily and the plugs spark add some fuel and try again with the plugs in. Chances are the truck will start and run. Resist the urge for a test drive as your rear brake cylinders are likely going to need to be replaced. A CAREFUL drive around the block is in order as long as you dont live at the top of a hill ;)

A running cruiser is good, a running stopping cruiser is better. Get the brake system serviced and then start chassing down the vacuum leaks from dried out lines. If it was truly left alone 20 years ago it might have had non ethanol fuel in the carb which could run without a re-build. (Not likely but possible)

Take pics of the thing and show them to us!!!

Welcome!
The very good news is that it was parked in a garage for the past 20 years instead of out in a field growing rust.
There will be plenty of opinions that you'll get here and most will be much more relevant than mine. "squeezer" made some very excellent comments above so I won't try to duplicate and add more. One difference for me is that I use Marvel Mystery Oil, instead of ATF, to lubricate the cylinders. Probably no difference, but adding a "mystery" oil sounds kind of cool.
It will be a lot of upfront work, but this will help to minimize any damage that may occur if you rush to get it on the road.

Enjoy and share a few pics.

@ANGLICO0861 ...... "Any advice?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------
First and foremost, thank your lucky stars for having a great dad with good taste in automobiles. :)

Everybody is going to have a different opinion but most will say something along theses lines.

Grab a quart of ATF, pull the plugs, and pour a few ounces down each hole.
Slowly turn the engine over, either by putting a wrench on the crank nut or moving the truck in gear. (Dont start the truck or try and spin it with the starter)

Let it sit while you:

Drain flush and fill all fluids. Coolant, Brakes, engine,tranny, T-case, fuel tank, everything. The carb is likely dry but pull the float bowl drain anyway. Pay attention to the condition of any fuel that comes out. if its rusty at all pull the tank and get it flushed/fixed. (Pumping rusty fuel into the system is a bad idea)

Pull the air cleaner off and check for any nests and debri.

Give the vacuum hoses a squeeze and replace anything that is cracked.

Basically spend a few hours going over the truck looking for stuff that is chewed/plugged/stuck/gummed/etc. (Stored inside for 20 years can mean a ton of different things...)

Your goal here is to limit the chance anything is damaged before engaging the starter. Other than the fuel tank thing none of this is all that hard.

With the plugs out but attached to their wires and grounded to the valve cover put a fresh battery in it and give it a crank. If the engine spins easily and the plugs spark add some fuel and try again with the plugs in. Chances are the truck will start and run. Resist the urge for a test drive as your rear brake cylinders are likely going to need to be replaced. A CAREFUL drive around the block is in order as long as you dont live at the top of a hill ;)

A running cruiser is good, a running stopping cruiser is better. Get the brake system serviced and then start chassing down the vacuum leaks from dried out lines. If it was truly left alone 20 years ago it might have had non ethanol fuel in the carb which could run without a re-build. (Not likely but possible)

Take pics of the thing and show them to us!!!

Thank you very much. I will post some pics soon. The truck is being shipped up to VA and I will get them to snap a few photos before it goes up on the flatbed this week.

Anyone know of any Land Cruiser experts in Northern Virginia if I get to a point where "righty-tighty, leftie-loosie" is not sufficient mechanical knowledge?

I will second the use of the Marvel Mystery oil down the spark plug holes. Let it sit for days with fresh applications regularly. See if you can find the hand crank, or buy a new or used one, they come in very handy for many uses, like slowly turning the engine over listening and feeling for any hesitations and protestations.
Use the MMO sitting time to go through your braking AND steering systems.
You'll probably want to start shopping for new tires too.
Almost nothing more expensive than a free LandCruiser...

Definitely come introduce yourself and more importantly :flipoff2: your truck in the CLCC sub forum. We're an active club with regular tech days and monthly meetings. We're also lucky enough to have a premier Land Cruiser mechanic just 45 minutes west in Bealeton, VA, www.otramm.com. Ryan @OTRAMM is a sponsoring vendor on these forums and an overall good dude. Search him up on YouTube for great Land Cruiser technical videos. Hit him up if you get overwhelmed and just need something done and done right. And as others have said, read through this forum and use the search function. It doesn't matter what you run in to working on your 40, you are NOT the first person to have the issue so the solution will most likely be on here somewhere.

Pics or this is fake news. Welcome to Mud. Cruisers are like lays chips. Just can’t have one 🤣

Ok seriously its been 7hrs and not a single pic!!!!!

Im calling BS on this lol

Maybe this (OP’s avatar):
169503.jpg

This is fantastic in so many ways. Nothing like a good original family vehicle, especially a 40 series!

As others have alluded to, just make sure major condensation hasn't got into the fuel tank or engine. Definitely drain the fuel and I be very surprised if carby not need new gaskets, throttle plunger and a good clean.
Personally, I would replace all the hoses, belt and plug leads straight up.
Clutch slave and brakes should be overhauled as a precaution. With the low mileage that thing should have a heap of life left in it.:cool:

I got all excited when I saw 82... yeah let's see the pics already! hoping for another 653 olive... :)

It is blue and still has the original paint. It is pictured in my avatar on our first trip to Fort Wilderness (I am the taller child, making the goofy face). It is hard to see but there is a travel trailer in the pic. We probably did @ 10 trips with the trailer, so I wonder if that put any strain on the drivetrain.

Please be patient on pictures, after much discussion it was just decided that the Land Cruiser would be going to me. The vehicle is located in West Palm Beach, and I am in the DC area awaiting a flatbed for it. My parents aren't as mobile as they used to be, but they are trying to get into the packed garage to get some pics.

I am looking forward to joining the local clubs.

Last edited:
... that the Land Rover would be going to me...

:facepalm:

Repeat after me.... "Land Cruiser, FJ40, Cruiser, 40, Land Cruiser, FJ40, Cruiser, 40, Land Cruiser FJ40, Cruiser, 40."

Just pulling your leg, but that might be just a bit worse than calling it a Jeep. :grinpimp:

:facepalm:

Repeat after me.... "Land Cruiser, FJ40, Cruiser, 40, Land Cruiser, FJ40, Cruiser, 40, Land Cruiser FJ40, Cruiser, 40."

Just pulling your leg, but that might be just a bit worse than calling it a Jeep. :grinpimp:
Oops, might happen a couple times I am afraid, while I adjust.

I am sure it is sacrilege , but my current vehicle is a Land Rover Range Rover Sport.

I do recommend Lance at IronPig Off-road

Hopefully, we will see some pictures and maybe see you at one of the east coast events next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom