Just inherited '82 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The gas tank is in rough shape and needs replacement. It is amazing that what came out of the tank was once gasoline.

There are earlier model 40 gas tanks everywhere, but any thoughts on a good source for an '82?

The gas tank is in rough shape and needs replacement. It is amazing that what came out of the tank was once gasoline.

There are earlier model 40 gas tanks everywhere, but any thoughts on a good source for an '82?

I have an 82 in good shape. Only $50, but shipping from WA would likely be expensive. PM me if interested and I'll get you some pics.

Are they no longer available new from the dealer? I bought one 3-4 years ago for my 82.

Are they no longer available new from the dealer? I bought one 3-4 years ago for my 82.

No longer available. I did find it in Japan, but it was $600 (assuming amayama actually has it and doesn't cancel the order).

Screenshot_20200707-214140_Chrome.jpg

I am having some trouble with terminology with my mechanic who is helping me with my gas tank swap and a few other things. I have looked at the drawings and haven't been able to find/understand the answer either.

in the attached picture, what are the 2 parts that go into those 2 holes in the tank. I have ordered the sending unit which goes in one, but what goes in the other one? both need to be replaced:

images.jpg

I am having some trouble with terminology with my mechanic who is helping me with my gas tank swap and a few other things. I have looked at the drawings and haven't been able to find/understand the answer either.

in the attached picture, what are the 2 parts that go into those 2 holes in the tank. I have ordered the sending unit which goes in one, but what goes in the other one? both need to be replaced:

View attachment 2367682

As I mentioned to you via PM it is the fuel suction tube. OEM is NLA. I reused my old one on mine.

Yep, got it now thanks.

Seems like it is NLA from Toyota. Anyone know of any solutions?

Check the various sellers/yards. Someone is bound to have one. Classic Cruisers, Cruiser parts, cruiser solutions, mark's offroad, sor, etc...

Just got the wheels put back on with the new tires. I love them. For anyone interested, these are 31 x 10.5 x 15 Firestone Destination MT2 on stocks springs and wheels.

One question I have which is obvious from the picture...no locking hubs? I know the 4wd works, I have engaged 4hi and 4lo and all four wheels turned.

Could this have been an aftermarket modification?

20200713_151051.jpg

20200713_151151.jpg

That's how they came from the factory. Most dealers installed Warn hubs as an option. This is what you need if you want locking hubs. You'll need the gaskets too but it's a pretty easy bolt on affair.

Looks great BTW!

That's how they came from the factory. Most dealers installed Warn hubs as an option. This is what you need if you want locking hubs. You'll need the gaskets too but it's a pretty easy bolt on affair.

Looks great BTW!
Ah, ok thank you. What would be the benefit of the locking hubs?

It disconnects the spinning wheel from the axle shaft. So with locking hubs unlocked and in 2wd neither the front drive shaft nor the front axle turns. With the flanges you have on there, in 2wd, the wheels turn the axle which in turn turns the front drive shaft, even if the transfer case is disconnected from the drive shaft.

The idea is less wear if none of that is spinning. Some feel like there's an MPG benefit but I'm not so sure.

Yes definitely you will have a hard time finding a difference in wear on a 40 transmission... And on the opposite side, trucks with free wheeling hub that don't engage 4wd frequently enough will often have the front diff not oiled correctly and it's probably a bigger issue (owner manual asks to drive with hubs locked at least once a month if I remember correctly).

Fuel consumption difference is discussed a lot... hard to say as a lot of things have influence on that and every cruiser is a little different. Anyway at best the difference is very small.
But the biggest advantage I find to free wheeling hub is a slightly lighter steering wheel if you don't have PS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom