Just inherited '82 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Or, update to an EFI system and put a Holley Sniper on it? :hillbilly:

IMG_6802.JPG

IMG_6657.JPG

If you don't mind veering away from stock, I've heard really good things about EFI on 40's. @SteveH I think is running a variant of this. So many options and opinions! I think caring for all of the mechanical stuff first, get her running right and then tackle drivability once you can experience it on the road for awhile. Enjoy the weekend!

I don't know a lot about the Webers so I could be could wrong but don't you have to change throttle and choke cables to run a Weber? Point being, if he's going to put the Aisin back on it'll be a bit more than just pulling the Weber and putting the Aisin back on. Plus the Aisin I'm sure would need a rebuild.

There are tons of people running Webers who are perfectly happy with them so it's possible to get them running right. I don't think there's a marked improvement with running them though. I'm guessing early on people just didn't know the Aisin carbs as well as they do now.

I don't know a lot about the Webers so I could be could wrong but don't you have to change throttle and choke cables to run a Weber? Point being, if he's going to put the Aisin back on it'll be a bit more than just pulling the Weber and putting the Aisin back on. Plus the Aisin I'm sure would need a rebuild.

There are tons of people running Webers who are perfectly happy with them so it's possible to get them running right. I don't think there's a marked improvement with running them though. I'm guessing early on people just didn't know the Aisin carbs as well as they do now.
I believe this is right including the gas pedal too....?

Gas pedals are easily bent/modified as most are for Weber/Holley applications. However, the linkage is almost 100% yanked and replaced with some cable and corresponding hole drilled in the firewall.

The drum I keep beating is, if you go through the trouble to correct it, it will be easier to follow along in any service manual, at any parts store, shopping on any land cruiser site, etc..

However, yes, Weber's are not trash - and dialed in with a header will make any 2F as snappy as it can be. I feel for the OP at this point, because not only do we love working on cruisers, we (I, especially) love back seat driving everyone elses projects!

I am afraid this has all become moot. For a variety of reasons the communication coming from my parents house isn't always clear. There was no Aisin carb in the box.

I will be sticking with the Weber and making that work. From my reading the larger 38/38 carbs on later model 40's did, in fact require a lot of other changes including the pedal.

@ANGLICO0861 I'm in a similar boat, just acquired my first FJ40 and don't have a ton of mechanical experience. This site has been a mountain of help though. Mine has a non-stock carb, that doesn't work too well, but it does work. I have lots of little issues to work through and a ton to learn, BUT: I've driven it every day since I brought it home and the kids love it, so all is well.

Note: I grew up in Old Town on Prince St, next time I'm down visiting the folks, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a blue 40...

If you don't have some already, get a can of PB blaster at any hardware store. It's magic for rusted on parts like bolts and was the only way to get my drums off.

@ANGLICO0861 I'm in a similar boat, just acquired my first FJ40 and don't have a ton of mechanical experience. This site has been a mountain of help though. Mine has a non-stock carb, that doesn't work too well, but it does work. I have lots of little issues to work through and a ton to learn, BUT: I've driven it every day since I brought it home and the kids love it, so all is well.

Note: I grew up in Old Town on Prince St, next time I'm down visiting the folks, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a blue 40...

If you don't have some already, get a can of PB blaster at any hardware store. It's magic for rusted on parts like bolts and was the only way to get my drums off.
Thanks for the PB tip.

I am in Cameron Station which may not have even existed when you left. I can't wait until mine is ready to drive, I am hoping by Labor Day.

Correct and a good choice. I have K02s on my Tacoma and they're great.
So the shop where I was getting my tires, was leading me on and today (install day) say they won't be able to get the KO2s until August. Out of principle and not wanting to wait I am going to cancel and reorder. It seems like everyone is out of the KO2s.

I was curious if anyone was running a full mud tire and also doing mostly street driving, any issues? Anyone have a M/T they really like?

Size will still be 31 x 10.5 x 15

Check with Costco if you have one nearby. I got my KO2s in 31x10.5R15 from there. The price was reasonable and they had them in stock.

So the shop where I was getting my tires, was leading me on and today (install day) say they won't be able to get the KO2s until August. Out of principle and not wanting to wait I am going to cancel and reorder. It seems like everyone is out of the KO2s.

I was curious if anyone was running a full mud tire and also doing mostly street driving, any issues? Anyone have a M/T they really like?

If you're not daily driving it there's no issue running MTs. I run the KM3s on my 80 series and they're fine on the road. Have you checked Costco? That's where I got my KM3s. The only caveat there is you need to take the old tires in loose if you're plusing up from the factory size. But once you get them on you get lifetime balance and rotations which is s a pretty good deal for AT/MTs.

If you're not daily driving it there's no issue running MTs. I run the KM3s on my 80 series and they're fine on the road. Have you checked Costco? That's where I got my KM3s. The only caveat there is you need to take the old tires in loose if you're plusing up from the factory size. But once you get them on you get lifetime balance and rotations which is s a pretty good deal for AT/MTs.
Yep, Costco is out of both KO2 and KM3.

Tire Rack has KM3 and some Destination MTs. The Firestones look like an older tire, if that makes sense and I thought visually that might be a better fit

For my next mount I'm going with Michelin O/R XZL. They are military grade, excellent on mud, rocks and sand, very very strong steel flank and a rubber that last longer (in time before to dry) than other tires.
But I don't know if they are easily available in the US (pretty sure US army use them) and the only 4wd size still available is 7.50*16, after that you get on truck sizes.

I got a 33 x 10.5 x 15 A/T KO2 from BJs last week. They said it would take a couple days to come in, but then called 2 hours later to say it was already there. It's the bigger size than you're looking for, but they had it local (New England).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom